Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

What you all need to know about motor oil in our Lancers.... PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you all need to know about motor oil in our Lancers.... PLEASE READ

Before I start I am going to post this in a few sections for our Lancer, as this is very very useful information, and you will all be amazed at my discovery.

Ok, first of all, I am not just pulling this out of my butt. I am currently attending UTI (Universal Technical Institute). And, if any of you do not know what that is, It is by far, the best automotive school in the world. Certain Companies such as Porsche and BMW will only hire people Who were at the top of there class at UTI. So, I am not just claiming to be an expert here, I got this info from the most intelligent techs there are. Don't believe me?? Give UTI a call and find out for yourself.

Anyways, this is about oil. We all need it, no doubt about that. Just a few months ago, I was searching these forums and came across a thread on oil. Supposedly, someones turboed Lancer OZ totally blew apart, and a bunch of people told him it was because of the oil he used... Wait a minute.... He used sinthetic, which is supposed to be the best of oils. Anyways, there are something like 20 or 30 pages to this arguement on this site about how our Lancer has bad tolerances in our oil pump. I am not disagreeing with this, but everyone was saying how Road Race, various techs, and Mitsubishi themselves were telling them to use conventional, because it was thicker or something. Now this made me wonder, because I was in the process of locating a turbo kit for my 06 Lancer. I thought about it for a while, and asked a few people (this is before I moved to UTI) about oils.... every single tech i asked said that sinthetic oil, like Mobil 1, Castrol GTX, and Pennsoil was far superior to conventional oils, bad tolerances or not. Synthetic is even called for more on a turbocharged car, because its heat qualities are much better, It breaks down at a much higher temperature than conventional. And a synthetic oil cannot be thinner than conventional, if the viscosities are the same. So, I knew something had to be up with this turboed OZ that just exploded. I watched as everyone on that disscussion were switching right there, saying something to he effect of, "wow, I'm gonna go buy some 15w-50 conventional and change it this weekend!" You can search "oil" on this site and you will probably be able to find it.

So, as some of you may know, I recently turboed my own lancer es... It is under the forced induction section, many have read it so far. So, for the last few weeks it has been on the back of my mind to maybe switch to conventional... I mean, if Mits is telling us that we need conventional, that must be it right?? Well, here is what I just found out....

We are all being screwed...... Thats it. I know as most of you read this, you will be going, aw, what does this kid know, I'm not going to listen to this idiot.... But please, hear me out. All oil is the same. It doesnt matter if you buy a 7 dollar a quart Mobil 1 or $1.78 a quart Wal-mart, it is all the same. Here is what is dissapointing. In late 2006, a law was silently passed that required oil companies to remove certain materials from there motor oil, such as copper. This was because the "experts" beleived that those substances were harming the catylatic converters on automobiles. So, every once of oil on the shelf today is the same.... A "full synthetic" oil, really isnt synthetic at all. All they need to do is put one ingredient in the oil that is man-made, and they are allowed to name it a "full-synthetic". So, conventional, blends, and "full synthetic", are all basically the same identical oil. No difference... all this time I had been buying the 7 dollar Mobil 1 thinking I was doing good for my motor..... Not the case at all. It is the same as the stuff for $1.78 at Wal-mart. It is all petroleum based. So, in other words, that Turbo OZ that blew up, absolutely cannot be because of the oil that he was using. It makes no diference... Conventional or "full synthetic", it flows the same, because it is the same. In fact, there is only one company that manufacturers the "additive packs" for the "synthetic" oils... So Mobil 1 is the same as Pennzoil, and they are the same as the cheapy stuff.

Now, you are probably at where I was about now... We are getting screwed, is there anything better than these fake synthetics? YES!!! The are in fact 2 companies that make a true, no BS full synthetic oil, and it is NOT petroleum based, and is actually far far superior to any other oil out there.... Perhaps you have heard of it.... Royal Purple and another brand that is not available to the public, only racing companies. Thats right, Royal Purple makes there own oil, there own additives, and they did not rid the oil of those needed substances the law took away. It is a 100% synthetic oil, and It is by far the best oil there is. I am not here to talk up Royal Purple, they are just simply the best.

