Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

beastly 2.4 build

Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by crf inc.

no prediction just goals. My goal is to be around 600-625whp but I think some changes to my internal set up will be needed to get me there. Since I'm running 9:1 pistons in combination with the kia dohc head which is supposed to drop my compression ration an additional -1:1, in theory my compression ratio will be somewhere around 8:1. thats pretty low but on the plus side its very capable of high boost. I think a more realistic and achievable goal with this set up would be around 550ish whp which is a number I am plenty happy with!

Thanks man! one day young grasshoppa!! lol nahh I'm kidding. dude if your into cars and your on sites like this its only a matter of time. Im only doing what I wish someone would have already done. I actually pm another member thats already done the swap and asked him just to take a few measurements for me and he actually told me no he didn't feel like going under his hood and doing it.. no names but that guys a lop..lol
I guess i just never agreed with all the talk of the lancers being bad platforms to start from. If honduhs can be fast, fwd lancers can be fast too. lol
Wow, some ppl on this forum aren't about helping other ppl. It's probably because your build is everything he wished his was. The one guy I seen that did the swap was very unhappy with it.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Yeah I know I would def be pleased with 550hp too! When you get it up and going and show up at a meet or something and you open the hood and somebody that actually knows what they are looking at sees the dohc valve cover and trips out im sure that alone will be quite satisfying. Great pics and good luck with the build seems like you are really moving along.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:47 AM
Evolving Member

update time...

got the motor mount bracket welded up. not finished with it yet but it gives me something to work with and make adjustments.

also received my iac valve delete plate and my torque solution erg delete kit.

everything is now ready for the test fit. I left out pics of the clutch and flywheel install but thats pretty straight forward and I'm sure most of you already know how to do that anyhow.

I strongly suggest to everybody that owns a cherry picker to pick up one of these powerbuilt slide hanger dealios..lol makes life sooooo much easier when dropping an engine. especially when you do it by yourself as I usually do.

you can easily see why...

only took me like an hour to get the rear motor mount bolt to go completely through the hole(binding, not a fitment issue) but other than that everything fit like a glove..

freakin sexy isn't it?

Now this is what I meant when I said make adjustments.. I thought that 4" would be plenty high enough for the motor mount brackets risers but it seem that was the only measurement I was off on. as it turns out 4 1/4"-4 1/2" would have been better. you can see in the picture that the motor mount sits just a hair too high in comparison to the bracket. An easy fix none the less. Im simply gonna have another 1/4" steel bracket welded to the bottom of the custom bracket, drill the holes through and use longer mounting bolts. problem solved.

Overall Im extremely happy with the progress and fitment. Everything is going together fairly smoothly and some things I thought I might have had issues with like intake manifold clearances and things like that are actually sparing me of headaches.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:23 AM

This is beautiful man the motor looks perfect in there cant wait to see more progress. I was at the junkyard yest and all i saw was 4g64s in every mitsu out there. I was sooooo tempted to start a motor b4 i finish the body.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sick build. Look forward to hearing it run.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Did you do the same thing with tranny as the other guys that did the swap? Just swap your gears to the eclipse transmission?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Sub'd!
This is a great (documented) build.
Looking forward to the first ignition turn.

Thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
Did you do the same thing with tranny as the other guys that did the swap? Just swap your gears to the eclipse transmission?
yeah sorry that was one of the first things i did on this build. I didn't get as many pictures as i would have liked, but overall the transmission differential swap was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I did end up using the eclipse manual transmission and bell housing in combination with the differential from a lancer transmission I had lying around.

eclipse tranny all apart with lancer differential fitted..

note: almost every bolt will need to be removed from the tranny to get it apart. the hardest being the big torx bolt. also you will need to pop out the freeze plug on the side of the tranny and release the snap ring holding your gear pack in place. just stand the tranny up on the bell housing when you do this and the gear pack will simply just fall down out of the snap ring. re-install it the same way.

the gear pack out. make sure to try and keep the gear pack held together as there is nothing holding them together once you pull them from the tranny. there is a little 3 bolt bracket holding the gear pack in, simply remove the bolts and the gear pack will just slide out.

might as well clean everything up while your in there. you can use brake cleaner to get all the old gear oil off the gear pack and differential, then clean the case and bell housing using engine degreaser and a hose or pressure washer.

lancer diff (left) eclipse diff (right) pretty obvious difference in axle shaft size. luckily both diffs have the same final drive gear.

