Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

VA Window Tint Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VA Window Tint Ticket

So I decided to check out a new store in the town beside mine (Blacksburg/VA Tech). Anyways I end up getting stopped by a cop and written a ticket for my tint being too dark. I was wondering if anyone else has and if they got out of the fine? The cop registered 14% and 15% on my front and back windows. Which should be 20% in the first place.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know about VA, but in a lot of places, if you have your tints removed and prove it to them ---they would drop the ticket----don't know what the VA fines are, but in GA they are expensive as hell (bout a grand)---

downside is, having your tint removed just to drop a ticket =/
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Just remove the tint to what the law says its supposed to be at and they'll drop the ticket. It's about a $100 to a $150 dollar ticket in MN, and I havent heard of too many people getting their tickets carried out if they took it off or got the right tint.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 07:01 AM

Well the fine is only thirty dollars. Plus court fees, etc. I really like the darker tint and will probably just pay it and try my luck again. (I have had this on for months now with no problems -- I knew it was bound to happen though) Maybe after the next ticket I'll end up dropping the tint back to state limits.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

I got pulled in the same area, running 20% too. Paid the ticket and moved. Then after school moved backed to VA, and after 2 more incidents, decided to play by their rules.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

You should brighten it up and get some more reflective film, although I agree, the dark tint does look amazing on these cars. Chances are it wont be 30 bucks plus court fees next time, Im sure it'll be higher. But good luck, maybe you can get away with it, typically its only jerk cops that pull you over for that.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

The fines arent too bad and its only a rare thing when they pull you for it. Ive gotten it twice in like 2 years its not a moving violation or anything so you can pay over the phone even and just keep the tint i always have. But really they dont usually pull you for tint its something else then they just tack it on at least for me and i have 5% in the back 3 well i did for 2 years till i traded in the ralliart but mine new windows are still too dark dunno % tho
Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:39 PM

Ya well I will be back in the Virginia Beach area after school and to be honest police have more important things like murders then cars with a little to dark tint. Around here the apparently have nothing better to do.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

In most states its legal to have limo tint on the rear and rear passenger windows. I'm not sure what the laws are for the front driver and passenger windows but in Missouri i think the darkest you can go is 20% or 15% and then the strip at the top of the front windshield.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

You guys are lucky cuz MN sucks, they say you can only have 50% tint all around the car with no more then 20% reflectivity and you are not allowed to have a front strip. In the cities its not a big deal but in the suburbs they will pull you over for anything. A light on my friends license was shifted some how from like snow being packed in there from backing out his driveway and he got pulled over for it, the cop said it was potentially blinding. We got home and looked at it and it was just pointing down instead of on the plate, which had no effect on anyone driving. He didnt get a ticket but that just shows, if cops have nothing better to do, they will pull you over for it if they think they might catch you on something else. Whether it be a curfew ticket for kids or suspect you've been drinking. It depends on where you are.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:43 PM

Here the law states 50% on the front two windows and 35% on the back door windows and rear window. I had this on my car to begin with but it wasn't that dark. This got really scratched up so it gave me a reason for darker tint and moleskin. I have had the 20 % all the way around (except front windshield) for a while. I will just stick to places I know don't care and back home where a murder is more important lol.