Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

E-brake

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2006, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-brake

anyone know how to tighten the e-brake cable so you dont have to pull so high? if so show some pics, cause im a picture kinda person. LOL
Old May 1, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

adjust your rear brakes... if your e-brake goes to high to easily? That means you need to adjust your rear brakes. if you don't, you'll be putting alot of stress on your front pads causing faster wear and tear!
Old May 1, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

im in the same bout. i would like to know what u mean by adjust your brakes. Like there is a specific way to adjust them cause the only thing i know is how to change them.
Old May 1, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

I'll bump this too. I remember reading some thread about this months ago, but they never got the question answered from what I remember
Old May 1, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A mechanic that I used to work with at Pepboys once told me an easy way to adjust rear brakes is to slowly back up and pull the e-brake. He said to do this two or three times. I would try that if you can't get to a shop right away, but go ahead and put it in the shop and remember to set your parking brake whenever you park, whether on a hill or not. That will keep them adjusted and extend the life of the front pads.
Old May 1, 2006, 11:40 PM

I use to have a 92 civic hatch and the way we tighten them was taking off the center console and adjusting the screws on the lines. so when you pull your e brake it stops at like half the way instead of almost all the way up.
Old May 4, 2006, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanport
I use to have a 92 civic hatch and the way we tighten them was taking off the center console and adjusting the screws on the lines. so when you pull your e brake it stops at like half the way instead of almost all the way up.
yes, but that is just a fix, if it takes more and more clicks to get the same amount of hold on the brake then you are just covering up a more sever problem. one of the three things it could be is the adjustment of the rear brakes themself, the pads getting low, or the parking brake cable being stretched. like it was said before, with the first two, it will eventually put more wear on your fgront brakes than necessary, and if its the last, you may stretch and break the cable. it will probably happen at the most inopportune time, too. as do most car problems.
Old May 4, 2006, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

they sell a special brake adjusting tool at autozone. In the rear on the drums (if you have an 02 or 03) there's a little rubber tab on the back side that can be removed. You put in the tool and you start moving the spindel that's inside. Everytime it move it it clicks. You adjust it to however much you want. you can Loosen or tighten. To test just have someone actually rotate the tire as someone else is under adjusting it. when you feel you can't move the tire anymore or it's a stiff as you would want it to be then you're good to go. That should solve the e-brake issue as well. it'll get dramatically tighter.

Caution, Don't over tighten though because the car then won't move. it'll feel like the e-brake is engaged.

I hope this is helpful.
Old May 4, 2006, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

that's awesome... thanks