Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Should the front 2 fans be running when the car is not on? (engine not running)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2016, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should the front 2 fans be running when the car is not on? (engine not running)

So I have a 2003 Lancer (ES). I noticed lately that even when the car is cold. Like its been sitting in the garage overnight, and I put the key in and move it to the position that gives power to the windows (but doesnt turn on the engine) the fans under the hood basically spin full blast.

After I take the key out they run for another 5 to 10 seconds and turn off. Is this normal?

I thought those were only supposed to run in situations like when you are sitting in traffic and there is no airflow to keep engine cool.

What regulates when these turn off/on, and should they be full blast when engine is not running?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not normal. Your FCM (Fan controller module) regulates whether the fans come on or not. You'll want to purchase the updated FCM from the dealerships since the ones on EBay or whatever are probably the defective ones.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by jcmaz
It's not normal. Your FCM (Fan controller module) regulates whether the fans come on or not. You'll want to purchase the updated FCM from the dealerships since the ones on EBay or whatever are probably the defective ones.
How much should I expect to pay for one? And how much should I expect to pay for installation?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 08:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought mine from the dealership for around $200CAD, you guys probably have it cheaper. Installation is easy. The FCM is located near the two fans on the driver side. You just need to undo a couple bolts, unclip two wiring plugs, and that's it. Because it is so easy and accessible, I wouldn't pay for installation.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by jcmaz
I bought mine from the dealership for around $200CAD, you guys probably have it cheaper. Installation is easy. The FCM is located near the two fans on the driver side. You just need to undo a couple bolts, unclip two wiring plugs, and that's it. Because it is so easy and accessible, I wouldn't pay for installation.
Cool thanks! How long did it take for yours to go out? Mine lasted around 85k miles and 14 years.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrushev
Cool thanks! How long did it take for yours to go out? Mine lasted around 85k miles and 14 years.
that's a pretty good run, mine lasted less than 10 years...very common issue...very simple fix...the controllers were only like $70 USD way back when...they've gone up, but I haven't checked lately.