Now, what about those additives you can buy to replace those lost materials?? Take a gander at this. Lucas oils, which you all know makes the "#1" oil additive available, came into the UTI campus a few years back. In one of there commercials, they show an engine treated with that additive, then drain all the oil and drove the car 100 miles from Vancuver, Canada, to Seattle, Washington. They then tore the engine down, and found zero wear. Well, when they came to UTI, the instructer that gave me all the info you just read, tried just that.... They treated an engine to that Lucas stuff, then drained the oil. The motor seized within 30 seconds. So, they are not allowed back at that school, simply on account that they made a false claim, and the school is not going to talk them up for making false claims. Royal Purple also came to the school. Again, the instructer threw a T-bucket on the dyno, made a few runs with "synthetic" oil, then replaced it with Royal Purple.... On every run, the increase in power was around 15 at the wheels... an incredible gain just for an oil change... also, Royal Purple reduces driveline friction, and runs about 10-15 degrees cooler, which in the tech world is a huge advantage. If you dont beleive any of this, go to Comp Cams website... If you do a little searching, you will find that in 2007, more than 100,000 cams.... yes, that is one hundred THOUSAND flat tappet cams, went flat in a period of 6 months.... 100,000 cams in 6 months!! Now, If you read in there tech forums, using any other oil than Royal Purple and that other brand we cannot buy, you will void the warrenty.

So, all this time we thought we were helping our engines using "synthetic" oils... exactly the same as anything else, except for Royal Purple. Hopefully this will help some of us who are wondering what to put in our cars. Royal Purple is the way to go, if you go to there website, you can watch where about 10 different independent shows test Royal Purple on dynos and everything.... Royal Purples claims are REAL!!! Those big oil companies, they don't care about our cars, they don't care about any of us... Royal Purple cares, and if I do say so, I want oil manufatured by people who care about my car. Do yourself and your car a favor and run Royal Purple.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I'm sorry but this sounds like marketing for Royal Purple. Royal Purple is crap, I don't know a single person that actually runs it successfully nor do I know anyone that actually gained significant (ie. more than just dyno error) power. Moreover, you're naive if you think they care about you anymore than other companies, they just care about your money. Oil is not just oil, go and tell a real racer that and they'll laugh in your face. Oil can have different properties, different additives and can be designed for different purposes. You might as well argue that all gas is created equally; it's not and people have learned it the hard way. Full synthetics are indeed full synthetics, you just have to buy good oil like Amsoil or Motul. From my understanding they are ester-based oil products. The car you are talking about was Kontradiction's. By all indications, something happened with the oil supply. It's entirely possible this was in fact because of the kind of oil he was running.

Last edited by ambystom01; Sep 23, 2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 09:44 AM
pao
Evolving Member

I started using royal purple after my car logged about 5k miles with no issues and and it's currently at 17k miles. I also know that it increased my gas mileage noticeably. I do a lot of free-way driving from Seattle to Portland and my gas consumption went from 3/4 of a tank to 1/2 a tank on a typical trip after I switched from Mobile 1 full synthetic. So I would say it works well.

Each and every vendor has their own opinion about their products. I say use it and see if you like it. But yes I agree with you ambystom01, this does sound like a marketing campaign for Royal Purple.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:22 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
I'm sorry but this sounds like marketing for Royal Purple. Royal Purple is crap, I don't know a single person that actually runs it successfully nor do I know anyone that actually gained significant (ie. more than just dyno error) power. Moreover, you're naive if you think they care about you anymore than other companies, they just care about your money. Oil is not just oil, go and tell a real racer that and they'll laugh in your face. Oil can have different properties, different additives and can be designed for different purposes. You might as well argue that all gas is created equally; it's not and people have learned it the hard way. Full synthetics are indeed full synthetics, you just have to buy good oil like Amsoil or Motul. From my understanding they are ester-based oil products. The car you are talking about was Kontradiction's. By all indications, something happened with the oil supply. It's entirely possible this was in fact because of the kind of oil he was running.
+1
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

lol yeah oil is just oil. full synthetic is the real deal, and is to only be used for turbo apps or N/A apps if needed. I would say fully syn does help in gas mileage. Everytime you have a oil change your hp does increase a little in performance...why do you think racecar drivers do a quick stop and oil change and such. It helps trust no matter what kind of oil.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01

