Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

COBB EVO AccessPORT released and DYNO results

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:37 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s2kguy - I bet COBB would offer a trade in option for you. They have the parts to rewrite the firmware. If this is possible, there would be a fee to go with it I assume. Worth a shot.

Stephen
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Gabe I bought this AP from you and should be gettin it tommorow. Im gettin a race gas tune by AMS for it and was wondering if the AP controls boost and Im boosting to 28psi am I goin to need a different wg actuator?
Old Oct 16, 2007, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

well, if you dont do your own tuning or dont have access to tuner in your area and just want stage 1, 2, valet, economy maps, product is great,

Its also great if you plan on keeping your car for a while, use it as gauge, measure 0-60, 1/4 mile and all other features it has or will have.

I am also pretty certain that once the X is out, a firmware upgrade will allow for the same AP to be used.

It also retains its value pretty well so at least you car resell it.

If i go to a tuner and pay for a dyno-tune, i will pay anywhere from 350USD to 500USD for a tune and end up with EcuFlash file, whats the resale value of that?

Originally Posted by s2kguy
The only reason i'll never buy the ap, though I considered one once upon a time, is that it can't be used with any type of car except the one it was bought for.

Example, lets say my evo gets totaled. I unmarry the ecu, but unless I get another evo IX its useless. If I bought a sti, wrx, Evo X, or whatever, it won't work. Its just another paper weight.

Yes, I could sell it. But its going to loose a ton of value from what I've seen being a former subie owner.

For almost $700, I can buy a cheap laptop and tactrix cable. The worst thing I'd have to do maybe buy a new tactrix cable if I wanted to use it on a different type of car.

Until the access port can be used universally without having to buy a whole new unit, its not really worth the expense.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 01:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pltek
well, if you dont do your own tuning or dont have access to tuner in your area and just want stage 1, 2, valet, economy maps, product is great,

Its also great if you plan on keeping your car for a while, use it as gauge, measure 0-60, 1/4 mile and all other features it has or will have.

I am also pretty certain that once the X is out, a firmware upgrade will allow for the same AP to be used.

It also retains its value pretty well so at least you car resell it.

If i go to a tuner and pay for a dyno-tune, i will pay anywhere from 350USD to 500USD for a tune and end up with EcuFlash file, whats the resale value of that?

Uh, if you go to a reputable tuner you will have the best possible map for your car making the most power it can SAFELY. Not some canned map that's build for dozens of various setups which you just toss on and run without having any idea of how its running.

You can probably find canned ecuflash froms for next to nothing.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Lol exactly why Im having AMS give me a pump gas map and race gas map. I only bought the AP for the ease of switching on the fly.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by denny424
Lol exactly why Im having AMS give me a pump gas map and race gas map. I only bought the AP for the ease of switching on the fly.
Just curious...did AMS say they could this right away or will you have to wait a bit?
Old Oct 16, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

They said I could do this right away but Im going to have to pay $495 to get it dyno tuned and I already got flashed by them once before but my old map cant be saved and they have to start over from scratch. Oh well its always something but yes they said they can do it immediatly and they dont even have the AP for the Evo yet.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

UUHH, you miss the point mang

there are many ways to tune an evo, stand-alone, ecuflash via email tune or dyno-tune, handheld device like the AP, etc. Every one of these options has its benefits and drawbacks based on what the customer wants, performance-wise, cost wise, convenience, resale value, etc.

So lets take a little piece of what i said and marry it to what you said and see what we get. I say again, sure you can get a tune from a tuner, reputable or not and pay anywhere b/w 350 and 500USD, depending on whether they charge per hour or per tune, thats provided you are using ECUFlash and no standalones or piggybacks. Yes you get the most optimum map in terms of safety and power. but then you decide to sell the car, and you can look at the ecuflash file and rename it and send it via email and change icon and stroke it and you will get 0USD for it, because thats how much its worth. With AccessPORT, at least you can unmarry it and get 450-550 or whatever going rate is.will be for a used one, so your cost of owning one will be about 150-250USD

Thats just a basic scenario, forget about all other features that AP has, canned maps that you can use will you are deciding as to what the ultimate set up for your car (by the way, most people go intake and tbe only anyhow) but these maps come with the AP so the are FREE, then you just get a Protune for say 300USD which is the going rate on the subie side and you are good to go.

