Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

alternator secret fuse?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks. I bet that was a lesson you wont make again lol
Old Dec 3, 2015, 02:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Yup, looks like you burned up the 100 AMP fuse link located in the rectangular area of the positive battery ring post. Replace it and retest.

-pal215
Old Dec 3, 2015, 08:28 PM

Yup, that blown fuse will explain the smoke. (we've all been there...)
Old Dec 3, 2015, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I hope that takes care of the charging issue for you. There may be an issue with the rectifier in the alternator that May keep it from charging even after you replace the fuse. The rectifier is a series of diodes (basically one-way check valves) that covert the AC waveform created by the generator into a DC voltage that the rest of the vehicle systems like to have. If they were damaged due to the reverse polarity, the alternator may not charge, or supply way too much AC voltage that can cause other issues, like killing your battery. Just a little something to be mindful of. Best of luck.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by drive955i
I hope that takes care of the charging issue for you. There may be an issue with the rectifier in the alternator that May keep it from charging even after you replace the fuse. The rectifier is a series of diodes (basically one-way check valves) that covert the AC waveform created by the generator into a DC voltage that the rest of the vehicle systems like to have. If they were damaged due to the reverse polarity, the alternator may not charge, or supply way too much AC voltage that can cause other issues, like killing your battery. Just a little something to be mindful of. Best of luck.
Would this issue cause the car to die even while driving since it will not be charging the battery? Would the alternator still put out a voltage reading if it has this issue? And I'm assuming replacing it is the only solution?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Traditionally the rectifier isn't a replaceable part, but it may be possible if you have a local shop that specializes in automotive electrical rebuilds, such as starters and alternators. They may be able to replace the rectifier. Don't quote me on that. Your best bet is to call and ask before hoofing it to them.The alternator may still show a good voltage, but it may be fluctuating quickly. If you have a volt meter, check the voltage at the battery in AC mode. If it's more than half a volt, the rectifier is bad. The more I write this, the more I think it could be the voltage regulator. That usually IS a replaceable part, and can cause low charging voltage, and sometimes high voltage. Like 16-18 volts. That will also kill a battery quickly.
Do yourself a favor and check the voltage at the power connection at the alternator. I'm not talking about the main power connection, I'm referring to the small connector at the back that powers the windings. Make sure you are getting voltage there. If you aren't, the alternator won't do a thing for you.
Sorry this is so long winded, but I wanted to hit a couple of points all in one shot.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 05:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by drive955i
Traditionally the rectifier isn't a replaceable part, but it may be possible if you have a local shop that specializes in automotive electrical rebuilds, such as starters and alternators. They may be able to replace the rectifier. Don't quote me on that. Your best bet is to call and ask before hoofing it to them.The alternator may still show a good voltage, but it may be fluctuating quickly. If you have a volt meter, check the voltage at the battery in AC mode. If it's more than half a volt, the rectifier is bad. The more I write this, the more I think it could be the voltage regulator. That usually IS a replaceable part, and can cause low charging voltage, and sometimes high voltage. Like 16-18 volts. That will also kill a battery quickly.
Do yourself a favor and check the voltage at the power connection at the alternator. I'm not talking about the main power connection, I'm referring to the small connector at the back that powers the windings. Make sure you are getting voltage there. If you aren't, the alternator won't do a thing for you.
Sorry this is so long winded, but I wanted to hit a couple of points all in one shot.

Very good Information here!

-pal215
Old Dec 9, 2015, 04:59 AM

Thank you for all that good info. It definitely helped, I ended up swapping out my alternator this past weekend and I haven't had any issues yet. Also went through and checked my power connections and grounds and made sure they had a good contact surface.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

That's good to hear. I don't like to hear my fellow Evo owner's having issues. Let's keep these great machines tearing up the asphalt (or gravel)!