Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

How To: Painting the middle of the front bumper

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not bad. Is there anyway of not covering the Mitsubishi logo though? I think it would look better if that wasnt blacked out too.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:00 AM

The logo is still chrome. I didnt do anything to it. Just coverd the surrounding crome piece. The grill with the logo attached to it is black anyway.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

looks awesome bigstott.

how did you trim it? knife or sissors? anything we should watch out for? (the sides)

sorry to throw out all thse questions! lol. just want to get some first-hand experience before i start.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:28 AM

First thing is take your time!!! If you try to rush it it will look like crap. I used a knife for most of it except to cut the big stuff. When you do the big panel cut the piece about 2-3 inches bigger all the way around beacuse the curve of the bumper will shorten one side of the vinyl when you curve it around. Take off the top grill before yo do the bumper. make sure you go inch by inch so as to not have any air bubbles. If you do get a few just take a small needle and poke it then smooth it out. Now with the chrome trim it is very hard to do. I would suggest doing it in pieces IE top botton left right. Your wont really notice the ovelap pieces if you lay it down correctly. I didnt do it this way and i think it made it harder to do. but just work it slowly and stretch the vinyl out as you go then enjoy the EVO look

Last edited by bigstott; Jan 29, 2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigstott
The logo is still chrome. I didnt do anything to it. Just coverd the surrounding crome piece. The grill with the logo attached to it is black anyway.
How do you mean man? Looking at your pics, it seems the vinyl has covered the Mitsubishi badge too. I was asking if there is anyway to black out the surrounding chrome piece, while leaving the badge as is?

Last edited by Karan; Jan 29, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:09 AM

Ok if you mean the 3 dimonds in the pic.... that is just the light angle... if you look at the other pics of it mounted on the car you will see that it is still chrome.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Oh haha my bad. I see what you mean now. Looks perfect then! Thats exactly what I have in mind for my ride too. How did you go about cutting out the vinyl so perfectly for the chrome piece?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:16 AM

When you do the chrome piece cut the whole thing about 3 inches longer and wider then the whole trim. Start at one end and press it down slowly to the chrome making sure there ar no bubbles. It will cover the whole thing even the middle where the grille goes. Then cut in the middle where the grill will gothe start to pull the vinyl over the edges of the trim... you have to pull it tight and a couple of times to get it to look good. Just be patient with it. Do the same thing on the other side... then just pull and trim pull and trim till you get it to look how you want.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by bigstott
Ok everyone i finally go to put on the vinyl front bumper and let me tell ya it looks sweet!!!!! Here are some install pics for you to look at. Tell me what you think!!

great job man...looks really good!
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:05 PM

Sup folks my name is Matt and im new to the forums. Purchased a white GTS last weekend and its bad***. Anyway so i saw this post and i really like the way the blacked out grill looked, which made me give it a try. Now i followed every step of this how to and it was awsome..(i will be blacking out the rest of the bumper in the next couple days..)

here are the pics

Sorry for the long post but i wanted to show how easy it really is to do!
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

how do u take the grille off?? can someone post up pictures?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by krnkimchi702
how do u take the grille off?? can someone post up pictures?
Its easy.. Follow the how to that explains taking off the front bumper. You start by removing 6 pushpins that hold the plastic piece above the radiator.. then using a short short philips head screw drive remove 5 screws that keep the grill in place.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=292615 here check it out
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:24 PM

i say go vinyl sticker its easy and removable.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

im liking that 3 piece kit thats sold on ebay
heres outcome pic
will be buying and installing on my blue gts

Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:48 PM

i agree viynl is a good way to go... i say try the vinyl first and then go to paint once you have made sure that you like it. that would be the best way to eliminate those cold feet

Quick Reply: How To: Painting the middle of the front bumper