Notices

ROAD/RACE- New N/A Power

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so i read in another forum this mod wont do much for the 2.0 4b11 and that the 2.4 L will be yielding the most gains any one else hear about this
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our timing controller will work with our Piggyback. It will not work with a flash. A flash is fine till you go to the dealer for oil change and they have a software update, then they see the flash and void warranty or better yet just reflash the manufacturer update of your flash...... OUch.

ROAD/RACE
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by I Am God
aaand in correlation with your whole previous comment that is a plus over the re-flash how?

i mean were talkin 20hp vs 9hp, no splicing vs a stealth mod with no warranty issues when taken in for maintenance (i dont know if u have to send ecu BACK if u decide to undo flash for that purpose), both can be tuned by a shop, n what i gather from what ur saying the piggy is easier to tune

*i dont know if the timing box rrm will offer will work with the reflash*

is there something im missing about advantages of piggy over the flash?

i wuuuv u rrm
If you go with a reflash, you have to trust the person who does the flashing. If it's someone like Works, there's no issue, they've proven themselves to be a respectable company. How much do you trust your local tuner though?
Has anybody actually independently dyno tested the Works reflash and compared it to the RRM piggyback? Saying the Works makes 20 thus it's better is a bit naive since different dynos and different conditions can show different gains.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:22 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ROCK
Our timing controller will work with our Piggyback. It will not work with a flash. A flash is fine till you go to the dealer for oil change and they have a software update, then they see the flash and void warranty or better yet just reflash the manufacturer update of your flash...... OUch.

ROAD/RACE
well you cant tell that the flash is there unless you take the ecu out and go through it individually , which little to no dealers will waste the time looking at it. most if anything will just factory flash it again with an upgrade or the stock one in which the event works will flash it again for free.

product sounds good im still waiting on some reviewers to chime in on what they thought of it. come on peopless there were lots of lancers.

Last edited by LuDa; Jan 25, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

They can detect a reflash if they know how, ie. if they directly check the ECU. Here's the problem with the other part, while you're waiting for Works to reflash it, your car is ****ed. A person in our local Subaru club is having an issue because the dealership decided to reflash his ECU which happened to already have a reflash. Now his Cobb AP is useless since it wasn't unmarried. This means he has to mail it back to Cobb to be fixed at his expense and while it's gone his car isn't running like it should.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

ROCK Our timing controller will work with our Piggyback. It will not work with a flash. A flash is fine till you go to the dealer for oil change and they have a software update, then they see the flash and void warranty or better yet just reflash the manufacturer update of your flash...... OUch.

ROAD/RACE
so how do we deal with going in for an oil change with spliced wires and not having to deal with the same problem? i want to do this ****ing mod im jus sick of the head games gettin around this warranty ****...might have to give up that battle tho eh? seein as how my mod wish list keeps growin in my head

ambystom01 If you go with a reflash, you have to trust the person who does the flashing. If it's someone like Works, there's no issue, they've proven themselves to be a respectable company. How much do you trust your local tuner though?
i was talkin bout a shop tunin my REFLASHED ecu by works, for my specific app

ambystom01 Saying the Works makes 20 thus it's better is a bit naive since different dynos and different conditions can show different gains.
are u sayin that based on just conditions u have that wide of a range of hp to gain/lose? but u do have a point i said 20 cuz i saw it said-_-| i would love to see an actual dyno tho.. BIIIILL where u at lets see it mayne

Last edited by I Am God; Jan 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mines hotter
so i read in another forum this mod wont do much for the 2.0 4b11 and that the 2.4 L will be yielding the most gains any one else hear about this
It will give the same percentage of improvement in power for both the 2.0 and 2.4. Of course the 2.4 starts with a little bit more power. In a way it may help the 2.0 more just because there is more room for improvement in low/mid torque! So I would have to say FALSE on the above quote. Anyone that quoted that simply knows nothing about this product yet.

ROAD/RACE
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by I Am God
so how do we deal with going in for an oil change with spliced wires and not having to deal with the same problem? i want to do this ****ing mod im jus sick of the head games gettin around this warranty ****...might have to give up that battle tho eh? seein as how my mod wish list keeps growin in my head

i was talkin bout a shop tunin my REFLASHED ecu by works, for my specific app

are u sayin that based on just conditions u have that wide of a range of hp to gain/lose? but u do have a point i said 20 cuz i saw it said-_-| i would love to see an actual dyno tho.. BIIIILL where u at lets see it mayne
Again though, you have to trust that your local shop knows what they're doing. If they make a mistake, Works isn't likely to cover you since you modified the product they gave you. You might as well try to get Mitsubishi to cover a blown motor have you installed an aftermarket turbo kit.
What I'm saying is that dynos vary. 20 HP on one may not be equal to 20 HP on another. Moreover, conditions can affect the numbers you get. You can run the same car on the same dyno 10 times and get 10 different numbers.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

ok so hypothetically, without worrying about warranty, and given i DO find a shop i can trust, and i decide to go ahead and tune the flash/piggyback...which one is easier to work with in your opinion?

with my thinkin it doesnt exactly matter what the numbers are from either one because it can be changed with tune, YET piggyback + timing box is a plus in my book, but my question stands = which is easier to work with?