By the way these canned maps you are talking about are a labor of work of many tuners around country and then compiled and put together by cobb, so much research and dyno and road tuning went into that map that comes with AP, then its also reworked based on customer feedbacks so it does end up being the most optimum to work around entire country. No idea how its running? Its called LOGGING, yes you can do it with a cobb map too.

I can probably find canned ecuflash maps for next to nothing, but thats how much they are worth.

dont get me wrong, i have an ecuflash map running on my car, labor of e-tunning process of flash, log, flash, log, flash, log and i will be dyno-tune with ecuflash map as well so i am not knocking anything else down, just saying that everyone of these technologies has it place.

and so on and so forth, sorry didnt mean to go off, PEACE

Originally Posted by Brian_H
Uh, if you go to a reputable tuner you will have the best possible map for your car making the most power it can SAFELY. Not some canned map that's build for dozens of various setups which you just toss on and run without having any idea of how its running.

You can probably find canned ecuflash froms for next to nothing.

Last edited by pltek; Oct 16, 2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

UUHH, you miss the point mang

there are many ways to tune an evo, stand-alone, ecuflash email tune or dyno-tune, handheld device like the AP, etc. Every one of these options has its benefits and drawbacks based on what the customer wants, performance-wise, cost wise, convenience, resale value, etc.

So lets take a little pice of what i said and marry it to what you said and see what we get. I say again, sure you can get a tune from a tuner, reputable or not and pay anywhere b/w 350 and 500USD, depending on whether they charge per hour or per tune, thats provided you are using ECUFlash and no standalones or piggybacks. Yes you get the most optimum map in terms of safety and power. but then you decide to sell the car, and you can look at the ecuflash file and rename it and send it via email and change icon and you will get 0USD for it, because thats how much its worth. With AccessPORT, at least you can unmarry it and get 450-550 or whatever going rate is.will be for a used one, so your cost of owning one will be about 150-250USD

Thats just a basic scenario, forget about all other features that AP has, canned maps that you can use will you are deciding as to what the ultimate set up for your car (by the way, most people go intake and tbe only anyhow) but these maps come with the AP so the are FREE, then you just get a Protune for say 300USD which is the going rate on the subie side and you are good to go.

and so on and so forth,

No I got the point entirely, its the logic or lack of it that I can't follow.

You're comparing a professional tune custom made for a car by a professional to a canned off the shelf map which is humorous at best. OK lets play that game.

EF: 125.00 Base map by Mellon actually customized for your exact mods.
Can't be resold 125 dollar loss.
AP: 650.00 Base maps available made for all kinds of setups because a tune is a tune, right?
Sell for 450 - 550, but you get money back~! I guess that makes it worth more, regardless of whether you lost money in the end.

Now lets add a custom tune to the mix.
EF: 500 dollars. Resale: 0, loss $500.
AP: 650 & 500. Resale: 450-550, loss 700 - 600.

OOh I want to tune.

EF: 500 dollars + 90 more for your cable. Resale 0, loss $500.
AP: 650 + 500 + 450 more for tuning software . . Resale: 900, loss $750-800+ depending on the hit you take for selling street tuner.

Nobody is going to pay you in the end for your CUSTOM map that a tuner made for your car, so a custom tune on a AP or ECUFLASH unless sold with the car it was tuned on is worth next to nothing. Comparing a basemap car to a custom professionally tuned car is nothing but fail.

I don't know what tacobell parking lot you're earning street cred in, but around here people wouldn't even consider exhaust and intake a modded car. The fact that you do explains a lot about your point of view in this matter.

Edit: I would also like to add that I'm in no way bashing the accessport, hell I sent cobb my Ecu in the beginning of development of it and offered to give a local protuner my car to test it out on. If in the next few months they work something out for maf deletion or support a blow through while remaining obdii compliant I'll be picking their product up.

Last edited by Brian; Oct 16, 2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Thats a great way of puttin it right there!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

i love the name calling stuff

first, you cant follow the logic perhaps because you might have add which probably accounts for your broken up EF and AP equations.

second, let me re-state my point for the third time, yes this is my point and the rest of it just some supporting information, "every engine management system has its attributes and shortcomings, no one system is best for everyone" you follow mr. golden arches?

third, you make my point, based your your equations, i deduct that money is probably the most important to you, but there are many other things to consider, please check my previous posts for some of that information.

fourth, what kind of "street cred" are you talking about, the one where you compare whos got the bigger snail and whos got the taller curves on the dyno chart, or do you mean street racing, or yet something else? Belive me most people out there, ok and let me be more clear, on the evo, wrx, sti, lgt side, most car owners dont take their power mods beyond what is commonly reffered to as stage 2, meaning high flow air filter in the intake, tbe on the exhaust and canned or custom flash, with parts like pulley, fuel pump, 02 housing, exhaust manifold mixed in here and there. even less people add cams, and then, less with turbo/injector setups and the least with engine internals, thats all i was saying, you dont have to spend 10 grand to have street cred and be able to speak facts.

fifth,..

sixth,..

