Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

EGT Temps

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGT Temps

Can someone shed some light on exactly what I need to monitor EGT's with my ECU PLUS? Is there a specifc probe to use? and whats the extra part thats mentioned.

One of the spare inputs is calibrated to datalog EGT values (as degrees F) using an external EGT probe and an inexpensive EGT-to-5v adapter ($40, sold separately)
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Yep, I can help. I originally found the adapter on the AEM forums. The probe is a kart one, so it's extremely fast. It's also shielded, so there is no tip to break off. Best of it's 33 bucks + shipping. So for a little over $80 + shipping, you have EGT logging.

This is the adapter, http://www.o2simulator.com/AEMEGTADAPTER.html $40

This is where I got my probe from www.cometkartsales.com EG60-SMX-A Exhaust Lead $33.00

This is where I got my fitting from www.mcmaster.com part number 8239K13 ~$8

The fitting is SS so it can either be tapped into the current cast manifold or welded to a SS header.

This is the topic on the ECU+ forums. http://www.ecuplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=198

Basic steps are mount the fitting, set the probes depth - which should be around 1/2 way in, ground for the probe, mount adapter, snip leads off probe, wire in probe, wire in to ecu+. The adapter needs a ground and 12v+. Make sure it's a switched 12v, so the battery doesn't get killed. I pulled mine off the radio's switched source.

Ivan
Old Nov 9, 2005, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Is this the only probe thats useable?

If not what kind of output does the probe need to have if they are different I mean.

Thanks IVAN once again your a huge help on ECU+ man!
Old Nov 9, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Ivan

1. DO you have a stock EXH mani or SS aftermarket one?

2. Where did you weld your adapter?

3. Any pics?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Nope, any K-type probe can be used. I picked that one because it's cheap and fast. I also have used it before, I help my friend race karts. Which is how I knew of it.

I have a MR header, which is supposed to be SS. I welded the fitting on cylinder 1 about 2-3 inches from the head. I don't have any pics yet, but I can try to get some in the next couple of days.

Yeah no sweat, glad I could help.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thats the exact same Header I have. I'd love to see how you mounted yours, just to see if my heat shield would interfere with it.

I just ordered all the parts man, thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ivan_C
Yep, I can help. I originally found the adapter on the AEM forums. The probe is a kart one, so it's extremely fast. It's also shielded, so there is no tip to break off. Best of it's 33 bucks + shipping. So for a little over $80 + shipping, you have EGT logging.

This is the adapter, http://www.o2simulator.com/AEMEGTADAPTER.html $40

This is where I got my fitting from www.mcmaster.com part number 8239K13 ~$8

The fitting is SS so it can either be tapped into the current cast manifold or welded to a SS header.

Ivan
If my EGT gauge already comes with probe can I still use ths adapter ?
Old Nov 15, 2005, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
If my EGT gauge already comes with probe can I still use ths adapter ?
I don't know if it can be tapped for both. It would be worth a shot. Maybe someone else that knows more can chime in.

I say try it, you should know the temps the car runs. If both gauges display the same temps before, then you're good.

Last edited by Ivan_C; Dec 26, 2005 at 11:13 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

I figure it should, but hey if I knew for sure I wouldnt be asking right. ha ha ha ha

Hey Ivan, any pics of where u mounted that EGT fitting?
Old Dec 21, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

This was asked earlier, but wasn’t really verified if it would work. I have a Zeitronix Zt-2 to log EGT. If I hook up the 5V EGT probe adapter, will both work correctly? Has anyone attempted to do this with or without success? I know I can log with the Zt-2 software, but I would like ECU+ to log everything if possible.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Eshark
This was asked earlier, but wasn’t really verified if it would work. I have a Zeitronix Zt-2 to log EGT. If I hook up the 5V EGT probe adapter, will both work correctly? Has anyone attempted to do this with or without success? I know I can log with the Zt-2 software, but I would like ECU+ to log everything if possible.
I am in the same boat as you, Eshark. It seems there are lots of us who don't want to throw away our Zeitronix ZT-2 investment just to pay more for additional EGT/MAP Sensors because the ECU+ won't support them. I asked this same question on the ECU+ forum website and this was the reply:

