Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

MAF to MAP???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2004, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MAF to MAP???

I was wondering if you can convert the MAF Sensor to a MAP Sensor. I have UTEC and the things listed in my signature. Do i need something else? I did many searches and found nothing but i could be over looking it.

Thanks,
Chris
Old Sep 3, 2004, 06:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok.. at the moment there is no speed density conversion for it. I have been told that there will be a conversion at some point in the future.

Right now, you can use the MAP Sensor for load reference in the UTEC, and it actually does work well, HOWEVER this does not enable you to remove the MAF sensor to do that since the stock MAF sensor actually consists of 3 sensors that provides input required by the ECU.

In order for the MAF sensor to be removed, the UTEC would need to accurately reproduce the MAF signal to the stock ECU, its not necessary for drivability, but its necessary to keep the ECU happy. However, in order to accurately detect airflow conditions, you would need to add an Intake Air Temp sensor.

If they decided to add this feature, you'd need add the missing sensor, the UTEC would then need to calculate load references based on IAT Sensor, MAP sensor, and TPS (Speed density) which at the moment its "Almost" able to do. It would then need to regenerate a Karmann Signal output for the Stock ECU..

Its not a complex thing to do, but they probably have other things going on. And they are in the process of completing a new firmware upgrade so I know its not something that will show up in the 1.4 firmware for the EVO Utec..

At the moment, my solution has been to use the Ultimate Racing blowthrough MAF conversion, this conversion works with *ANY* ECU solution, but its a little expensive. But my personal opinion is that speed density conversions have some drivability issues. (A good example is something like Idle Surge, where the airflow fluctuates and causes the engine idle to go up and down) and issues getting a good part throttle mixture (in open loop operation)

although I have no information or affiliation with TurboXS other than being a good customer and beta tester for the UTEC, I'd have to say we should see some of these new feature show up within the year.

The biggest hurdle for offering this feature has already been addressed, and that is the open loop fueling feature that will be released in the upcoming firmware. Open loop fueling itself solves a few issues that would not have been easily worked around in a safe manner. Eliminating fuel cut, Injector Scaling, and altering the cars Rev/Speed limiter are all things that would have otherwise been imposible to do. This feature alone makes a speed density conversion a very close possibility in the short term.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack

Not to rain on the parade here, but doesn't the evo provide an air temp signal? The reason why I bring this up is that the dash board shows an air temp in c. If this is truelly an air intake temp signal, then all of the parameters (MAP-provided by end user, IAT-provided by evo, TPS-provided by evo) are present to do the speed density calcs. I do understand the TXS is busy, but at least they can start working towards the introduction of speed density with the hardware already present.

I could be wrong, as I am thinking that the air temp signal is actually "Intake air temp". So do correct me if warranted.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Ok I was just about to ask this question so thanks, are we completely sure that TurboXS has commited to develop this upgrade, just want to be sure. Also what are the advantages of running the blow through MAF sensor? Is it worth the 650 because it provides a much better driveablity will less restriction? Just a few questions that I have as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sgplancer
Jack

Not to rain on the parade here, but doesn't the evo provide an air temp signal? The reason why I bring this up is that the dash board shows an air temp in c. If this is truelly an air intake temp signal, then all of the parameters (MAP-provided by end user, IAT-provided by evo, TPS-provided by evo) are present to do the speed density calcs. I do understand the TXS is busy, but at least they can start working towards the introduction of speed density with the hardware already present.

I could be wrong, as I am thinking that the air temp signal is actually "Intake air temp". So do correct me if warranted.

The IAT that you are seeing is form the MAF itself. Eliminat the MAF and it's gone.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Since we have open loop fueling in the new version wouldnt it be possible to run a speed density setup since fueling would be taken care of by the UTEC? I guess if TurboXS could set the UTEC to read the MAP and IAT sensors and correlate that with the fuel map it would work as well as a standalone.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by sgplancer
Jack

Yes, the Evo has an IAT sensor and a 1bar Map sensor.. However they are part of the MAF sensor, therefore removing it results in having no sensor..
Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Reignman
Since we have open loop fueling in the new version wouldnt it be possible to run a speed density setup since fueling would be taken care of by the UTEC? I guess if TurboXS could set the UTEC to read the MAP and IAT sensors and correlate that with the fuel map it would work as well as a standalone.
Yes, it actually is already capable of doing that (Operating the UTEC from MAP/TPS value).. However the problem is when you remove the MAF, you remove the reference signals for the sensors including the other required sensor (IAT) and the UTEC does rely on the reference signals to pass them through to the stock ECU.. it only alters the signals for the Karmann frequency in MAF offset mode.. If it has no input signal, I don't know that it will generate any output signal at all. In any event.. Its likely removing the MAF would cause problems.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Yes, the Evo has an IAT sensor and a 1bar Map sensor.. However they are part of the MAF sensor, therefore removing it results in having no sensor..
&

Originally Posted by instigator
The IAT that you are seeing is form the MAF itself. Eliminat the MAF and it's gone.
I stand corrected ... but if I didn't bring it up, I would have never known.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
Ok I was just about to ask this question so thanks, are we completely sure that TurboXS has commited to develop this upgrade, just want to be sure. Also what are the advantages of running the blow through MAF sensor? Is it worth the 650 because it provides a much better driveablity will less restriction? Just a few questions that I have as well.

Thanks in advance.
For me it was worth it simply to have absolutely no perminent dependency on any particular ECU or Piggyback option... therefore removing the UTEC (or anything else for that matter) will still mean the car will run.. Try driving cross country and having trouble with a component that you can't get anywhere??

Also, if the blowthrough MAF sensor fails, the actual sensor that is used in the blowthrough housing is a common ford part # and you can swap it onto the blowthrough pipe if you needed to get the car running..

Most people cannot justify the money.. but the #1 priority for my car was to retain stock-like drivability and servicability.. if your driving crosscountry and the EMS dies, how likely is it that your local parts department will have parts you can use? if the UTEC dies, I can just remove it..
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:05 AM
EvoM Guru

This is a great example of the distinction between fast cars that are "Street registered" and "Street Driven"

I have a street legal chevy malibu.. But I really get concerned when I think about taking it out for long drives... a fuel pump failure would require me to find a local speed shop that sells holley pumps, a bad gilmer belt will mean I have to find a motorcycle shop or truck supply shop that carries the right belt for the supercharger.. of course the other aftermarket components could get stock components swapped back in its place, but the car was built that way intentionally.. If I had backhalfed the Malibu, I'd have a completely unique suspension, and if I went with a new front suspension I'd also have similar problems (ever try to get components for a coilover setup? or Wilwood brake pads?) forget about driving anywhere for some time..

Last edited by MalibuJack; Sep 3, 2004 at 09:12 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

I have a question about using MAP for load reference. My MAP value reaches it's peak at around 3500 RPM's. If I was using MAP as a load reference, doesn't that mean I would be hitting my 100% load zone at 3500 RPM? The MAF load is only at 30% here.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:18 PM
EvoM Guru

In theory yes, but it doesnt seem to when I set it to use the MAP sensor.. I know it takes TPS and MAP pressure into account but I'm not sure what else, Probably RPM..

Whats interesting is if you configure the MAP sensor PSI to something lower than your peak, you may see the load site DROP after that point.. Not quite sure what the deal is. But I haven't had the opportunity to test it on the new Firmware.