Again, oh never mind, just refer to the second point to get my point,

Anyhow, gotta wrap up, my show Damages is coming up on FX. Oh boy, there goes my street cred,

Just kidding, i respect your view, all i ask is just repect mine

PEACE OUT

No I got the point entirely, its the logic or lack of it that I can't follow.

You're comparing a professional tune custom made for a car by a professional to a canned off the shelf map which is humorous at best. OK lets play that game.

EF: 125.00 Base map by Mellon actually customized for your exact mods.
Can't be resold 125 dollar loss.
AP: 650.00 Base maps available made for all kinds of setups because a tune is a tune, right?
Sell for 450 - 550, but you get money back~! I guess that makes it worth more, regardless of whether you lost money in the end.

Now lets add a custom tune to the mix.
EF: 500 dollars.
AP: 650 & 500.

OOh I want to tune.

EF: 500 dollars + 90 more for your cable.
AP: 650 + 500 + 450 more for tuning software . .

Nobody is going to pay you in the end for your CUSTOM map that a tuner made for your car, so a custom tune on a AP or ECUFLASH unless sold with the car it was tuned on is worth next to nothing. Comparing a basemap car to a custom professionally tuned car is nothing but fail.

I don't know what tacobell parking lot you're earning street cred in, but around here people wouldn't even consider exhaust and intake a modded car. The fact that you do explains a lot about your point of view in this matter.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 07:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

First: It wasn't name calling, it was reality. Soorry if I'm blunt, Thats just the way I am. I get a little irritated at misinformation and ignorance being thrown about. You're right, I do have ADD as well as a clue what I'm talking about.

Second: I'm glad you know EMS systems have their pluses and minuses, unfortunately it seems that in saying that you're showing all that you know about them. You can say it again and again, you're still not going to look like you know what you're talking about. Then again a simple review of your post history clearly illustrates that.

Third: I made your point? I highlighted that anyone who thinks that a basemap and a professional tune are the same is an idiot as well as the fact that you get fisted on pricing once you toss a tune in and it continues the further you go down the path. BUT YOU GET MONEY BACK IN THE END!? RIGHT!?!

Fourth: You don't have to have street cred to speak facts, you do however have to have a clue. Maybe the people you deal with stop at that level but as someone very involved in our local Evo scene as well as the person who organized the Midwest subaru shootout the past two years running I can tell you that you're once again wrong. Noticing an emerging theme yet?
Old Oct 16, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Look dont be sorry, no need.

we can go around in circles, till the EVO X is available at your local Mitsu dealer. i will change the numbering convention just to challange your ADD a bit more,

1. If you are so factual, why are you making a statement and fail to provide any proof, one in particulare i am am talking about is "I get a little irritated at misinformation and ignorance being thrown about." what kind of missinformation am i spreading? Please point it out specifically and prove me wrong, and i will admit it that you are king, if thats what you want

2. I never claimed to be an expert on EMS, simply providing logical statements that are my opition or that i believe to be facts, all this based on my experience, reading forums, having gone to meets, talking to other enthusiasts who have various brands of vehicles (mentioned in my previous post) who have done various stages of upgrades to the car, who test their cars at various levels, starting with spirited driving, through auto-x, and track, and who have different EMS and either use canned maps, get e-tuned, get dyno tuned, or do their own road tuning. Maybe you can teach my Engine Magagement 101 class using PM if you have sooo much knowledge about EMS and what the best way to do anything is for that matter.

3. Again, putting words in my mouth and/or twisting them, I never said that canned tune=custom tune, go back to #2 in my previous post,

4. YES, I am seeing an emerging trend here, for sure, You keep saying that you are right and I am wrong, about what? In words of Borat, This suit is BLACK,........NOT !

Why dont you pick a specific area you want to discuss, say about AccessPORT, and we can talk about it, it seems that we have gotten way off topic, and all i wanted to state is #2 in my past thread, whats wrong with that?