Ok well i am sorry but they do not market anything, he IS a real racer, more than most, because he owns a gigantic shop and builds race engines EVERY SINGLE DAY!! I did not put this on here to market royal purple. You want the truth, go to royal pruples website right now and looka t the process. It is right there, they show you the whole thing. And no, actually, full synthetics are not full synthetic... Why dont you search around and find that law that was passed... The agency that brought up the issue said the "full synthetics" were eating up the catylatic converters. so, the oil companies HAD to change the oil and use a petroleum based substance. Yopu can beleive what you wish, but It has been proven thousands of times that Royal Purple does indeed increase HP, reduce friction, run cooler, and is derived from a synthetic material. I am not trying to argue this till death, but I am going to beleive the guy that BUILDS race engines, not just races them. My instructor has had 5 flat tappet cams come in CONSECUTIVELY back when the oil was changed, yeah, the cams were gone. Comp Cams REQUIRES that you use Royal Purple..... So, Royal purple must be crap if it is the only oil that can keep a flat tappet cam alive longer than a few hundred miles. I am 18 years old..... I am not a business man, i did not write this to market royal purple.... yes, they do want my money, and yes they DO care about my car.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:38 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ZOMGI<3ROYALPURPLEITSMADEOFSEMEN
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Why make us search for the law? Why dont you present it??
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlackOperative
Ok well i am sorry but they do not market anything, he IS a real racer, more than most, because he owns a gigantic shop and builds race engines EVERY SINGLE DAY!! I did not put this on here to market royal purple. You want the truth, go to royal pruples website right now and looka t the process. It is right there, they show you the whole thing. And no, actually, full synthetics are not full synthetic... Why dont you search around and find that law that was passed... The agency that brought up the issue said the "full synthetics" were eating up the catylatic converters. so, the oil companies HAD to change the oil and use a petroleum based substance. Yopu can beleive what you wish, but It has been proven thousands of times that Royal Purple does indeed increase HP, reduce friction, run cooler, and is derived from a synthetic material. I am not trying to argue this till death, but I am going to beleive the guy that BUILDS race engines, not just races them. My instructor has had 5 flat tappet cams come in CONSECUTIVELY back when the oil was changed, yeah, the cams were gone. Comp Cams REQUIRES that you use Royal Purple..... So, Royal purple must be crap if it is the only oil that can keep a flat tappet cam alive longer than a few hundred miles. I am 18 years old..... I am not a business man, i did not write this to market royal purple.... yes, they do want my money, and yes they DO care about my car.
Why are you repeating the same thing you posted earlier? I don't care about Royal Purple's marketing blitz.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Because, I am not going to search for hours trying to find something I already know about... I am not going to argue with anyone, I knew there were people that were going to get pissed.... Do you know why everyone is getting pissed?? Because in the back of your mind you know you have been wasting money on oils that arent what the company say they are.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

http://autoengineer.wordpress.com/20...esponsibility/

OK every body.... Read this, it explains everything I just told you but in the diesel world.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

When you present an argument (which is what this is, you imply that what you have said is contrary to popular opinion, i.e. argument) you should back it up with data. Why would it be our responsibility to prove something that you have stated, especially something as asinine as 'all oils except royal purple are the same'?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

... why not just present the law in question?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlackOperative
Because, I am not going to search for hours trying to find something I already know about... I am not going to argue with anyone, I knew there were people that were going to get pissed.... Do you know why everyone is getting pissed?? Because in the back of your mind you know you have been wasting money on oils that arent what the company say they are.
Aren't you trying to prove something to me? You should be providing the info, not me.

I haven't been wasting money on oils, because so far they've been doing their job.

So why is RP better? Because they said so? I would be more inclined to call it all bull**** because it's not third party backed up. So far you've just been posting marketing info from RP, and so far I don't care.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

2) Sulfated ash, Phosphorus, Sulfur, and Zinc in engine oils. Those contents all play key roles in oil performance, but now they must be restricted. Because after all, a very slight amount of oil does get consumed in the engine and exits through the exhaust. And with higher EGR rates, even more oil is likely to be burned. Again, the problem with each of these four is that they accumulate in the DPF catalyst “brick” and plug it up.

By severely limiting these elements and compounds in the motor oil, the performance capability of the oil has been limited. And to a great extent, the use of synthetic oils becomes almost essential. But whether synthetics or fossil-oil, this logically means that the diesel engine oil must be changed more frequently than would otherwise be needed, again consuming more natural resources that are non-renewable, and probably increasing the amount of used oil dumped in the environment.

Specifically, the CJ-4 oils are limited in their capability to reduce wear, to control/disperse soot, and to neutralize acids. The soot and acid issue means that premium synthetics are limited to lower maximum extended drain intervals. At the same time, the higher EGR rates are producing more soot and more acid in the oil, both of which are proven to reduce engine life. So oil performance and engine life have both been compromised by these CJ-4 requirements. To better see what I mean, compare the specs for AMSOIL’s new CJ-4 diesel oil, with the flagship CI-4 Plus Diesel Oil: the new CJ-4 doesn’t perform near as well in the NOACK volatility or the 4-Ball Wear Test, and check out the huge difference in TBN’s.

This article explains how those materials plug up the catylatic converters ona diesel, and that the new oil CJ-4 compared to the older CI-4 doesnt nearly perform as well

Quick Reply: What you all need to know about motor oil in our Lancers.... PLEASE READ