Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

beastly 2.4 build

Old Jul 4, 2014, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry i posted this update in a rush late last night just after i got done driving back from vegas. I left a lot out. Manley recommends a piston ring gap of .024 for medium boost )15-30psi) applications and .027 for high boost (30+ psi). Seems kinda high compared to wiseco piston rings but I've been searching and searching and that seems to be what everybody with these pistons is running. I will be running somewhere between 25psi and 40psi without oil squirters so I'm running a larger cylinder wall to piston gap and i would imagine that the increased gap size has to due with the increased heat expansion in the rings as well as the piston.
since I bought the pistons new but previously installed the rings were previously gapped to .025 on top and .027 on the bottom. I think that will be fine with my set-up so Im probably going to just keep the current rings.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:12 PM

Nice build. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

update....

got lots done in the last few days but have failed to continue posting updates..lol

anyways.. here goes...

brought the car in and started prepping her for the heart transplant.

Dropped not pulled...

Now that thats out of the way, time to work more on the new heart...

New head studs arrived so i went and picked up a fel-pro permatorque mls head gasket and installed em.

same day the head studs arrived, the cams, cam gears, intake and evo 399 maf arrived, so now timing can be set as well. I was told the cams are gsc s3's but there isn't really any marking on the cams. only the number 2 on one of them.. They seem to have pretty aggressive lift and duration on the lobes. got a super good deal on them so i guess Ill see how well they perform.

don't forget to lube your caps..

Also picked up the intake manifold, bolted on the timing cover, installed the crank pulley and new alternator/water pump belt. Also had to take a torch and a vise to my dip stick tube for a little friendly persuasion to get it where i want it.

night have to port out my injector holes on the intake manifold in order to get it to fit the fuel injector rubber grommets. not sure if the kia/huyndai injector grommets would be a direct fit or not. I know they would fit in the hole but not sure if the injectors i have will fit inside the grommets.

I was test fitting and evo intake manifold as well but it would take quite a bit more modification to make work. plus I like the look of the long runner manifold. not to mention its just a temporary manifold.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You aren't wasting any time at all. What you going to do as far as turbo, manifold, and downpipe? You getting a shop to custom fab it or you getting one that's already made for the eclipse?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
You aren't wasting any time at all. What you going to do as far as turbo, manifold, and downpipe? You getting a shop to custom fab it or you getting one that's already made for the eclipse?
time is money! lol and the turbo setup doesn't have to be for an eclipse. can be for any 4g6x engine, but I really like a couple sheepey built manifolds and may end up picking up one of those. as far as turbo Im looking at a close to or comparable to a gt3582r. probably going to go with a custom down pipe and straight pipe exhaust.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 09:50 PM

Nice progress so no ps/ac on this one getting as much bang for ur buck as possible?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thuraen
Nice progress so no ps/ac on this one getting as much bang for ur buck as possible?
nahh no need for creature comforts... haven't sported ac/ps for over 4 years now. my lady's car doesn't even have power steering..lol Im actually building an ej1 honda civic as well and i took the power steering rack & pinion out and swapped it for a manual rack & pinion. I actually feel like worse of a driver when I go back to a vehicle with power steering. Causes me to over correct too often because I'm used to a more responsive steering wheel.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 04:31 PM

Where'd u get the manual steering swap for ur lancer?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thuraen
Where'd u get the manual steering swap for ur lancer?
don't have one in the lancer. just my civic. for the lancer i just re-routed the ps hose back into the rack and pinion and deleted the pump.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

small update.. so i decided to make my custom motor mount bracket today out of card board and hot glue! permanent you ask? I hope not...lol so I mocked it up out of card board because this way I can just hand it to whom ever I decide to have fabricate it..

I thought I would post this because I know a lot of people get intimidated when they hear "custom motor mount", and I feel that its a lot less work than everybody thinks.(took me about an hour to measure, cut and glue together. can't imaging it taking much longer than that with metal) Not to mention that nobody has ever posted the dimensions for this particular custom mount before.

