Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

COBB EVO AccessPORT released and DYNO results

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2007, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How come the directions don't recommend the removal of the restrictor pill?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 02:56 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Christian.
I have not seen IA Performance's final results yet, but I wanted to let you all know that I will be paying close attention to this thread (and others concerning the EVO AccessPORT). I am happy to respond to any questions or concerns that come up about the base calibrations for the EVO AP. I know other members of our engineering team are focused on getting the AccessTUNER Professional software ready for final testing in the next week or two. I will update all as soon as I have more information.

Take care,
Christian.
Sorry its taking so long to put up the info Guys we were in pretty late last night testing Stephan or I should have something up soon.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Okay----REVIEW TIME FOR AP AND IA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO it was my evo we were using yesterday to do tests on.

I am not going to mention numbers as IA has all that info, dyno charts etc etc etc

Here is what I have to say bout this AP issue: (stage 2 only)

I am running stage 2 91peetane base map. I am running the COBB TBE w/test pipe and only other relevant difference in intake is the WORKS filter which Im sure yieds ZERO difference. I AM ALSO USING THE STOCK ECU TO CONTROL BOOST!!!.......NO BOOST CONTROLLER

The car pulls even and smooth and strong all the way to redline from about 3k on the tach. A friend of mine a had an evo ix that was customed tuned by Tuning Technologies in cali with basically the same mods......I FEEL ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL FROM HIS CUSTOM TUNE VS. THIS STAGE 2 91OCT MAP

THe COBB exhaust is freaking worth every penny...no tinny-ness, no rattles, no fitment probs that didn't take 20secs to eliminate.....the exhaust is worth every penny for the person who wants a classy sound and not something the wake the dead....or the neighbors in the morning!!!

So stage 2 shocked the crap out of me!!!!...way more than I expected

Lastly, IA PERFORMANCE in Tucson, AZ is the SHiiiiizzzznit!!!!!

Steven, the owner, did all the work himself......and when the Nisei intercooler piping turned out to be a COMPLETE GARBAGE FITMENT AND EVEN SUPPLIED WRONG THREADED PLUG FITTINGS Steven went into Innovative Automotive mode and welded a different bolt shut to fit!!!!!

THanks to IA Performance for everything!!! If I was in PHX I would still drive down to IA to get my work done.........can't wait for Pro-tune to have Steven do a custom tune and further advance their shop's respect in this community!!!!

IX Lives....COBB TUNED...IA Performance PERFECTED!!!!!!!!

Last edited by CPA5; Oct 24, 2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:43 PM
Former Vendor

Dyno is DONE

Now before some individual feels it fit to pipe-in that his car makes X amount more power please read on. This is a discussion forum for the COBB AccessPORT. This is not a forum to discuss how your car made 375 whp on pump gas I.E. this is not a measuring match, this is rather a show and tell. We show, and we tell, you read and respond back with educated questions/remarks. This should help spread the education of a new part to the Mitsu community. These are OFF THE SHELF maps, not custom tunes. Now that I'm done being Mr. Mom let's get into the heart of the matter.

On to the information:

Back Ground on Test Car
Car was 100% stock EVO 9 5 speed, 9900 miles. All tests were done the same day , same dyno, same settings, same technician (I'm still tired), etc. Boost leak test was performed first thing to ensure car was in tip top condition. She laid down a very common base line figure for a stock EVO 9.

Upload process

So easy a child can do it. Just plug in 2 connectors and follow the on screen prompts. No cutting, nothing permanent, etc. honestly, it is VERY easy to install this and to navigate the well designed screens.

We have a video, but I"ll probably need to beg CPA5 to come back in so I can get a bit better footage this next time Here is the best I have in the mean time:

Saving Stock Data
(correct, the AP saves your stock map setting prior to over writing them. They are saved in the AP for when you are ready to uninstall the AP)

Upload in progress
(note my kung foo grip )

Install completed
(takes about 10 minutes the first time, shorter the next time)

DYNO TIME

Stock car vs COBB Stg 1 91
Power Gains at the wheels
+ 22 TQ = 9% peak gain over stock!
+ 31 HP = 12.8% peak gain over stock!

Stock car vs COBB Stg 2 91
Power Gains at the wheels
+ 32 TQ = 13% peak gain over stock!
+ 43 HP = 17.8% peak gain over stock!

