Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Mav's 2002 Lancer ES build thread.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JRR
personally...

rrm is a waste of time and money. ive had problems before and they seemed to care less. definatley go the custom route and just continue to read the threads and make a list is all i can really say.

the rrm kit is proven to fit and work well, but to me the customer service is where it lacks. when i purchased most of my partial kit from them (i had sourced other parts from the evo to work better) the manifold was 4-500 bux(i dont remember for sure) but then about a year and a half on the car all the welds on the collector were cracked and they wouldn do anything about it since i "didnt buy their kit," even though i spent 3k with them that day as well.

just my opinion
Id agreed, Custom is really the way to go if u want something for a decent price and how you want it.. if u need simple and want something thats bolt-n-go, then a kit from rrm is ideal, but it will hurt your wallet. anyone that is able to put together there own kit and assemble it all themselfs will do much better with a custom kit, you can upgrade whatever you want and take it as serious, or as simple as you want it...(im on my 2nd setup now, and not many people can keep up with what i can put down to the wheels psi for psi)
Old Jun 8, 2010, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's looking like piecing a kit together is the way to go. i'm thinking if i'm having trouble finding something then i'll speak to the rrm guys.

looks like i have to read as many threads as possible and begin to make a list of the necessary parts. then as i have some money aside make purchases over time.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 05:26 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Demon_ni2
Id agreed, Custom is really the way to go if u want something for a decent price and how you want it.. if u need simple and want something thats bolt-n-go, then a kit from rrm is ideal, but it will hurt your wallet. anyone that is able to put together there own kit and assemble it all themselfs will do much better with a custom kit, you can upgrade whatever you want and take it as serious, or as simple as you want it...(im on my 2nd setup now, and not many people can keep up with what i can put down to the wheels psi for psi)
luckilly i can weld and i am a certified welder at that, so i could and did fix my mani, but thats beside the point. any other company would have stood behind their product and not just said sorry!

Originally Posted by maverick31210
it's looking like piecing a kit together is the way to go. i'm thinking if i'm having trouble finding something then i'll speak to the rrm guys.

looks like i have to read as many threads as possible and begin to make a list of the necessary parts. then as i have some money aside make purchases over time.
check the link in my sig for evo parts that do fit out lancers. it will help alot and aide in your searching for parts.

my entire setup in my lancer i feel is a hybrid between rrm and a custom (now its leaning more towards custom with a few rrm parts unlike when i first did my build). i have quite a few rrm parts on my car, but the more you research the more you will learn.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:35 PM

so as I am doing some research, I am finding out that you need to tap the oil pan for the return line. is there a way to install the kit without having to tap the pan? epic failure or success depends on the size of that hole (no pun intended) and i'd rather not take that chance.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so as I am doing some research, I am finding out that you need to tap the oil pan for the return line. is there a way to install the kit without having to tap the pan? epic failure or success depends on the size of that hole (no pun intended) and i'd rather not take that chance.
No way around that one man, in the early days of this people thought about running in through the drain plug but this is BAD DO NOT DO THIS!!!!! You will have to tap the pan, dont worry its not nearly as hard as it may seem I was nervous about this too but found it was a piece of cake. I used this step drill bit just drill it through all the way so its a 3/4" hole
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ill-44460.html
Then I used this tap set to tap the hole
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece...set-91395.html
You want to use the 1/2 npt tap (the biggest one in the kit) cant remember the barb fitting size I used but someone will chime in. Then you just wrap the barb fitting threads with teflon tape and thread the barb fitting in I have never leaked a drop of oil
Old Jun 9, 2010, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

1/2 npt to 5/8" hose , make sure you use hose rated for oil use and at least 300 degrees , the normal rubber line will break down from constant oil exposure