Ok so i don't have any pictures of this but if you go this route make sure when you swap your lancer differential into the eclipse transmission that you swap the output shaft bearing races and spacer( theres only 1) as well since the taper in different for each. eclipse bearing races will NOT work with the lancer differential.

lastly before you re-assemble your transmission make sure to coat your gears, bearings, and differential in fresh gear oil. Make sure everything is well lubed before bolting everything back together.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jsangiovanni
This is beautiful man the motor looks perfect in there cant wait to see more progress. I was at the junkyard yest and all i saw was 4g64s in every mitsu out there. I was sooooo tempted to start a motor b4 i finish the body.
lol just pick up an engine stand and start building it! lol its a lot easier when your not rushing yourself to get stuff done. just take your time and start getting your parts together. Do yourself a favor though and keep and eye out for a 3rd gen eclipse with a manual tranny. I say that because chances of actually finding one are extremely rare and I think i just got really lucky. If mitsu 4g64s are abundant where your at maybe you'll get lucky and find one too.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks to everybody for all the support too! Its nice to think that all this info might be put to use by other mitsu enthusiasts in the future. I know these swaps have been done and documented before in other lancers and mirages, And I learned a lot my reading the threads. But my goal was to fill in most of the grey areas that other people left out of their builds. Hopefully Im doing that.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crf inc.

yeah sorry that was one of the first things i did on this build. I didn't get as many pictures as i would have liked, but overall the transmission differential swap was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I did end up using the eclipse manual transmission and bell housing in combination with the differential from a lancer transmission I had lying around.

eclipse tranny all apart with lancer differential fitted..

note: almost every bolt will need to be removed from the tranny to get it apart. the hardest being the big torx bolt. also you will need to pop out the freeze plug on the side of the tranny and release the snap ring holding your gear pack in place. just stand the tranny up on the bell housing when you do this and the gear pack will simply just fall down out of the snap ring. re-install it the same way.

the gear pack out. make sure to try and keep the gear pack held together as there is nothing holding them together once you pull them from the tranny. there is a little 3 bolt bracket holding the gear pack in, simply remove the bolts and the gear pack will just slide out.

might as well clean everything up while your in there. you can use brake cleaner to get all the old gear oil off the gear pack and differential, then clean the case and bell housing using engine degreaser and a hose or pressure washer.

lancer diff (left) eclipse diff (right) pretty obvious difference in axle shaft size. luckily both diffs have the same final drive gear.

Ok so i don't have any pictures of this but if you go this route make sure when you swap your lancer differential into the eclipse transmission that you swap the output shaft bearing races and spacer( theres only 1) as well since the taper in different for each. eclipse bearing races will NOT work with the lancer differential.

lastly before you re-assemble your transmission make sure to coat your gears, bearings, and differential in fresh gear oil. Make sure everything is well lubed before bolting everything back together.
Thanks man, that cleared a lot up about the swap. The other builds they just mentioned you had to do it and didn't go into any real detail
Old Jul 21, 2014, 03:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
Thanks man, that cleared a lot up about the swap. The other builds they just mentioned you had to do it and didn't go into any real detail
no problem. anymore questions just ask.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 05:09 AM

Hey I was wondering, I've seen this build as an easy drop in for 90's eclipses and 02-03 lancers but I want to know if it would work in a 00-04 eclipse or if it would be a huge cluster f just never really seen much about those cars.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thuraen
Hey I was wondering, I've seen this build as an easy drop in for 90's eclipses and 02-03 lancers but I want to know if it would work in a 00-04 eclipse or if it would be a huge cluster f just never really seen much about those cars.
This same motor came stock in some of the 00-05 eclipses. So yeah, should fit lol
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:58 PM

Getting closer and closer and it keeps looking sicker and sicker. Keep it up, I think all of us are itching to see your pics turn into a final running video!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: beastly 2.4 build