Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Mav's 2002 Lancer ES build thread.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by maverick31210
p.s: so after a little more research, i have learned that; tapping the pan is inevitable and i am looking into ways to have it done. You can either drill and tap for a fitting, have an aluminum bung welded on or drill a hole and use a bulkhead fitting.

i am asking because the threads are a couple of years old, maybe by now some parts are being produced to address these issues. There are ZERO parts being produced to address the additional needs of installing a turbo on a Lancer.

1. also, i am reading some of the threads around here and it looks like most people had to do some grinding to get the exhaust manifold to clear the water line, is this problem addressed with the speedcorps manifold?

2. i also keep reading about having to extend the evo 8 DP 12" for it to fit......has there been a part made to address this as well. No parts are being made for this, as every custom turbo is just that - custom. There's no point for a company to make parts for small issues like these since they are a very simple fix for any Lancer owner going turbo.

again, sorry for all the questions. doing my best to understand by research. dont want to start spending dollars on parts until i know exactly what has to happen in my mind.
There are very few companies out there that produce parts for the Lancer. You'll learn this as time goes on and you'll need to be creative and resourceful in upgrading your car. The aftermarket support for the Lancer is nowhere near other vehicles and most of the best parts end up being custom made by the owners. Your only other option for a "complete" turbo kit is to go the RRM route.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now i see why turbos ARE NOT a bolt affair

thanks again guys for all the help guys, it's slowly starting to come together.....kind of ha!

Last edited by maverick31210; Jun 10, 2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as the grinding goes yes I am pretty positive the speedcorps mani is the same as mine. There is just a nub on the 16g that needs ground down otherwise it WILL hit that water pipe in front, Real easy took me like 2 mins
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 03lances
As far as the grinding goes yes I am pretty positive the speedcorps mani is the same as mine. There is just a nub on the 16g that needs ground down otherwise it WILL hit that water pipe in front, Real easy took me like 2 mins

do you have to the 10.5 or the 9.8? I hae the speedcorps mani, I thought for the 9.8 you dont have to grind down the nub and it was only for the 10.5? If I have to grind it down let me know where?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

So which way is better? Or does it really matter? Also here are a couple pics of a really rough mock up

As you can see I ground off just enough for the manifold to sit flush. I have a very minute gap looks pretty good so far. You can see the front stud on the drivers side I cut about half of it off and still cant get the nut on there so just left it off since I was just taking it down to the exhaust shop. Sore subject there but oh well.
I have the 9.8 you can see in the picture where the turbo is right next to the water pipe, that nub on the turbo needs to be ground down some or the manifold will not be able to sit flush with the head
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Deleted
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

It is neccessary to grind down the nub ...However to put that front nut on you need to set the nut there and start threading as you lift the turbo up to the manifold , it does fit , I want nice straight tubes not dented ones...

Its just one of those things to making something work that was never supposed to , you'll never run into no snags
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

and by nub you mean the part that says on the turbo

td05hr 16G blah blah etc.. like the part number?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbolancer02
It is neccessary to grind down the nub ...However to put that front nut on you need to set the nut there and start threading as you lift the turbo up to the manifold , it does fit , I want nice straight tubes not dented ones...

Its just one of those things to making something work that was never supposed to , you'll never run into no snags
Thanks Turbolancer, I have since fixed all the problems in that quote I think I ground down one side of a nut enough to fit it in there which worked great
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:51 PM

apparantly there's an ***-ton of snags to deal with. the more i research though, the more i see that there are solutions and what was overwhelming at first seems to have some sort of way out.

if i can piece the kit together for the right price then it will all be worth it.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

hey I was looking at these pics and I noticed you didnt use the metal tubes for the coolant on the turbo. did you use something else or is it because those lines wont work
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven121
and by nub you mean the part that says on the turbo

td05hr 16G blah blah etc.. like the part number?
never mind lol I just now saw where I have to nub down
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

This was a mock up this was not taken at the time of my build it was about two weeks before. I was trying to get the fitment right before I actually dove in
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

This was a mock up this was not taken at the time of my build it was about two weeks before. I was trying to get the fitment right before I actually dove in
ok good I was about to start freaking out for a second. Well headstuds are going in tomorrow morning so cannot wait...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:06 PM

i was thinking of doing the same thing.

Quick Reply: Mav's 2002 Lancer ES build thread.