That being said, peep this....

now I left the uprights a little long at 4" and did not mark spots for holes to be drilled out yet because theres no way of knowing exactly how high the passenger side motor mount is going to sit until the engine is actually in place in the engine bay. it can then be cut to size and drilled by me once everything is in place. If you make the risers too short and pre drill the riser holes you may very likely screw yourself in the end and have to get another motor mount bracket made.

Dimensions:

All bracket widths---- 1 1/2"
length from end to end---- 6 1/4"
length from center line of bolt hole to center line of bolt hole---- 5"
bolt hole diameter---- 1/2"
length between risers---- 3 1/4"
riser hight----4" (can be cut down once desired engine hight is acquired)

Now obviously this is just a visual aid/reference for the fabricator and not an actual motor mount. The actually motor mount will be made out of steel or thick gauge aluminum.

I hope this is useful to anyone considering doing this swap, I know it would have been for me.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 01:23 AM
Evolving Member

Update..

Got the metal for my motor mount bracket today from a buddy that works at a local aviation fab shop. I didn't expect him to do all the measurements and cuts for me, I just asked for the metal! lol good guy! I guess thats what happens when you provide someone with such an accurate cardboard template..lol I just need to shave the gussets down about an eighth of an inch each to make up for the thick *** metal.

then I decided to go ahead and bore out my fuel injector holes to accommodate for the bigger injector grommets. Turned out nice, but took forever as well as caused some extra headache when I accidentally broke the passenger side window in my civic trying to get my stupid crescent wrench to let go of a tool i was using. I F@C#ing hate those things with a passion but its the only wrench I could turn the tool with.

before

after
This picture is before I polished it up.. just a rough shot of the difference in diameter.

with everything installed.

Also, to make the fuel line fit to the fuel rail I had to drill out the bolt holes on the fuel line. they would not screw in because they were a hair off alignment from the threaded holes in the fuel rail. easy fix. you can kinda see that its off a little in the picture.

Old Jul 15, 2014, 06:06 PM

Very nice! So are you making any early dyno predictions of at least a ballpark or goal that you wanna reach?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:57 PM

You sir are amazing for providing the info on the custom motor mount. When i start my swap it will make life so much easier. I wanna b just like you when i grow up lol this is an amazing build and i get excited everytime i see an update. And thus last one was more then i could ever expect. Props to you man you are leading the way for lancers
Old Jul 16, 2014, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06boostedES
Very nice! So are you making any early dyno predictions of at least a ballpark or goal that you wanna reach?
no prediction just goals. My goal is to be around 600-625whp but I think some changes to my internal set up will be needed to get me there. Since I'm running 9:1 pistons in combination with the kia dohc head which is supposed to drop my compression ration an additional -1:1, in theory my compression ratio will be somewhere around 8:1. thats pretty low but on the plus side its very capable of high boost. I think a more realistic and achievable goal with this set up would be around 550ish whp which is a number I am plenty happy with!

Originally Posted by Jsangiovanni
You sir are amazing for providing the info on the custom motor mount. When i start my swap it will make life so much easier. I wanna b just like you when i grow up lol this is an amazing build and i get excited everytime i see an update. And thus last one was more then i could ever expect. Props to you man you are leading the way for lancers
Thanks man! one day young grasshoppa!! lol nahh I'm kidding. dude if your into cars and your on sites like this its only a matter of time. Im only doing what I wish someone would have already done. I actually pm another member thats already done the swap and asked him just to take a few measurements for me and he actually told me no he didn't feel like going under his hood and doing it.. no names but that guys a lop..lol
I guess i just never agreed with all the talk of the lancers being bad platforms to start from. If honduhs can be fast, fwd lancers can be fast too. lol
Old Jul 16, 2014, 05:45 AM

Much respect. There aren't enough people like you around. And kid I know the feeling of having that mechanical aspiration and the appreciation for the lines of a car. The first car I bought for me was my 03 oz and as soon as they released the evolution X my heart fluttered so just keep at it, work hard some day you'll earn ur lancer and I'll get my X. Just follow your heart.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: beastly 2.4 build