Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Poor stereo install?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2003, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor stereo install?

Any one else have a lame fit on there aftermarket stereo. Bestbuy said it was because of the kind of mount. There is a small gap around the outside of the deck. THey said that or the deck would be out of the dash about 1 ". THis looks bad. I need a trim piece i guess...
Old Feb 27, 2003, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

take it right back to them...you paid for a complette install so that is what they should give you.if the installers give you crap take it straight up to the store manager...the higher ups hate to be bugged on things that their workers should do right so they will prob offer to fix correctly
Old Feb 27, 2003, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

i had the same problem on my aftermarket radio, on the stock fittings the trim piece wouldn't fit around it...so what i did was got longer screws, and then put washers behind the metal bracket of deck, so it stuck out a little more, this way i was able to get the trim piece to snap around it
Old Feb 27, 2003, 06:56 PM

wut kind of deck did you have installed...i have a kenwood and it fit perfectly...before i had the pioneer 8400 and it was stickin out way too much
Old Feb 27, 2003, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

hahah mine is like that too i got the kenwood 919 it sits flush but had a tiny gap...velcro my man...velcro.. just a strip of the fuzzy all the way around looks like a bad *** install....btw most bestbuy people know dick about car audio. or atleast the ones i have talked to...
Old Feb 27, 2003, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

this should be in audio and security first of all.

second, i agree with nero. don't let bestbuy install your stereo. get some duct tape or something and fix it up, then put the trim piece and no one will be the wiser.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 10:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by cupOZnj
this should be in audio and security first of all.
Yup. Moving.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

my deck is sticking out too..but i aint trippin as long as its working ...oh yea mines was a pioneer
Old Feb 27, 2003, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

sticking out and having a gap around the head unit are two diffrent things. your problem may be able to be fixed with a new trim and lots of time and bondo! (custom fitting)
Old Mar 1, 2003, 07:13 PM

first I had a kenwood and it looked like crap sticking out my dash so I went with a motorized face sony but it is sunk in to the dash too far. Either too far out or too far in. These jacks at bestbuy just suck. Ill try to put some strobs behind it and use the gap to my advantage..
Old Mar 1, 2003, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

may i sugguest a motorized kenwood? they sit flush and have very tiny gaps...that is the only raido that i found that looks nice sist flush with the panel and dosnet really have a gap. btw which kenwood did u have speedyst9?
Old Mar 1, 2003, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

I worked at Best Buy. I didn't trust ANY of the installers to touch my car. Some of them were so dumb, I don't know how they remembered how to get to work each day. I have the Pioneer 8400 and it sticks out, but the inner face is flush, like it should be. I installed it myself, no problems.

What kind of deck do you have? Honestly, it shouldn't stick out or have gaps at all. Don't bother trying to get Best Buy to "fix" it. They'll probably make it worse just to get you out of there. I honestly hate Best Buy now, bunch of corporate SOBs. Best thing to do is return it, because it didn't fit. Go to Crutchfield, find a unit you like that has an "EZ" fit, find it cheap online, and install it yourself with a wire harness adapter. The Lancer is the easiest head unit install EVER. I know this because I've done quite a few.

Last edited by purecoda; Mar 2, 2003 at 06:15 PM.