If you go with braided line do not use anything less then -10 an, for oil feed use a -4 with a 12mm banjo to -4an fitting and the stock banjo bolt
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by turbolancer02
If you go with braided line do not use anything less then -10 an, for oil feed use a -4 with a 12mm banjo to -4an fitting and the stock banjo bolt
You can use -8AN for a return line over -10AN, if need be. AMS supplies a -8AN return line on all of their turbo kits, even on their huge 950R.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:48 AM

you guys are real helpful. to be honest, i'm not 100% sure as to what that means. i'm sure after some more research, what you guys just told me will make a lot more sense.

i was also thinking maybe going to see the guys at RRM to help with the oil pan tap.

p.s i just found out from another member through PMs that there is an oil filter sandwich type adapter?....does anyone have some more info regarding that option?

p.p.s will definitely be going with speedcorps for the manifold thanks guys!

Last edited by maverick31210; Jun 9, 2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Yes I am using the sandwich adapter for my oil feed on my turbo, there are pics of it on my thread
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:44 AM

so if i am understanding correctly, the adapter is the way around tapping the oil pan?

Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

so if i am understanding correctly, the adapter is the way around tapping the oil pan?

Nope incorrect this is only used for oil feed line not the return, there honestly is no way around it. If your concerned with this part of the build I suggest to take your oil pan to a shop with your fitting and have them install it, I know others have done this I cant imagine they would charge very much to simply drill a hole and thread in the fitting
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Look on 03lances thread, what he means by tapping the oil pan is, look at your oil pan, there is a black box with a nut on the bottom and then that black box is connected to the aluminum pan holding it up to the motor, Im taking mine to a shop to get it done but what they do is they drill a hold on the silver aluminum part not the black part and they either will weld or thread on the return barb that is 5/8 of an inch on the silver oil pan part and all you do is get a rubber line as stated that can handle 300 degrees or more if you have to, and you connect the oil pan to the turbo and wallah theres your return line.

That piece you pointed out goes above your oil filter and you can use that to connect to your turbo for an oil feed, and oil pressure gauge to. I have the blue one even though I wanted a silver one but im not complaining I still like the color

Last edited by steven121; Jun 9, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 02:55 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOLVII
Understandably this is a personal opinion as well but I must say RRM has provided solid service throughout the 7 years I have went to them. Ive had zero issues with the kit nor the service they provided. They even worked through issues with my engine being in as bad of shape as it was when I took it to them to get the turbo installed.

I made the mistake of once taking my car with turbo installed to another shop who just tore up all my configurations and Rob was there to help me piece it back together. They know their stuff and they have been able to work through any and all issues you might encounter.

Rob and the guys did an outstanding job and were always there even if I need a quick answer over the phone.

just my 2 cents
yes but also what about "false claims" such as:

fastest auto lancer?? rrm powered

now obviously its a customer car, but you cant go an make claims without backing them up.

my $.04 now
Old Jun 9, 2010, 03:49 PM

it's looking like when i get there I will take the pan in to get it done. only because it is such a small thing that can go very wrong and delay the process.

as for the RRM debate, i've met with those guys in person and had nothing but good vibes. but then again everyone's experience is not the same.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 07:33 PM

I found a DC Sports stainless cat-back exhaust on local craigslist. seller says it will fit 03 OZ,ES and LS. I asked him if it will fit an '02 ES as well. My question is if anyone knows what particular exhaust he might be referring to (he did not list a model name) and if said model will fit a 2002 ES. Lastly, will said exhaust mesh well with the future turbo I plan on installing?

thanks guys!

p.s: so after a little more research, i have learned that; tapping the pan is inevitable and i am looking into ways to have it done.

i am asking because the threads are a couple of years old, maybe by now some parts are being produced to address these issues.

1. also, i am reading some of the threads around here and it looks like most people had to do some grinding to get the exhaust manifold to clear the water line, is this problem addressed with the speedcorps manifold?

2. i also keep reading about having to extend the evo 8 DP 12" for it to fit......has there been a part made to address this as well.

again, sorry for all the questions. doing my best to understand by research. dont want to start spending dollars on parts until i know exactly what has to happen in my mind.

Last edited by maverick31210; Jun 9, 2010 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Mav's 2002 Lancer ES build thread.