Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Sever Drifting at high speed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sever Drifting at high speed

Maybe someone else has this problem.. i solved it with a stereo system... kinda

So at high speeds the car likes to pick up and change lanes all on its own...

its not really windy up here.. modorate wind.. but even at 75... you can feel the car dance all over the road.. and when i got it to 80... hard to control.. 100 felt like the nose picked up... i got to about 120.. thought i was gunna die... i put in a couple hundred pounds of gear in the trunk... im big on my car stereo... kinda leveled out the drifting a little bit.. bot holy christ... i mean... do i need canards.. a body kit? a 10,000 lb weight in the front? i mean if i put small cardboard wings on the car it would literally lift off...

anyone else have this problem / tips on how to solve it? canards? lips? bricks and duct tape?
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have a spoiler? Probably not... i would recommend the Evo wing if you like to go that fast and want to stay planted. Also lowering springs or coilovers to lower your center of gravity.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Same exact problem i am having...i dnt have anything in the trunk thoug, it is just empty. I am gonna get the tires balaced tomorrow and if doesnt make any diffrence than i am getting an alignment done. Hope that will solve our problem.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

yeah... thats big money... i was just wondering if anyone else had the problem with a stock ES 04 - 05... cause man... it was dancing like a stripper on crack

Its deffinately not tires or alignment.. my car is new.. 3 weeks to be exact... this is a design flaw me thinks
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

also thinking of getting RRM Sway bar, and RDD struts pretty soon. Not interested in lowering until i save up money for the TEIN Coilovers. Yeah mine does dancing at 75+ that ****t scares me .....dont want another accident on my record.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a my oz rally stock at the time and didnt have any problem at that kinda speed..... I dont think the oz wing makes that big a difference.... mabey sway bar helps a tiny bit.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

i dont even thinks its a question of suspension.. i mean obviously if you lower the car and put a good body kit on it.. your going to lower your COG and get the air to pass over the car better.. but at highway speeds the car shouldnt dance like that... i scared the crap out of a galant in the other lane... granted he was doin 65 and i was doin aboyt 95. should have seen the look on his face.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Does steering wheel shake a little or not? I am pretty sure that i idnt have this problem before it got worst since beginning of february.

By the way, I have one new tire in the rear left and one kinda old in the rear right so i am thinkin that is what causing this problem severly on my car; however, rear tires are balanced recently so i dont really know.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Well, if you are on the highway you shouldn't be going that fast and start complaining when you can't control your car.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

no steering wheel shake.. and i had a beater 94 pontiac grand prix that i took care of.. alot.. did about 130... didnt shake shimmy or sway... or drift.. or even complain... and im always in control of my car.. which is why im supprised enough to start a thread to figure out if im out of my mind.. or ive actually lost control over my vehical.. which in that case ill turn in my keys and take the bus... but i know for a fact thats not happenin
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eehjay
Well, if you are on the highway you shouldn't be going that fast and start complaining when you can't control your car.
Yeah you are right but this problem is happening recenly, i have been going over 75+ on freeways for more than 2 years, never had drifting problem like this before.

However; thanx for trying to help.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

well this is the first time since ive owned it ive really been able to open er up... so your recent problem is prolly your alighment or your balance.. but mines most deffinately not... i need an an expert call on this.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

I will let u know tomorow after i get the wheels rebalanced and get the alignment done...lets hope for the best. I am thinking that having no major weight in the back is giving us this problem.

Hey andrew, i found this site....check it out see if that can help us: http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/FAQ/482

and

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-16999.html

bump...... for some evom guru's help

Last edited by 04lancerEsGuy; Mar 10, 2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Wider rims and better rubber would help alot as well. The Evo spoiler will definately make your car more stable at higher speeds. I don't think the car is made to go as fast as you are pushing it in stock form. Your grand prix was way heavier than your Lancer so that's why it didn't have any problems going those speeds and i would also think the tires were wider.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

indeed 7 inches wide in fact.. and yeah.. that car was a heavy weight classic... a true monster... i like this car though cause its light and has good pickup... but if its gunna be worth a damn its gotta stay on the road.. and once again o4lancer its not shaking... at all.. theres no vibration.. its seriously like the car is lifting up and moving side to side... but yeah.. got some extra weight in the trunk.. helped a bit.. looks like lowering it and getting a more aerodynamic body on there will do the trick... also thinking of going with the bricks and duct tape

Quick Reply: Sever Drifting at high speed