Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Engine Redline

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Redline

G' day,

I was wondering if my engine redline is abnormal or the same with other ES 09 Lancers.

In first the tacho will bounce the revs but in a second gear pull the car will rev out til 7k, kill the engine and let the revs drop to 6k then the engine will rev up to ~6,250RPM and just hold that RPM flat. (Peak Power RPM that is - 6,250RPM).

So is this normal? I'm not sure - I guess I was just expecting it to bounce of Redline in 2nd as well?!? What are your thought, opinions and experiances?

PS - no I dont abuse my car like some may start to think - just interested at what happens past 6K (only revved it that far twice)
Old Sep 1, 2009, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't speak for the manual tranny guys, but I have popped up to 7k with my 09 GTS CVT on the track. The cvt trannys will change from sport mode to automatic if you pop above 6.5k in 1st gear. My guess is that the rev limiter on 1st gear at that rpm is preventing you from damaging the tranny with the wheel torque you are generating due to gearing, horsepower, and rpm. In second gear you will not gen as much wheel torque as 1st gear at that rpm. That covers the tranny, now for the engine. The rev limiter on the engine is to protect the engine and drivetrain. Bad things can happen to the engine if you let the rpms go too high. at rpm's above redline, the valves can strike the pistons and that is bad, very bad, very very bad. I usually shift to second around 4.5k now to prevent this from happening and 2nd usually doesn't get that high for me. Hope this helps.

Last edited by jer301; Sep 6, 2009 at 02:24 PM.