Aside for stressing# 2 in previous post, a good summary here would be, there are many ways to interpret things, so i can provide 5 attributes of AccessPORT, perhaps you can provide 5 attributes of EcuFlash, does that make you right and me wrong, or vice versa?? This is what these forums are about, discussions, open flow of ideas, opinions, experience, facts, right?

First: It wasn't name calling, it was reality. Soorry if I'm blunt, Thats just the way I am. I get a little irritated at misinformation and ignorance being thrown about. You're right, I do have ADD as well as a clue what I'm talking about.

Second: I'm glad you know EMS systems have their pluses and minuses, unfortunately it seems that in saying that you're showing all that you know about them. You can say it again and again, you're still not going to look like you know what you're talking about. Then again a simple review of your post history clearly illustrates that.

Third: I made your point? I highlighted that anyone who thinks that a basemap and a professional tune are the same is an idiot as well as the fact that you get fisted on pricing once you toss a tune in and it continues the further you go down the path. BUT YOU GET MONEY BACK IN THE END!? RIGHT!?!

Fourth: You don't have to have street cred to speak facts, you do however have to have a clue. Maybe the people you deal with stop at that level but as someone very involved in our local Evo scene as well as the person who organized the Midwest subaru shootout the past two years running I can tell you that you're once again wrong. Noticing an emerging theme yet?

Last edited by pltek; Oct 16, 2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Look dont be sorry, no need.

we can go around in circles, till the EVO X is available at your local Mitsu dealer. i will change the numbering convention just to challange your ADD a bit more,

1. If you are so factual, why are you making a statement and fail to provide any proof, one in particulare i am am talking about is "I get a little irritated at misinformation and ignorance being thrown about." what kind of missinformation am i spreading? Please point it out specifically and prove me wrong, and i will admit it that you are king, if thats what you want

2. I never claimed to be an expert on EMS, simply providing logical statements that are my opition or that i believe to be facts, all this based on my experience, reading forums, talking to other enthusiasts who have various brands of vehicles (mentioned in my previous post) who have done various stages of upgrades to the car, who test their cars at various levels, starting with spirited driving, through auto-x, and track, and who have different EMS and either use canned maps, get e-tuned, get dyno tuned, or do their own road tuning. Maybe you can teach my Engine Magagement 101 class using PM if you have sooo much knowledge about EMS and what the best way to do anything is for that matter.

3. Again, putting words in my mouth and/or twisting them, I never said that canned tune=custom tune, go back to #2 in my previous post,

4. YES, I am seeing an emerging trend here, for sure, You keep saying that you are right and I am wrong, about what? In words of Borat, This suit is BLACK,........NOT !

Why dont you pick a specific area you want to discuss, say about AccessPORT, and we can talk about it, it seems that we have gotten way off topic, and all i wanted to state is #2 in my past thread, whats wrong with that?
I'm going to try and get through this, it's amazing that with my add I can still follow these run on sentences that really should have been corrected in second grade. It sure is 'challange' to translate.

1.) I've proven it throughout this thread, perhaps you should read it. You can start where you compared the resale value of a custom tune with that of a canned tune on an accessport then continue through every one of your posts up to this point.

2.) You're not an expert on ems yet you're saying your 'opition' is fact? Don't start at EMS 101, start at Jiffy lube.

3.) You compared them directly, look at your first post in this thread where you were yammering about resale value of a custom tune versus that of an accessport.

4.) Resale value? Great Borat reference! Just because you get money back in the end it makes it worth more, regardless of how much you lost in the process. In the words of BoratThats a nice!!!

I'm done here, anyone who's not a COBB dealer should be able to comprehend and follow what I've said. Think, and not just about your sales.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Here,

- you are right, i am wrong
- ou are smart, i am stupid
- you are english major, i am just a natauralized citizen who can't seem to get through to you with his poor English skills (thats one fact-please dont dispute this)
- you will not use AccessPORT since your on an EF kick and its clear from your continued assault, i will not either, thats one thing we have in common aside for same car we drive.

here, now i am glad that you are done here, move to another thread where you can prove to the world how smart you are,

for Brian_H, he just won a debate trophy

P.S. in all honesty, good luck with your car sale, no mischief intended

P.S.2. it all started with a seemingly non-offensive, fact based thread#48, just dont understand

ok i guess i am done editing.

Last edited by pltek; Oct 17, 2007 at 06:06 AM.

Quick Reply: COBB EVO AccessPORT released and DYNO results