"This is a no-go. The Zeitronix has an output for wideband AFR readings, and the ECU+ includes a calibration for that output, but the other two (EGT and boost) won't work. These signals aren't "tappable," so you'd have to buy a second EGT probe (and the o2simulator.com adapter) along with a second MAP sensor to log all of this stuff with the ECU+. " found at http://www.ecuplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=258

I'm still confused on this, as I found this post
Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
I have the 3.5bar map sensor from Kavlico (The AEM EMS one) and I am currently using it to do this... UTEC input, Zeitronix Input, Alchy Control Input, and MAFT Pro Input.
I'm pretty sure the Zeitronix MAP sensor is the Kavlico unit (it says so on the install PDF on their website: http://www.zeitronix.com/installatio...structions.pdf ).. so.. it somehow works with the UTEC (and presumably the AEM EMS) and the Zeitronix ZT2 unit.. but not with the ECU+?

So, either you pay and wire up multiple EGT/MAP sensors or you have to tune your car by looking at two different software packages (Zeitronix & ECU+) just to get your tune right. I, personally, think this is a ghetto method of tuning your car and increases the risk of messing something up.

-nixx

Last edited by nixx; Dec 26, 2005 at 07:52 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nixx
I'm still confused on this, as I found this post

I'm pretty sure the Zeitronix MAP sensor is the Kavlico unit (it says so on the install PDF on their website: http://www.zeitronix.com/installatio...structions.pdf ).. so.. it somehow works with the UTEC (and presumably the AEM EMS) and the Zeitronix ZT2 unit.. but not with the ECU+?
I'm starting to get confused, too! Let me clarify:

- AFR: the ECU+ directly supports this output of the ZT-2, so logging this is no problem.

- Boost: I was confused on this. If the ZT-2's MAP sensor is in fact the same one as the "AEM 3.5 bar" unit, then the ECU+ will probably work with it. I have the calibration for it in the software, so it should work, assuming the ZT-2 doesn't mess up the signal. The issue is the respective input impedances of the ECU+ and ZT-2 - if they're both very high (I know the ECU+'s is), then things will work. You'll have to check with Zeitronix to see what the input impedance on their MAP sensor input is.

- EGT: I'm gonna revise my statement on this. K-type thermocouples (EGT probes) produce a really tiny voltage, and a tiny voltage difference per degree C. I was thinking that this signal just plain couldn't be tapped to two different EGT inputs, but the more I think about it, the more I think it might work. But the only way to find out is to check with both Zeitronix and the guy at o2simulator.com. If both say it'll work, then the ECU+ should be able to log EGTs (though you still need to buy the o2simulator.com EGT adapter - the ECU+ uses its output).

Tom
Old Dec 26, 2005, 05:17 PM

I E-mailed Zeitronix and in less than 30 minutes got confirmation from them that the Zeitronix ZT2 has a "very high impedance boost input" and that I "can split the MAP signal into both devices." So.. theoretically it seems one could use the Zeitronix MAP sensor with the ECU+. However, Zeitronix stated this in regards to their EGT Sensor: "Some devices insert noise into the K circuit. We do not recommend splitting the signal." I have no clue what that means, as I'm not an engineer.. will the ECU+ or the Zeitronix ZT2 unit cause noise?

I hope this clarifies things a bit. A big thumbs-up to Zeitronix customer support as well!

-nixx
Old Dec 26, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nixx
I E-mailed Zeitronix and in less than 30 minutes got confirmation from them that the Zeitronix ZT2 has a "very high impedance boost input" and that I "can split the MAP signal into both devices." So.. theoretically it seems one could use the Zeitronix MAP sensor with the ECU+.
Cool. That's exactly what we need to hear.

However, Zeitronix stated this in regards to their EGT Sensor: "Some devices insert noise into the K circuit. We do not recommend splitting the signal." I have no clue what that means, as I'm not an engineer.. will the ECU+ or the Zeitronix ZT2 unit cause noise?
I think he's saying that if the other device adds noise, then the ZT-2 won't read correctly. And remember, to read EGTs with the ECU+, you use the o2simulator.com device to connect to the probe - the ECU+ reads the output of that device. So you'll want to check with them to see if they recommend allowing two devices to connect to the same sensor. What'll probably happen is that multiple devices will degrade the accuracy of the EGT measurement, though it's kinda hard to say how much until you try it.

Tom