Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

idle adjustment

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
idle adjustment

I have adjusted the idle adjust screw on top of the TB and it does absolutely nothing... at all... I am trying to adjust for the RRM PB V2 and no matter which way I turn it nothing happens to the idle, stays around 500-700 and dips all the time due to the pb misfire. now, if I reset the ECU after fiddling with the screw, it will die, within a few seconds so I turned it back to stock and I get a rough idle. I turn it up from there and the intake makes a louder sucking sound but the idle stays where it is at. now maybe I am just restarted (very possible) but I don't know what I should do, any clues?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 09:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe it's the other screw? I know there are two screws on the TB. And for some reason, I think it's the bottom one you adjust. *but I could be totally wrong*

Maybe give RRM a call?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im looking to raise my idle as well, anyone know FOR CERTAIN ?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
follow the rainbow arrow

it's under that little black grommet.
Attached Thumbnails idle adjustment-idle-speed-adjust.jpg  
Old Apr 8, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Haha nice drawing.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, thats the one I have been doing, it makes no difference whether I turn it clockwise or counterclockwise I am so confused.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:08 AM
TEJ
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tweak3D
yeah, thats the one I have been doing, it makes no difference whether I turn it clockwise or counterclockwise I am so confused.

Have the same problem, i turn it a lot and the idle does not seem to go up or down.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
If you're turning the right screw and it's doing nothing you must have a leak or something.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

i've never heard of turning that screw. you could always loosen the braket on the front of the intake manifold and slide it to the left a bit. but on the piggyback rough idling, i dont think raising the idle helped. It didnt work for me, it just made the idle higher so that the backfire was rougher.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

well, if I turn the screw (counter clock wise I think) it comes up towards me and the intake starts making a loud hissing sound, but RPM's do not budge at all. check all vaccuum lines and they are all good and the seals are great on everything else, if I take off the piggy everything seems to run fine, just want to raise the idle a bit so the dips aren't so bad when it gets into that mood.

-Justin
Old Apr 9, 2006, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Agreed, Same Problem. Tho when i increased the idle with the screw it went UP, but then just goes back to normal after awhile. Still randomly dies & idles like ****.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

so uh, 3 people now, wtf, it has to be something with the piggy, I am lost, anyone know enough about these crackhead motors to know how to fix them so we don't have this issue, we get rid of the bumpy idle and bam, no CEL and bam, clean power, there has to be a reason why the 04's aren't having the issue as much or a way to make it alot less noticeable and not take a performance hit.

-Justin
The following users liked this post:
Tiffany Greene (May 3, 2019)
Old Apr 9, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've used that screw numerous times to adjust my idle. it has worked everytime in conjunction with RRM PB V.1 you need to wait till the car warms up and adjust the idle slowly. pay close attention, you'll notice the difference. although the bump doesn't go away with V.1, it seems to linger around a lot less.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

thats the problem, i've adjusted after driving the car, while its running at its low idle, arounnd 600RPMs or so and moved the f'ing screw 6 full tunrs in either direction and it does nothing to idle nothing at all, the only difference it made was, like I said, when I turned it counter clockwise it started making a hissing noise like it was sucking in more air the idle does not move at all in any way shape and or form. Im about to make a movie showing what happens because it is crazy.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

again, use the bracket on the front of the intake manifold, just not too much. and adjusting the idle wont fix your rough idle. it will just rough idle at higher rpms making them more noticeable. contact rrm and send the piggyback back to get the smooth idle map.

Quick Reply: idle adjustment