Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Which WAY???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2004, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which WAY???

I really don't know what I want to do with my 2002 OZ.
Should I buy a turbo kit? Or keep it NA?

I know that I would not be able to buy RRM kit so I was looking at the TSI kit non-IC.
Well my question is would it give me more whp (6psi) than NA lancer?

$2000 would probably give me TSI kit non-IC w/ installation.
For that kind of money would it just be better to set up my OZ NA?

NEED HELP
Old Nov 8, 2004, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Your choice man. You need to search around awhile to make a more informed decision. Do a search and you will find tons of material on that turbo kitl. Yes, it will make it quite more powerful than a stock lancer. But also, a warning, you will probably end up spending more than 2,000., unless you are really disciplined in knowing when to quit.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

seriously, this thread should be closed, you have been around for a while now and should know that you should just run a search.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

I've been here for a while true. But this is a simple question : "would it be better to N/A or buy a TSI non-IC kit".
Sure I would run a search but who has TSI non-IC kit???
I asked this question before if TSI kit is as efficient (around 200whp) as RRM non-IC kit?
If so TSi kit is the way to go for me. On the website it says 30% gains - that's not a lot.
With some N/A options I could probably do it.
Hope someone can answer this.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

OK, I understand your question a little better now. Yeah, if the gains were only 30%, then that would put you at about 160, which you could probably reach w/o, but you would have to do pretty much everything to reach 160 and it wouldnt be any cheaper.
The rrm kit gets 200 whp only at 7 psi, and the tsi kit has a smaller t-25 turbo so it is going to run a little hotter when you try and match the boost of the t-28 pound for pound. I know the rrm non-ic kit can run safely at 7 psi for daily driving but I have know idea if the tsi one can.

Personally, I would go turbo. Especially b/c it will give you more options down the road.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

I just got the RRM non-ic kit installed on my car and am so happy with it. I think if you want the power addition to your car, go for it. I like it just because the car feel so much better with the boost in power. If I were you I'd go with the RRM turbo kit and if you can't right now because of money, save up and then get their kit. I haven't heard anything bad said about their kits. But thats just me, plus I haven't really heard a whole lot about the other kits out there so I have no idea about them. Go turbo or go Home!
Old Nov 9, 2004, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

TSI turbo sounds good but RRM sounds even better. I'll contact TSI makers and get some answers.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:51 AM
.L.
Evolved Member

i think most would agree that you'll hit $2000 very fast if your going to stay NA (with all the motor labor included). from the sound of it, i would say get the turbo kit, and then in the future you can always upgrade. whether intake manifold, throttle body, etc etc. you can add on to the turbo as well. thats just my opinion. it just seems like you'd be better off with the turbo though.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 01:39 AM

yea i would have to agree with the turbo instead of n/a, but it is all up to u.

im trying to sell my rrm non-ic kit, 2500 shipped, its been ran at 7psi for about 5000 miles.
PM me if interested
Old Nov 16, 2004, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

$2000 is going to get you nowhere if you want to stay NA. itll take a lot more than that if you wanna match the power you could get out of a turbo.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Recently there was a discussion about N/A pistons made by RRM. If they will make them I will buy a set and go N/A. I just think that if I would buy a turbo kit for my OZ it would be very hard to sell it in the future. Since I was going to buy pistons anyway (62k miles on my engine) it seems like this is a good way to go.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 06:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If your looking for 160hp to 180 hp then you should stay naturally aspired (n/a). If you are looking for more then that then go forced induction.

How to get 160hp n/a.

Remove the AC/Power Steering Belt
Grounding Kit
Intake (Also Make a heat sheild between your radatior fan and engine and your CAI Piping)
Throtal Body
Intake Manifold
Headers
High Flow Cat (or a test pipe)
Cat-Back exhaust (with a resignator designed for aftermarket performance)
Not having the resignator will not give you more power. It helps the exhaust gas
resignate properly
Keep your Stock OZ Wheels (they are light, sure they arnt as good as 17"s for handleing
but they are freaking light, Just get good tires
ECU or piggy back
Limited Slip Diferential
Clutch and Pressure Plate
Fly Wheel
Cam Shaft
Pistions with better compression
Port and Polish
Upgrade Brakes
Motor Mounts
Traction Bars (I for get what they are called for FWD cars but there
available for hondas...why not get them for a mitsu.
Use 94 Octane Fuel (Sunoco)
Short Shifter w bushings and rings

These mods should get you close if not more then 160hp. Remember when you dyno it is sone with the hood up and the engine starts off cold.

Other things to look into:

Upgrade Fan
Royal Purple oil, gear lube, brake fluid and radatior fluid
Suspention Upgrades including saway bars and bushings
Carbon Fiber Hood & Trunk
Remove Rear seeats
Remove Entire AC unite
Relocate Battery
Remove Trunk Interior
Remove Spare Tire and Jack
Keep your car clean & Waxed
Take out the plastic peice on the bumper that is infront of the CAI filter and replace with mesh.
When making a run turn the heat setting to hot with the fan off and put it on vent.

In regards to the mods...I am a releastic person and realize that most people can't afford to do everything at once. I suggest you do it in the order that I have listed and also remember the other little tricks and tips I added to keep your car light.

Last edited by Danno; Nov 16, 2004 at 06:54 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

all that for 160? i say turbo baby!
Old Nov 16, 2004, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

turbo for just 160 HP (that's about a paltry 4 psi of boost . . . who runs that low!) . . . that's a waste of effort. The lancer doesn't have a 1.3 liter now.

Turbo isn't a solution for everything. What's you're HP goal at flwheel? If you say 400 HP, you're not being realistic. Also, I noticed a few people who had bought TC for their lancer are trying to get rid of it. To me, those guys didn't want or desire to ever learn to tune it. This isn't plug and play like NA application.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 08:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by alexis525
all that for 160? i say turbo baby!
Im guessing, I dont know of one person who has done all that to there car yet. You might be close to 200hp I really dont know...regardless if you want 200+ just turbo it.

Quick Reply: Which WAY???