Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

09 Lancer DE Newbie! Many Mod Questions ahead!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 09 Lancer DE Newbie! Many Mod Questions ahead!

Thanks for clickin on that Link!

Please don't Chew me up and spit me out lol, I love to do my research before buying something, especially when its for our Cars!

Anyone in the Chicago area who is willing to do meets? PM me if interested

I have been on the forums for quite some time now, ever since I got my 09 Lancer DE with a CVT Trans i wanted to mod it.

I understand that the Base model and the CVT trans dont help much at being a fast car like the Evo MT but I would like to Increase overall Performance out of my CVT.

I want to increase the Acceleration, Handling, and Power.

Read about Turboing as the only for sure way to have a Big increase on a car but seeing as i have a CVT it would be so stupid to drop 5k on a turbo with so many restrictions from the Trans.

So far I only have a K&N SRI but thats about it

I have a couple of Questions covering :Power: :Handling: :Acceleration:

Here we go and please have patience with me :P

RRM Headers?? As everyone knows, if your car breathes better, the better the performance you'll get, Well i am curious about the RRM Headers, Will there be a noticeable difference? Would i get better Acceleration? or Top Speed? What are the Pros of this on a CVT Trans?

RRM Crank Pulley?? Heard that the RRM Pulley isnt Balanced and that it could chip off and **** your engine up big time, But i also heard that it happens on bigger engines (Evos) would this increase the Acceleration by much on a CVT? Lighter pulley lighter load, better performance?

Cat-Back OR Axle-Back?? Read a couple of threads about Axle-Backs being a better investment than Cat-backs on the CVT because "Most of the exhause restiriction is in the Muffler" from what I read. I want to have a nice Deep Sound but NOT LOUD, ill get pulled over quick over here lol (had 3" Dual exhaust on a Civic and kept getting tickets) Which one would be the best Bang for my Buck??

Works Flash!! I read nothing but good things about this ECU Flash, many haters out there too who will say its a waste of money but how can you beat 18+ hp from a reflash?? anyone has it?? what differences did you spot from the switch?? Do you think it will help out with me having a CVT?? Will happily invest in the ECU reflash but I want someone to help me decide

Coil-Overs OR Lowering Springs?? I DO NOT want to 'Stance' my car, I dont want to make my car look like its rolling on Jet Propellers (Delorean from Back to the future) and I wont be tracking my car. All i want is to increase the Street Handling as best as possible, Dont want a bumpy *** road either. I want to have a nice Aggressive look to my car and also a nice drop that will help get rid of the huge Wheel Gap. I wanna be able to literally feel the Handling of the car and the corners i Take, (Eibach , Tien , Grips) Leaning towards the Eibach Sportline Springs so far (best drop and Ride and handling from what i read so far)

Your input is Greatly appreciated and will be taken into consideration when making my decisions on what mods to purchase!!! Thank you Guys
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:59 AM
tiC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can chime in regarding the axleback and springs.

Keep in mind that axle backs are more for sound than anything, sure they may be slightly less restrictive than the stock exhaust....but it doesn't compare to a cat-back/custom setup with larger piping for increased flow. If you're looking at Axle-backs, I'd suggest the Greddy RS or SE. I have the Ti-C, which is now named the RS aka "Racing sport" because it doesn't come with the burnt titanium tip. You can buy that for the RS separately though if you'd like, it looks really nice. The RS has a nice deep tone, only gets loud when you're above 1500 RPM's on the freeway, or just chomping on it around town. Find some videos on YouTube to hear what it sounds like, there's plenty of em.

I'm running H&R sport springs, they offer a close to level drop front and rear which was what I was after. With any spring you will find your handling to be significantly better, but the ride is going to be a bit harsher. Even small bumps feel big, it took a while to get used to. Now I try and avoid potholes and any ruts in the road whenever possible. You will learn to do that ones you're lowered. A lot of people will suggest Coils over springs, simply because they're a complete unit meant for lowering. Running aftermarket springs on the stock struts will cause them to wear out quicker. Some people have had pretty good luck when it comes to OEM strut lifespan while on springs...I guess it really depends on how much you drive, and what the road conditions are like. The next big factor is the price, there is a huge difference...so if you're on a budget, I'd look at springs for now.