Notices

Turbo or All Motor? 2010 Lancer GTS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo or All Motor? 2010 Lancer GTS

Better to go Turbo (i know turbo will screw the engine/tranny) or all Motor , for a 2010 Lancer GTS? If all motor besides

Exhaust
Pulley
ECU
Headers

what else should be added?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

What tranny are you running, CVT or MT?

If tuned properly, the turbo won't harm the motor
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Personally if u have the cash, go for a turbo setup. Especially if u want to drag like the rest of the US lol. Or if u want a nice hard to drive, but rewarding track car, go for fully built NA like me, however that is even more cash and a lot of thought, planning and mathematics goes into that. Alternatively u could get all NA bolt ons and have a slightly faster road car, but it wont really be as fast as it looks.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:32 AM

I've been heAring alot about gts being turbos , saying the tranny cvt autotronic shifter which I have will not support the turbo ... Also to be turbo I would have to do alOt of engine work to make this turbo work properly. And the Cheapest turbo o have found is 4 g .... Any cheaper?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is zero evidence (dyno results) suggesting that a NA build is going to make enough power to be worth the money. So turbo is the way to go.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eXxsCurZiOn
I've been heAring alot about gts being turbos , saying the tranny cvt autotronic shifter which I have will not support the turbo ... Also to be turbo I would have to do alOt of engine work to make this turbo work properly. And the Cheapest turbo o have found is 4 g .... Any cheaper?
its not that it wont support the turbo. you can turbo your CVT with no issues at all, its just how you drive it that will determine how well the tranny holds up. supposedly theres a stronger belt in the works out there somewhere that would make boost easier on the tranny, but who knows when that will surface.

4500 is the cheapest PREMADE turbo kit that you will find on the market. you can have someone custom make you a turbo kit for probably less than half the price of the one from RRM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Cams, Intake, custom tune, exhaust, header, maybe better spark plugs or some ignition system upgrades, and you can prolly have 200 at the crank on the 2.0L engine, prolly something close to 220 or more on the 2.4L. Now this is not a large jump but there are many things you can do to this engine for an all motor build. I just don't think anyone has tried them. Its a PERFECTLY square engine. Perfect platform for something very high revving. Properly built and balanced and all the works I think our engines have the potential to be somewhat of a monster.

Now you will spend close to as much on all that as you would a turbo, Prolly a TON more if u go for higher revs. So for the sake of the life of the engine NA is usually better way to go, but you cannot deny the bang for buck increases from a turbo done right, and built properly.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

You can safely turbo your CVT, you just have to drive like a granny and run low boost. And I mean there are reports of 5psi causing slippage, so it'd be so low you might as well not have a turbo installed.

There is zero evidence (dyno results) suggesting that a NA build is going to make enough power to be worth the money.
What he said.

It's pretty much a lose-lose. I'd say go for the turbo, run low boost and get a small power increase, and hope and pray that RRM finishes the stronger CVT belt so that one day you can easily crank up the power.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stuntfly02
Cams, Intake, custom tune, exhaust, header, maybe better spark plugs or some ignition system upgrades, and you can prolly have 200 at the crank on the 2.0L engine, prolly something close to 220 or more on the 2.4L. Now this is not a large jump but there are many things you can do to this engine for an all motor build. I just don't think anyone has tried them. Its a PERFECTLY square engine. Perfect platform for something very high revving. Properly built and balanced and all the works I think our engines have the potential to be somewhat of a monster.

Now you will spend close to as much on all that as you would a turbo, Prolly a TON more if u go for higher revs. So for the sake of the life of the engine NA is usually better way to go, but you cannot deny the bang for buck increases from a turbo done right, and built properly.

When i get to start putting in mods, im keeping my car fully N/A. I wanna avoid the trouble of a turbo with the way i drive already, adding that i will deff end up f***ing something up . I wanna keep this car all motor and just make it a much more fun to drive as a DD, and then down the road invest into getting my hands on a IX & X.