Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

sunroof off track?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2005, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sunroof off track?

so im driving up my dirveway today and pop the sunroof to tilt and i hear this like grind noise but dont think anything of it...then im on the highway trying to slid eit all the way open and when i hit the button back it gfoes liek foward then when i hit it to pop up it slides back...i couldnt figure out how to close it so i had to manually slide it foward as much as possible...now when i hit any button it just sounds liek its grinding...any opinions?
Old Jun 2, 2005, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

If you still have your 3 year/ 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warrany, you could take it to the dealer and they would fix it for free. Even if you have a highly modded car, they should still fix it because nothing else could effect the sunroof performance. lol. (unless they get really stupid and be like, "your turbo charger caused too much acceleration and the sunroof got stuck when you were trying to close it." lol. Or "your lowering springs caused it to be to bumpy and go off track." But as far as I know, my dealership won't void my warranty as long as I don't go turbo or get a ECU upgrade. They like my mods..

Your other option is to fix it yourself. You have to take off the headliner and see where it came off track. Sunroof's can be pretty tricky. I tried to fix the one on my old eclipse but I couldn't do it because a track runner broke. Most likely, one of your little track guides just got bumped out of place. You might have to take off one of the tracks and re-install it. Shouldn't be too bad.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

I also hear a grinding noise when i bump it up to tilt..but never affected the performance..still closes, tilts, seals, and slides back...dont what it is....but it works fine
Old Jun 2, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Well...you know that sooner or later something will happen with that noise happening. Just take it in and see what they say. Good luck.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

No doubt. Dealer time!

You don't want to risk it getting stuck in a monsoon or something, or leaking.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

yeah it looked really cloudy so i just manually pulled it shut...car is only 2 1/2 years old but i put on about 43k miles already so i guess im beat in the warentee category...anyone have a ruff estimate of how mich ill get raped at the stealership?
Old Jun 2, 2005, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

figure 80 bux an hour.. and it would probably take them almost an hour.. give or take 15 mins. Plus if you need parts.. but I doubt it. Maybe try greasing the track first to see if it is just stuck bad.. second resort, take it apart yourself, third, take it to the dealer.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 03:11 PM

its kind of funny, i had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. for some reason when i made an attempt to open my sunroof i just heard a grinding noise, i pushed the button forward, then pressed it in to open it upwards, then forward again to close. Pulled the button back to open and it did...not sure what was going on there, maybe it just didnt shut properly. I wouldnt be surprised if other people had this problem too.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

I just noticed today mine is opening and closing a little rough. Tomorrow I'm going to clean and regrease the tracks if it doesn't rain.