Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Advice on upgrade path (2005 OZ)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on upgrade path (2005 OZ)

This is my first post, so all apologies if my forum etiquette is somewhat lacking.

I have done a fair amount of research. I work in a parts department and can get company pricing at our mitsubishi dealership if that matters.

Here are my goals: Good to great handling, I'd be perfectly happy with 180-200 HP when all is said and done (turbo'd). Cosmetics don't really matter to me and will come last if ever. This is also my daily driver, so the most important thing for me is probably that I do each thing as professionally as possible and keep my car as reliable as I can.

Time frame: I'd like to have it all done by next tax season. I can use my Christmas bonus to finish my turbo install and my tax check to get a nice set of coilovers and maybe a couple other little odds and ends.

So here was my plan in the order I figured it would all happen. Any and all advice is welcome.

1)New tires all around (got 205/55/15s on stock OZ rims)
2) Figuring on getting a Progress Rear Anti-Sway Bar next week and letting my brother ( professional welder) weld on some more supportive mounts for it.
3) Piggy-back or stand-alone? I have very little interest in doing much tuning. I plan on getting it professionally tuned. I don't particularly care for the idea of splicing things. I'm leaning towards an AEM Standalone or some other such system that just replaces the stock ECU entirely
4) upgrade the fuel pump, FPR, fuel lines, etc in preparation for a turbo.
5) custom turbo-kit
6) coilovers
7) cosmetics

Thoughts, comments, concerns? Thanks in advance.
Old May 23, 2013, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

also the car currently has 67,000 miles if that makes any difference, and no other problems that I am aware of.

I'm also going to get a short throw shifter this week but thats hardly worth mentioning. lol
Old May 23, 2013, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

So to be more clear I already bought and installed new tires, brakes, and rotors. I also painted my calipers while I was at it just for fun.

Also steps 3, 4, and 5 are all essentially the same thing, I just put 3 and 4 separate because my thinking was that I could do those without putting the car out of commission for any significant amount of time.

Ideally the car needs to be running during weekdays. I can tear it apart and play with it on weekends, but on weekdays it needs to go.

As someone said in another thread, I really don't see any point in doing any n/a "performance" mods unless they directly contribute to the turbo build, eventually.
Old May 23, 2013, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you got it all figured out man
Old May 23, 2013, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks eusgen :-) I know there are a million threads almost exactly like this, but I figured at the very least it would be worth laying my specific plan out for those of you that have more experience and knowledge.

I'm going to order the sway bar and short-throw shifter tonight. While I wait for it to arrive I'll be looking for specifics on how to reinforce the mounting brackets. If anyone has personal knowledge of the issue or pics (or a link to a thread that covers it), such would be most appreciated.
Old May 23, 2013, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Btw how is the kyb strut/tien spring combo working out for you? I had read that the kybs were almost as likely to bust as the stock struts when combined with performance springs... But if that isn't the case anymore (all the threads I read concerning it were several years old), I wouldn't mind doing that instead of shelling out a grand for coilovers.
Old May 23, 2013, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

After you get done buying everything you end up spending almost $700+ anyways, If I were to do it again I would just get coils. You have to buy bushing and strut boot kits separate from the struts/springs.

I will search for my old post where I laid out what you need and the price; for strut/spring lowering.

edit* found it:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...ruts-asap.html

Originally Posted by eusgen
My old strut/shocks are literally trash, there is nothing left to them and if there is anything left it is torn to shreds. I think the bushing kit is the same for both front and rear. This is what I am looking at currently...

(4x) Shocks:

(4x) Struts:

(2x) Strut bushing kit: (EDIT: ONLY NEED 2 BUSHING KITS FOR REAR STRUTS)

(2x) Front strut boots:

(2x) Rear strut boots:

The strut bushing and boots cost me an extra ~$150 dollars on top of the $350 for struts and $170 for springs

Last edited by eusgen; May 23, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just out of curiosity what site are you getting your sway bar from?

Also for perches since rrm stopped selling their progress bar (actually lied to me and said they don't make them any more) but I've been talking to a guy here called Beautiful Punk and he said he can fab up some perches once his plate frees up. If he starts one for me (or you) first we should ask him to make another set so the other can buy as well.
Old May 24, 2013, 04:03 AM
Evolving Member

I ordered the sway bar from auto city imports. Unfortunately their website doesn't mention whether they actually have them in stock or not... I guess I'll call them today to get an ETA.

As far as the mounts go, I really just planned on Jerry-rigging something based on picture of what other people have done and whatever seems intuitive.

Thanks again, eusgen. That's good stuff.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 06:34 PM

Like previous stated, you seem to have a good idea of the proceedings. Did you have an idea for the turbo set up?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Well, 16g6 seems to be the way to go, although im still a little confused about what exactly to buy... I've seen some threads where people talk about 10.5/9.5 hot sides... Are these different versions of the same turbo? Which one do I need?

As for the rest, I'm planning on sending beautifulpunk the money to start on a custom manifold/j-pipe in order to avoid the clutch slave issue on my m/t 05. Hopefully will be able to get that process rolling this weekend.

Also hoping I'll be able to get a tactronix cable and evoscan this week so I can start learning how to tune.

Just got a second job, so once the additional $$$ starts rolling in from that in a couple weeks I'll start my build thread and get the ball rolling. I can't wait. In the meantime... Research research research!!!