Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Throttle Body?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2007, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Body?

I'd like to heard what some folks with bored throttle bodies have to say about this mod? I know it won't give me a lot of horsepower or anything, but nothing really does. I just want to know how the car feels after this mod. Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Like you said, it won't give you alot of hp...you have to balance in your mind whether you believe the performance outweighs the costs. Funny thing though, some people just don't care! but it's your money.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I noticed nothing when I had it, at least nothing that I could definitely attribute to the TB.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 02:25 PM

bump
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

On the g93 its pretty much the same. You dont really notice much. Maybe alittle better throttle response but that is it. Also keep in mind that if you are not port matching your IM to the bore of the TB you are doing yourself no good in putting the bigger TB on.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Ya, a TB by itself should only yield throttle response gains. I would expect you would notice a decent boost in power with both RRM's Intake manifold AND throttlebody.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

You'd think so but no.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

well, like I said with ALL the breathing stuff I am doing I am sure it will do at least a little. Make a little more usable power or what not. Only thing I am not doing is the high compression pistons. I will be pushing my cars limits. If the pistons or rings ever go out I will swap some high compress pistons in but until then too expensive.

Anyway, back to topic. Technically there isn't a single HP gain without a port matched intake manifold. Also, with me having the ported head to match both header and IM it will definately give something. 5 more MM of air should provide a decent increase in power with enough supporting mods... We will see.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

I had all the breathing mods (intake, TB, IM) and we all know how that ended. When you dyno your car, try to bring along a buddy with an almost stock lancer for comparison.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd have to disagree with you on this one Amby. I got the ported IM / TB from RRM a few years ago when i lived on the east coast and was drag racing, and i would have to say that i got a decent amount of top-end from this combo. I also had Boe's over-bore fuel rail too and i definately gained a few mph at the lights after the install. I have the time slips in my car, but since i'm deployed - i don't have my car right with me at the moment
Old Sep 17, 2007, 09:43 AM

without porting the intake manifold you're gaining only minor throttle response. also a bigger turbo will benefit from these mods more than the stocker.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

I thought I gained something too until I dynoed the car. It might have contributed a bit at the top, I definitely gained power there, but I don't think it was worth the 700$ or so.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stefano
without porting the intake manifold you're gaining only minor throttle response. also a bigger turbo will benefit from these mods more than the stocker.
Ummm we're talking about the NA lancer here. Anyways, with a turbo the mod(s) would definitely be worth it, IMO they're just not worth the high price if you're staying NA.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

amby, I think I know why you are saying that. The actual peak HP might be the same. But peak HP is only half of the thing. The power curve is the other half. The power band could have been boosted which would contribute to better 1/4 miles etc. even though there is little to no peak HP numbers as shown on the dyno. I MIGHT be able to get another lancer with Intake/header/exhaust to come along and dyno with me.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Ummm we're talking about the NA lancer here. Anyways, with a turbo the mod(s) would definitely be worth it, IMO they're just not worth the high price if you're staying NA.
my bad, saw the thread on the front page and assumed it was in the Evo forum.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body?