Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Electrical Or Mechanical?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2004, 02:06 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Or Mechanical?

i was looking into getting autometer gauges for show reasons...plus i think they look cool....but i ran accross electrical and mechanical gauges?...whats the differecne between these
for example: whats the difference in an air/fuel ratio electrical and an ail/fuel ratio mechanical...thanks
Old Mar 15, 2004, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Mechanical gauges measure whatever you want measured through a mechanical means and translate that directly to the gauge. Oil/fuel pressure is pushed through a tube to a capillary that is calibrated to register on the gauge at whatever range desired. They usually have a broader "sweep" on the gauge-more movement of the needle.

Electrical gauges historically had a shorter "sweep' but that has changed in previous years. The benefit is that there is not oil/hot coolant/gas inside the passenger compartment (this has been changed recently too, using a noncorrosive fluid to the gauge).

Air/fuel ratio, I believe, is always an electrical gauge since it is sniffing the exhaust and changing that to an electrical impulse that is interpreted by the gauge. Fancy O2 sensor...

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 03:36 PM
Account Disabled

ok so there isnt a lot of difference...since its for show purposes then it doesnt matter right?
Old Mar 24, 2004, 03:05 AM

umm.. for simplicity's sake, I would def. go for the electrical gauges. Like jason33hs said, for mechanical gauges, you would have to actually run the "fluid" to the gauges. This would be for like, water temp, Oil temp, oil pressure, ect.

Electrical on the other hand, you would only have to install a sensor to pick up the pressure or temp readings, and run wires to your gauges. Much safer and easier IMO.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Mech. boost gauge uses the vacuum line from the manifold to the gauge and the needle is operated by vacuum presure.

Elec. boost gauge uses the vacuum line from the manifold to a sensor, which can be mounted in the engine bay, and from this sensor a thin electrical wire connects to the gauge and the needle is operated electronic gears.