Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Mav's 2002 Lancer ES build thread.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JRR
nice you'll notice a little more low end grunt now with that.

if you still want the bar now just go to ebay and get an sri/cai for yur car. they are like $30 with everything. not too much money wasted i feel.

josh
that's not a bad idea!

alright guys, here's my epic fail of the day;

drive to RRM, get lost 3 times even though i had already been there before. i get there and buy rally X bar, drive back home. try to fit bar and realize it won't clean stock intake, drive back to RRM get lost one more time. i get there and exchange bar for lightweight crank pulley. drive back home and cant find 22mm socket. go to get socket. come back and no breaker bar. go to autozone to rent breaker bar lulz. come back home and attempt again, pulley was spinning and there was no one around to ask to push the brakes about this time i daylight was gone so i gave up. i work these next two days so i will resume saturday morning with an assistant.

just a lot of things not working well together as well as my own fault in part led to an unproductive day. at least i ended up having the pulley
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:43 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

might need an impact to acutally break the pulley loose. thats what i had to do to mine to get it off.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:48 PM

here's my issue, when i try to loosen it with the breaker bar it just spins in place. how do i get it to not spin?

also, i was going to try what i saw in a write-up around here where i brace the breaker bar against the frame and have someone crank but not start the engine.

that ought to do it right?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maverick31210
here's my issue, when i try to loosen it with the breaker bar it just spins in place. how do i get it to not spin?

also, i was going to try what i saw in a write-up around here where i brace the breaker bar against the frame and have someone crank but not start the engine.

that ought to do it right?
It will work, hell I have even done it before but not the recommended way to go. Jrr is right an impact is the way to go. I have a really nice craftsman professional pneumatic with 710 ft ibs break away torque and 1/2' air line. Nothing stops it literally if it doesnt break it loose it just plain breaks it lol. Anyways I even have a harbor freight electric imapact that I use from time to time which did work to remove my crank pulley, plus you dont need air with that one
Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:12 AM

sooner or later i'm going to have to buy an impact, i might check out harbor freight to see some prices later today, but i'm gonna try it with the breaker bar/frame method after work tonight.

what about as far as putting the bolt back on? would i still have the same issue with it spinning in place?

p.s; does anyone besides RRM make a front strut bar to fit an '02 ES, since the RRM does not clear stock intake?

Last edited by maverick31210; Jun 24, 2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:13 PM

went to install the pulley and had some issues;

for starters, the alternator would NOT budge, i loosed the two bolts up top and nothing. went down below and tried to loosen the third bolt and it would not move one bit.

then i got to tighten the power steering pump back up and when i tighten the bolt, it moves to the right! it would not stay straight and tighten up properly. i tightened it as best i could but here's how it's looking. how do i get that bolt to line up straight and not move to the right as i am tightening it?

Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ok dude.. for starters, that bolt in the picture is the Adjustment bolt for the pulley. but there is another bolt perpendicular to this long bolt that holds it in posistion.. DO NOT TURN THAT BOLT IN THE PICTURE without loosening the other bolt first, its the same on the alternator..

since its already cocked to the side, u more then likely did crank on it a bunch and now its damaged. (or someone else did) its pretty normal... not many pully/tensionor setups are like ours.. u just have to loosen the other bolt first before that one.

didnt really read your whole post.. any other questions just ask! dont break stuff..
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Demon_ni2
ok dude.. for starters, that bolt in the picture is the Adjustment bolt for the pulley. but there is another bolt perpendicular to this long bolt that holds it in posistion.. DO NOT TURN THAT BOLT IN THE PICTURE without loosening the other bolt first, its the same on the alternator..

since its already cocked to the side, u more then likely did crank on it a bunch and now its damaged. (or someone else did) its pretty normal... not many pully/tensionor setups are like ours.. u just have to loosen the other bolt first before that one.

didnt really read your whole post.. any other questions just ask! dont break stuff..
thanks bud, i figured out what the connection between the two bolts was a little later. i tried to loosen the pulley bolt but i didnt have the correct size wrench with a long enough handle to leverage it. got it taken care of though and got the RRM pulley on.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:49 PM

ok, so i'm looking for a front strut bar since the RRM wont fit. i was on a local lancer forum and someone had this pic posted

to me it looks a lot like this generic found on ebay for around $10

has anyone tried one of these things?
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

garbage. multi point sway bars do not stablize u need a solid piece. the rrm X bar that they had was a great piece
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:20 PM

thanks for the tip. guess i'll hold off on front sway bar until later.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

if ur workin towards drag, it wont help.. but for daily driving it will def help with stabilizing the car up a little bit.. i did a TON of suspension work ALL at once.. and it really made a huge difference.. piece by piece it wont change much im sure.. but the end effect or setup was pretty sweet.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's a rundown of everything I've done with my suspension/chassis over the past 7 years. First suspension piece I upgraded (over 6 years ago... yikes ) was my rear sway bar. It was replaced by a Progress rear sway bar and RRM upgraded perch set. I noticed a difference right away in the rear being sturdier going through turns, but there was still a good amount of flex overall.

Then I installed a full bar set from RDD (best bars for your Lancer, if you can find them). This made the chassis alot stiffer and alot more predictable with turns and flex. I installed a set of Tein S-Techs to lower it. I felt a slight improvement with these, but not much. Then all my sway bar end links and bushings were replaced with Energy Suspension poly bushings.

***Standard Disclaimer***
DO NOT use harnesses on a harness bar for any street driven vehicle. There is a strong chance you will cause bodily harm to yourself and your passenger in the event your vehicle is in a rollover accident.

Final piece I installed, about 2 years ago, was a harness bar (made by a member on EvoM). This put my car on rails. If you think about it, you're bracing the chassis right across the horizontal and vertical centers of your car at the B pillars. Can't get much better than that.

With all these suspension mods, I have yet to upgrade my struts. I replaced my factory struts with some KYB's to freshen them up, but does not change their damper characteristics. Coilovers will be installed in about a months time. I never, for a second, felt the need to upgrade to coilovers to improve my car's handling over the years. Even without stiff struts of any kind my car handles like a dream from all the chassis stiffening at various places.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:52 AM

^^^nice setup.

i went to a local meet the other day and one of the guys had an older RRM front strut bar, the one that angles backwards towards the firewall as opposed to the Rally X bar they are selling now. The older bar would definitely fit with my stock intake set-up. anyone selling or know someone who is selling an older one or where i might be able to get my hands on one??

edit: a member on a local forum psoted this;

http://www.andysautosport.com/mitsub.../megan_racing/

might go that route.

Last edited by maverick31210; Jun 27, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:48 AM

alright, so RRM pulley has been on for a few days now. definitely noticing more pep/more enjoyable drive. i'm happy with it and recommend it to others lol just make sure you get it on right .

next i am thinking about the RRM throttle body, worth it? what sort of difference can i expect? to recap, i am only running the pulley as of yet, how will these two mesh together?

thanks fellas!

Quick Reply: Mav's 2002 Lancer ES build thread.