Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

T-28

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-28

Sorry guys, I am turbo-challenged, and have no idea what I'm talking about. I do, however, realize that T-28 seems to be the turbo of choice for the Lancer. Is there only ONE kind of T-28? If I see "Garrett T28 Skyline turbo", can I be confident that that is the same T-28 that I want for my Lancer? I've been trying to read up and become less of an imbicile, but for now this is the easiest way to make a purchase decision; getting someone to tell me if I'm on the right track.

Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:26 AM

You will need more than a turbo to turbo charged the Lancer. You will need pipes, intercooler, all that stuff.

You should give a look at what RoadRaceMotorsports is offering. Or check RPW.

I heard both are great setup and you don't have to check everywhere for the good pipes and stuff.

RoadRace is offering a complete setup with intercooler that looks cool as hell

Peace!
WiDeFiRE
Old Mar 11, 2003, 07:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

There are many versions or just about any turbo. You don't need an intercooler. I would suggest doing an absolute assload of research before doing anything to your car as big as turbocharging. In order to avoid catastrophic failure due to inability to diagnose a problem/potential problem.

I know this link has been posted a dozen times. ...probably because I've posted it half those times.

https://www.evolutionm.net/models/la...irediag.php?s=

Moving to somewhere more appropriate.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for putting this thread where it needed to be Hobie, and thanks for your comments widefire. I realize the essential parts necessary to 'turbo' my car, i've read everything I can find by ROCK and others on the topic, and i've probably got RRM's product list memorized.

My essential question didn't get answered.

I have the opportunity to buy a T-28 (actually two of them) for around $250.00. They came off a Skyline twin turbo in Japan. Now, I know RRM uses the T-28 for the Lancer (chosen after trying many, for best overall performance), and I'd like to follow their example/expertise... but get the parts cheaper. So I'm wondering if I should buy these (and just use one, sell the other), and get started on my project. I don't want to do so, however, and then find out 'oh, guess what. the T-28 the skyline used was different than the T-28 you need for your Lancer.'

Hence my relatively simple question in my first post: Is there just ONE type of T-28? And a secondary question would be... Is that price a good deal? It seems like it is.

Can someone answer me that please? Seems simple enough.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yes. There are several variants of any kind of turbo (more or less). Assuming they all use the same flanges, they should have the same outer housing sizes and whatnot. In function they're all similar. There are sleeved variants, ball bearing variants, different compressor/turbine combos etc. The T-28 should be the same.

If you have the money here's what I'd do: Get both, make sure at least one is in perfect condition, rebuild one if not and use the second for parts. OR you could resell the second if they're both in good condition and have yourself a very cheap turbo.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

and dont forget you also have the "big" 28 vs the "small" 28 also
Old Mar 11, 2003, 03:36 PM

If you are getting both for $250 then I would pick them up for no other reason then to resell them. Seems like you would be getting a pretty damn good deal... I could be wrong tho, I am by no means an expert