ROCK is the timing box going to be able to be tuned in any way? thru the piggyback with the software or some other way???
Old Jan 26, 2009, 01:42 AM
Evolved Member

if ur gonna get it tuned urself flash or piggyback + the thingy.. why would u pay more to splice your own wires then add the thing to your sensor then tune it?? ive had the WORKs flash since it came out, and ive never been to the dealership since i bought my car and it runs great.. if ur gonna MOD and Tune your car why would u care about the warranty anyways? unless ur engine or engine components fails ur MODs wont have anything to do with other warrantied things..
Old Jan 26, 2009, 01:59 AM
Evolved Member

haha randomly found this trying to search for something else.. but here you go..

"We have already run the Mitsubishi scan tool on the Brain flash and were unable to detect the reflash. Also, factory diagnostic codes are still accessible to the technicians, just as they were before the flash programming. ... The Mitsubishi techs cannot at present scan for the Brain flash -- even with the higher rev limit. The scan tools available to dealer techs change on a regular basis. At present, they cannot detect the change.... .

The Mitsubishi techs can, of course, drive the car and notice that the rev limit has been increased. The chances of this happening are slim to none during routine service "test drives." If it ever came up, the Mitsubishi tech would have a lot of explaining to do as to why they were bouncing a customer's car off the rev limiter.

In addition, under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which SEMA lobbied for and passed (www.sema.org) , it would be illegal for Mitsubishi to log and void the powertrain warranty on the car as described. The Act states, in essence, that if an aftermarket part causes the failure of an OEM part, that repair will not be covered by the warranty and the dealer may elect to void that portion of the warranty coverage. So... it is not enough to modify the car (raise the rev limit) -- the modification (Brain flash) needs to itself directly lead to the failure of an OEM part for which warranty coverage is sought in order to even become an issue."
Old Jan 26, 2009, 05:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cRc`22
haha randomly found this trying to search for something else.. but here you go..

"We have already run the Mitsubishi scan tool on the Brain flash and were unable to detect the reflash. Also, factory diagnostic codes are still accessible to the technicians, just as they were before the flash programming. ... The Mitsubishi techs cannot at present scan for the Brain flash -- even with the higher rev limit. The scan tools available to dealer techs change on a regular basis. At present, they cannot detect the change.... .

The Mitsubishi techs can, of course, drive the car and notice that the rev limit has been increased. The chances of this happening are slim to none during routine service "test drives." If it ever came up, the Mitsubishi tech would have a lot of explaining to do as to why they were bouncing a customer's car off the rev limiter.

In addition, under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which SEMA lobbied for and passed (www.sema.org) , it would be illegal for Mitsubishi to log and void the powertrain warranty on the car as described. The Act states, in essence, that if an aftermarket part causes the failure of an OEM part, that repair will not be covered by the warranty and the dealer may elect to void that portion of the warranty coverage. So... it is not enough to modify the car (raise the rev limit) -- the modification (Brain flash) needs to itself directly lead to the failure of an OEM part for which warranty coverage is sought in order to even become an issue."
the essense of the law is a good thing, the problem is, fooling with your ECU is more or less messing with your emissions control equipment. Mitsu in our manual, says in clear lingo that if you monkey with any emissions control equipment, you will have a legal battle on your hand if they can find out that you have changed your ECU. its grounds to at least have a protest leg to stand on as you attempt to take your dealer / mitsu to court to fix a serious power train problem.

Remember, you would have to challenge them in small claims court. you could do it by yourself, but we are talking a long stretch of time... blah blah blah.. you get the idea...

it varys state by state. But trust me, I have heard so many stories of something that mitsu should fix or answer for and doesnt. Like the classic Dunlop problems, I have seen tires bald at 20,000 km. You go to Mitsu, they say, ummm your allignment was off or its a tire issue, you should go to Dunlop, Dunlop will say oh your allignment was off, we dont cover that. you find your self @ss outta luck on both sides. It gets hard because there is that margin of possibly that you did something to screw up the alignment... in the end you just end up buying new tires cause you cant wait.

Moral of this whole story.... just mod your car something happens, just be prepared to have it fixed by people who want you money
Old Jan 26, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ROCK

ROAD/RACE
The timing controller can work as a stand alone mod?? By itself gives around 9hp
Its removable and leaves no traces right?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
the essense of the law is a good thing, the problem is, fooling with your ECU is more or less messing with your emissions control equipment. Mitsu in our manual, says in clear lingo that if you monkey with any emissions control equipment, you will have a legal battle on your hand if they can find out that you have changed your ECU. its grounds to at least have a protest leg to stand on as you attempt to take your dealer / mitsu to court to fix a serious power train problem.

Remember, you would have to challenge them in small claims court. you could do it by yourself, but we are talking a long stretch of time... blah blah blah.. you get the idea...

it varys state by state. But trust me, I have heard so many stories of something that mitsu should fix or answer for and doesnt. Like the classic Dunlop problems, I have seen tires bald at 20,000 km. You go to Mitsu, they say, ummm your allignment was off or its a tire issue, you should go to Dunlop, Dunlop will say oh your allignment was off, we dont cover that. you find your self @ss outta luck on both sides. It gets hard because there is that margin of possibly that you did something to screw up the alignment... in the end you just end up buying new tires cause you cant wait.

Moral of this whole story.... just mod your car something happens, just be prepared to have it fixed by people who want you money
+100
Yeah u have to know what u are doing to your car and how you are doing it....
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

yea 100$, its available as stand-alone and its jus plug n play, disconnectable

Quick Reply: ROAD/RACE- New N/A Power