Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

ECU+ Remote display prototype..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 07:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I am going to try to make a standalone logger available if the unit I'm looking at is ever in stock.. If it works well, then it would be just a simple logging device without a display that captures the raw files, Hopefully I can work with Tom to let it open the raw files directly or I can write a tool to parse it..

The display prototype is still looking for a brain, the two microcontrollers I've tried suffer from slow serial ports.. I have another demo board i'm looking at thats supposed to support up to six serial devices at 64kbps which should be more than enough for anything I decide to log with it.. I'm certainly not a Embedded systems programmer, but I'm familiar enough with it to be comfortable that I can do it. I was hoping that I could use a Basic Stamp, or some variation of a Pic microcontroller since both use a variant of interpretted or compiled basic, if I had to move to C or C++ I'd have to basically relearn all the stuff I forgot from not using it.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Programming mumbo jumbo, impressive though. Keep up the work so we all can get our paws on this
Old Nov 17, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
OMG JACK, i just freakin' posted a question and you had the answer already. kick me.

so what is the full function of this unit?

scrollable logs?

real time sensor readings?

logging with out a computer?

Last edited by trinydex; Nov 17, 2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice. I think I'd be more interested in a very simple dislpay that you can show one or two parameters. I'd like to display AFR and knock count (once that is finally implimented in the ecu+)

I'm currently designing a bracket to hold my laptop to the rear seat "V" brace that can be seen when you take the rear seat back off, for when I go racing. This is why I would really only be interested in a simple display for a daily-type purpouse. (lol even though I rarely "daily" this car)
Old Nov 17, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

well if you're doin' something like strapping a laptop down why not just use the palm softwre and have palm display those values.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:44 PM
EvoM Guru

So far the prototype is PC based, and runs off the same sourcecode that Mitsulogger is running, But ultimately the unit will be purely an embedded device..

In reality its become alot more difficult to find an embedded platform that is both affordable and capable of doing this easily. I have a logger device that I have found that records a serial data stream, but it lacks a display output.. I'm in the process of working through different things.. So it'll take some time.

If you guys haven't already noticed, I have about a half dozen projects going on at the same time that I split my free time between.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
well if you're doin' something like strapping a laptop down why not just use the palm softwre and have palm display those values.
well... that'd be a good idea... except 2 things:
1. I cant get my palm to hotsync w/ anything...
2. Even if I could, ECU+ doesn't show knock count. That's really the parameter I find most important to have visible.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 06:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Unfortunately knock count is only something useful if it comes from the ECU..

Until we know 100% how the ECU determines knock (using its knock filters) there is no way to reproduce the count external to the ECU..

With that said.. I have heard that Tom has been working on MUT logging internally to the ECU+ where it can be logged with the ECU+ only I don't know how far along he might be.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

wow... are there developments to get ecu+ to read timing too? then we'd only need ecuflash for flashing and maybe mitsulogger or evoscan to find load cells.

Originally Posted by honki24
well... that'd be a good idea... except 2 things:
1. I cant get my palm to hotsync w/ anything...
2. Even if I could, ECU+ doesn't show knock count. That's really the parameter I find most important to have visible.
as for this i'm confused... cuz this is the ecu+ display thread....
Old Nov 20, 2006, 07:24 AM
EvoM Guru

ECU+ does actually read timing, but its not from the ECU
Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, this is really great stuff. I guess it helps to be MalibuJack... Tom wouldn't release his serial protocol to me for a similar project. I'd buy this in a second, especially if the Palm support is getting removed from the ECU+ package.

EDIT -- Whoa, I just realized that this thread was last posted in 3 months ago! Is the project dead?

Last edited by Matz; Feb 6, 2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I am going to try to make a standalone logger available if the unit I'm looking at is ever in stock.. If it works well, then it would be just a simple logging device without a display that captures the raw files, Hopefully I can work with Tom to let it open the raw files directly or I can write a tool to parse it..

The display prototype is still looking for a brain, the two microcontrollers I've tried suffer from slow serial ports.. I have another demo board i'm looking at thats supposed to support up to six serial devices at 64kbps which should be more than enough for anything I decide to log with it.. I'm certainly not a Embedded systems programmer, but I'm familiar enough with it to be comfortable that I can do it. I was hoping that I could use a Basic Stamp, or some variation of a Pic microcontroller since both use a variant of interpretted or compiled basic, if I had to move to C or C++ I'd have to basically relearn all the stuff I forgot from not using it.

Jack, have you tried using RabbitCore modules? That's what we use for all of our products. I believe they can support up to 6 devices at 115.2kbps, depending on the model you get.

I have one of the lower-end RCM3000 modules w/o Ethernet at my house. If you'd like to try it out, let me know and I'll ship it to you. I might be able to borrow one of our development boards as well.

http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com

EDIT -- I forgot how expensive these things are... probably about $50 each! I wonder if a high speed PIC or PICdsp is the way to go. I believe the PICdsp will be able to do floating point math quickly.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Comon Malibu....

you got folks out here with big holes in the dash just waiting to give you some hard earned green for an indash logger / gauge. :lol
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:17 AM
EvoM Guru

LOL, its actually a good thing that it stalled for the time being, with all of the new features coming together with the ECU+, I want to be sure anything I do supports any new data that is streamed.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
Comon Malibu....

you got folks out here with big holes in the dash just waiting to give you some hard earned green for an indash logger / gauge. :lol

Yeah, I'm so excited I ordered one of those uLCDs because they have the graphics controller built in. So easy to use.