Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Dash Gauge lights not working

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
here is a way you can check to see if your switch is the problem. pop your dimmer switch out of the dash. unplug it. now turn on your headlight switch the entire way. take your plug that goes in the switch and take a jumper wire. look at the back of the plug and notice the solid black wire. take your jumper wire and plug it into the front of the plug and complete a circuit between the solid black wire and the wire in the center of the plug. take a look at your odometer and see if the back-light lights up on the LCD. wiggle the wires if necessary, to get good contact. if your lights come on at all. you now know that the switch is definitely the problem. i just tried it on my plug so i could figure out what wires do what. good luck, keep me posted
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
here is a way you can check to see if your switch is the problem. pop your dimmer switch out of the dash. unplug it. now turn on your headlight switch the entire way. take your plug that goes in the switch and take a jumper wire. look at the back of the plug and notice the solid black wire. take your jumper wire and plug it into the front of the plug and complete a circuit between the solid black wire and the wire in the center of the plug. take a look at your odometer and see if the back-light lights up on the LCD. wiggle the wires if necessary, to get good contact. if your lights come on at all. you now know that the switch is definitely the problem. i just tried it on my plug so i could figure out what wires do what. good luck, keep me posted
ok, that sounds like a great example Im going to try it out now and tell yall soon as Im done.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:43 PM

modlanceroz you are great!
I tried what you said and it worked. so today I got a new one from the store and now it works perfectly.
BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME OUT!!!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
could have rigged up a rheostat from an electric guitar or something, lol, just kidding...glad it wasn't a wiring problem, for your sake
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Montreal
I tried what you said and it worked. so today I got a new one from the store and now it works perfectly.
no problem man., i hopped in my car yesterday to take it to the body shop. i turned on my lights and my dash lights aren't working. i blew a fuse testing out the wire schematic. haha.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
could have rigged up a rheostat from an electric guitar or something, lol, just kidding...glad it wasn't a wiring problem, for your sake
That's funny as hell. I know a lot of people that would actually do something like that. Or they would cut and solder the wires together and say who in the hell wants dim lights anyways lol
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
no problem man., i hopped in my car yesterday to take it to the body shop. i turned on my lights and my dash lights aren't working. i blew a fuse testing out the wire schematic. haha.
lol thats messed up, but atleast you know what it is bro
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Montreal
Hey montreal when you put the new dimmer in do you notest if the gauge cluster light where brighter?
My lights look very dim.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by 1hotevo9
Hey montreal when you put the new dimmer in do you notest if the gauge cluster light where brighter?
My lights look very dim.
yea bro they are way brighter now, mines where kinda dim before they completely went out
Old Nov 23, 2013, 02:46 PM

Hey,don't mean to bump an old thread but can someone tell or take a picture of which wires go in which pin? I've got a Mickey Mouse'd car as far as wiring
Old Dec 18, 2014, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1hotevo9
i had the same problem with my right hand turning signal in the gauge cluster, and I had to replace the little bulbs inside
I know this is really really old, but I'm looking to replace those little bulbs in my instrument cluster, dash, and gear shift. Do you know where to find them?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by darrinm3
I know this is really really old, but I'm looking to replace those little bulbs in my instrument cluster, dash, and gear shift. Do you know where to find them?
Neo wedge bulbs. https://www.superbrightleds.com

Get the brightest ones. The regular ones make the cluster really dim. I can't remember the size off hand. If you need I could look at bulbs I took out to get the size
Old Aug 22, 2018, 02:46 PM

02 Lancer OZ Rally

I have an 02 Lacer OZ Rally, my dash lights stopped working after I removed the factory stereo and replaced it with an after market CD player. I used and aftermarket wiring harness and all wires are connected properly and none of them are grounding out. I swapped out the dimmer switch and have checked all the fuses none were blown . The check engine light still works along with all the other lights when the car is turned on accessorie but the dash lights nor the P,R,N,D lights will work once I turn my headlights on .Any suggestions ?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 11:19 PM

Problem solved

It's definitely a fuse under the hood fixed my problem with light on dashboard and right tail light out after putting a aftermarket radio in there are two fuse for right and left tail lights