Overall we were very happy with the power deliver. These are off the shelf maps intended to work on EVOs across the USA. They also deliver the expected advertised power levels.

Some key features that the AP shows under LIVE DATA are:
- Speed
- RPM
- Short Term Fuel Trim
- Long Term Fuel Trim
- Coolant Temp
- Knock Sum
- Timing Advance
- and a few others I'm drawing a blank on.

These are live read outs, not for data log at this time. Pretty handy to say the least though.

I'll be updating this post through the weekend, our shops internet keeps cutting in and out.

Special thanks to CPA5, his wife, his buddy, his buddy's wife, COBB, and the IA Staff!!!!!!

Stpehen (I may drive a subaru, but still have love for EVOs)

Last edited by IA Performance; Oct 19, 2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:11 PM
Former Vendor

CPA5- COBB actually includes the exhaust extension parts, your kit was missing them Draw back of being the first.

Spanked- I think there will be a few options coming out for COBB boost lines. COBB is cutting edge as always. My guess is that the restrictor pill was overlooked in the instructions, but from Page 2 here:

IN ORDER FOR ANY AccessPORT CALIBRATIONS TO CONTROL BOOST PROPERLY WITH THE MITSUBISHI EVO, you must first remove the secondary restrictor pill located in the forward-most vacuum line connected to the wastegate solenoid valve. In order to remove this secondary restrictor pill please follow the below instructions:

You'll be amazed at the customer support you receive from COBB and their Authorized Dealers and Tuners. Let me know how else to help.

Stephen
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I thought CPA5's Evo had the Cobb TBE installed on it... so are the dyno numbers applying to stage 1 with the TBE, or did you guys remove it?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Stephen--

Hey...what about DAD

You let me know when its good to come back.....tomorrow would work if you want to do it sometime in the AM hrs.....but i absolutely positively can't stay until 1:00am again.......I was exhuasted and you did all the work
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
I thought CPA5's Evo had the Cobb TBE installed on it... so are the dyno numbers applying to stage 1 with the TBE, or did you guys remove it?
I had the exhaust on my bedroom floor for over a month....it was never on the car until yesterday right before stage 2 pulls
Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:00 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I must say, I'm a little surprised at how high the gains were for stg 1 and how (relative to stg1) little they were for stg 2. Still, this is 91 juice, so I'm impressed none-the-less. I'll be getting my AP as soon as AMS get's their shipment... and hopefully if I get my Fujitsubo anytime soon I can post some results for you guys.

Great to hear its finally out, great to hear it actually works well at release. I can't wait to get mine!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:25 PM

CPA,
For the record your friend's car pulled way harder but enough about me already!
Where's that run you had that shows 290 whp and 280 tq? I was there I saw it! I was very suprised to see Cobb's shelf maps put down #'s so close to a custom tune with 0 knock might I add. Don't forget Charles a little race gas and you can run that 93 or 100 map!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
The boost results on the stock Evo are very low. The stock car is boosting to 17.4 psi and tapering to around 13 psi by redline. Stock Evo 9s usually boost to 19-20 psi and taper to 16-15 psi by redline.

I thought that the car was checked and it was in tip-top condition. It seems to me that it has a major boost leak.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Looks great!!! I guessing the eastcoast guys using 93 stage 2 should see about 5 -10 more HP roughly? I cant wait until i order it next month.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

I am removing my restrictor pill tonight,and installing the stage one on an evo 9..93 Octane..I'll post up results later today..Justin
Old Oct 20, 2007, 01:45 PM
Former Vendor

For those wondering what the COBB exhaust sounds like here you go (click photo):

Fostytou- if you do not want to wait, we have them in stock with free shiping and no sales tax for out of state purchases : D

loscavio- I turned up the smoothing on the graph, it is quite a bit easier to read without lines all over the place

nj1266- car showed as fine during boost leak test. It also produced stock EVO numbers in the 240s, I can show other EVO 9 plots showing these numbers if you would like. Also, we have the smoothing filter turned up to that the graphs are easier to see where power seperation occurs, etc. This takes the average of the highs and lows of boost and will show the average, same with tq and hp. Peak numbers are lower than without filter turned up.

TheEvolutioner- yup, more power to you lucky ones with 93 oct Some even get 94 at Sunoco!

SLOWRREX- Sounds great.

Stephen
Old Oct 20, 2007, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, thats really nice and quiet.

Quick Reply: COBB EVO AccessPORT released and DYNO results