Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Puffing White Smoke Out From the Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2005, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by initialDRacer
hey pare, any reason for the overflow?
Well I tapped the return line just right where the oil level (lol) and it's causing the oil not to flow back into the pan that's why it's overflowing in the turbo. But good thing I noticed it right and fixed it and no big problem show up . Well I am going to finish installing it back by this weekend and will be boosting again . Yes what a relief for me (but not the money that costed me for the brand new upper oil pan, got hook up for $113.00 at my work .).
Old Aug 28, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Updates...

I just finished installing it back 45 minutes ago and fire her up. After 10 minutes, it started shooting small amount of smokes, so I test drove it gently around the block and went back home and let it idle again, now it's shooting large amount of smoke. I just figured that a little amount of oil are trapped in my exhaust piping so I let it idle to burn out all of the oil left in the exhaust and about 20 minutes later, it FINALLY stop . This is HUGE relief for me and thanks to Ryan Bush for mentioning about my oil return. Now it's fixed and the oil is flowing back to the oil pan perfectly.

I am finally boosting again and thanks to you guys for helping me out.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Man, thats awsome. Hopefully this time it will run properly.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Can you post a pic of where exactly you tapped into for the return line. I really need all the info I can get so nothing goes wrong.
All I have is 3 weeks left before I start working on my car again!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 28, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silver_lancer
Can you post a pic of where exactly you tapped into for the return line. I really need all the info I can get so nothing goes wrong.
All I have is 3 weeks left before I start working on my car again!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah no problem, I was going to take pics but I forgot .

The car is finally running great now. I figured out that my wastegate real lbs is 3.5, just like stock Evos, some of them are not accurate. Well good thing I have boost controller and turn the knob 1.5 and boosting around 5.5 and the car pulls harder . I even relocated my bov to the pressure side (like RRM style) and it works better plus it blows louder.

Last edited by AznFlip; Aug 28, 2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

great to hear that everything is good now. I bet you feel relieved.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AznFlip
I even relocated my bov to the pressure side (like RRM style) and it works better plus it blows louder.
Ive got to see that!!!!!!!
Old Oct 29, 2005, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

I am having the SAME EXACT problem on my evo... blows white smoke here and there..and smells like burning coolant....all levels are good, no oil mixing w/ coolant, no overheating...who knows? I'm afraid to drive it! No leaks anywhere that I can see!
Old Oct 29, 2005, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mobounce
I am having the SAME EXACT problem on my evo... blows white smoke here and there..and smells like burning coolant....all levels are good, no oil mixing w/ coolant, no overheating...who knows? I'm afraid to drive it! No leaks anywhere that I can see!
Check your compression...
Old Oct 29, 2005, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

I will have to learn how to do that..lol...I'm looking into it now. My A/F's are fine too...arrgggg

Maybe my valve seals????

Last edited by mobounce; Oct 30, 2005 at 06:46 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:23 AM

Hey guys. I have been having the same problem with the white smoke in my evo 9. Only difference is that I have a mishimoto thermostat that was claimed to be for evo 8 and 9. Turns out it's only for the 8.. So it's been improperly working for about a year... And now just today white smoke was bellowing out of the exhaust in the morning. I let it heat up and still smoke. It was cold and had just rained. But I can tell the difference between smoke and steam... People have told me that running racing thermostats are fine. But I knew that was bull... Especially since it's my daily driver and I had to drive threw winter like that.. With the needle barely above C. The exhaust smells like clean oil. But my car doesn't have a cat so it always smells. What should I do... I don't have money for a head repair and this is my only car to and from work... I'm so nervous. It has 76 thousand miles. What do u think it is? Can thermostats warp heads? also my vacuum has been fluctuating recently.. Since maybe September. At cold it vacuum idle is 14-15 and then when warm it's 18-17 mainly 17-16. Idle is completely normal. But when I gun it the idle will dip to about 400 and flutter before coming back to 800. Not all the time though.. It's all very random. Except the idle vacuum. Could all this be linked somehow? Also I had my transmission rebuilt and the guy said my turbo is going. So I don't know what to do cause everything is going at once. This is horrible lol.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if your turbo seals are going then that would account for the oil smell as you could be leaking oil. Not having a cat would not make your exhaust smell like oil I have been running a straight pipe for over a year and smells the same as when I was running stock exhaust. However, burning oil produces blue smoke, coolant produces white smoke. Now that being said you have coolant and oil lines running through your turbo so you could be leaking coolant from your turbo. Have you noticed your coolant level drop at all?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

If it wasabad head gasket you could drain ur oil in a pan and check to see if antifreeze is mixed with the oil, the anitfreeze is heavier than oil annd will drop to the bottom of the oil pan. So when u start draining the oil youll only see coolant coming out first. thats if its the head gasket. ounds turbo related tho