Notices

S&S Speakers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S&S Speakers

Ok. I did some searching and some reading and I am still unclear about these speakers.

First off, my front driver's side tweeter and speaker are blown. Secondly, I'm not paying the stealership for stock ones. Third, the R/A folks I contacted have not really responded yet about selling their S&S OEM ones, so that is my dilemma. I'm trying to decide on OEM Evo or R/A S&S speakers or aftermarket, but I am not upgrading my head unit. On to the questions...

Question 1: Do Evo 8/9 stock speakers and/or tweeters fit in our car without modification and is the speaker quality (not sound quality) any better? Was there an upgraded audio package for the Evo 8/9?

Question 2: Are the OEM S&S door speakers 6.5" with a weird bracket, 6.75" with a weird bracket or 170mm EURO-DIM (or whatever) with a weird bracket?

Question 3: Does anybody have a picture or the OEM S&S Infinity door speakers and the brackets? I want to know if they are 2-way components and what the brackets look like. (I know I could take my door panel off and do it myself, but its easier if someone already has the picture)
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:16 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question #1 .....yes

Question #2 .....yes

Question #3 ..... http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-a...install-5.html
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
If you want to stick with OEM speakers then more power to you. But personally I would go aftermarket. Experience tells me that you never know how hard someone has ran their stock speakers or how much life is actually left in them. Therefore Id get a new set of something aftermarket, it will probably sound better, perform better, and has a much better chance of out lasting used audio equipment. And if your not into LOUD music, but your just wanting to repair the sound then a cheap aftermarket set wont cost you much. Just my .02
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

I hear you bakuro...i just don't want to go through the whole fabbing brackets thing. Just want to keep it simple like plug and play, cause from what I've read most people buy aftermarkets and cannot fit them in the factory brackets.

I'm trying to figure out which size speakers to buy to avoid this or just getting OEM's.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Ah ok! I see what you mean. Well I cant remember exactly how big the tweeters are but I think that the stock ones can be gutted and used as a bracket for aftermarket ones. Not sure about the other ones though.

I once did a complete audio overhaul in a Jeep Cherokee I had. Added tweeters on the dash, replaced all the door speakers, added two more speakers in the rear and a set of subs. With the head unit I had at the time I could plug my xbox up under the passenger seat, run the audio into my head unit and the video into one of those cigarette lighter DVD players and it would play surround sound in the Jeep. It was awesome! I miss that old thing. Id take it to lan parties for Halo, and CoD and play with everyone from inside my Jeep it was epic.

Ive been wanting to amp up the audio in the RA but ive been sinking too much into suspension stuff. LOL
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
doesnt crutchfield provide brackets for you if you purchase speakers from them?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Question #2 .....yes
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Are these the same ones we have?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:25 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes there is a weird bracket and installation issues have been posted a lot with 6.5-6.75 speakers. I'm not 100% by looking at the pic, aske the seller if they are from a lancer/evo 04-06 .
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:32 AM

You're right about normal 6.5" speakers not fitting the doors. The adapter rings that come with some speakers usually don't fit either. I doubt you'll be able to find something that's a drop in fit.

If you can wait, I'll be home mid December and I'd be happy to sell you a pair of the stock speakers. I should still have the tweeters as well.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks strakele but I already committed with another seller.