Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Launch Control.. how bad is it for your car, and ignition or Injector cut?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I actually don't use it very often at all.. I have a natural shifting habit I can't break.. however I still can shift in 10ths of a second..
Old Aug 6, 2004, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use launch control all the time. I've been using it for about the last 3 months or so with no problems. The trick with launch control is that you have to shift fast. If you don't.. it results in a small jerk because it cut fuel and power is coming online. Since I have a WRX, the launch control is WAYY more smoother than normally shifting the car. And I shift fast. it's nice not dropping below 19psi your entire run down the 1/4.

Ignition cut is not even recommended with nitrous use. It causes all sorts of strain on your internal parts.. since fuel is being dumped in, and then ignited as soon as the clutch is engaged again, you risk a chance of it igniting in your intake manifold.. almost like a nitrous backfire but not as intense.

If your LC is set at 5000RPMs, anytime you are over that point, keep your foot planted, and depress the clutch.. listen to your motor. It completely shuts off... it's silent.. then the clutch comes back up and you can hear it all over again.

The only thing bad is that I get random misfire codes after a long night of using Launch control. It works really well for me spinning my tires off the line to take the stress off of our weak trannies. But hey, I'm running mid 12s on a stock tranny for awhile now.. so I guess I can't complain too much.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 08:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Actually.. you do the same thing I do.. since I launch at 5000rpm (If I even launch)

I've run a 12.42 without launching the car at high RPM or flat shifting.. I could only imagine the difference if I could break my habit and resist the urge to lift..

BTW, no matter what you do, power shifting and clutch dumping will damage your driveline.. We have unique situations where our cars make enough torque to get wheelspin.. most stock or mildly modified evo's will not spin the tires, they will just smoke the clutch or break parts if the tires hook..
Old Aug 6, 2004, 09:04 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know how fast you guys shift but you must rev to the exact point where you have your launch control set and then shift.
If my launch control is set to 5500 and I shift at 7k fuel cut will go in no matter how fast I shift because the car is revving past 5500. And to me it's irritating even if it's just a little jerk.
When I do turns fast I'm used to leaving it in lower gear and on the exit of the corner I shift and that's where the jerk happens.
Since I don't drag race I don't have the need for it really, on the contrary, it's very annoying.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 09:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Yep.. Thats why I generally don't use it.. Plus, if you road race.. DISABLE IT.. it will feel WEIRD when downshifting and rev-matching under power..