Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

reinstalling tranny

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2004, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry reinstalling tranny

hey, i am trying to get my tranny back in my car fater installing my new clutch and i was wondering if anyone had some advice as to how to get the tranny to line back up with the block. Or if there is anyone in the twin cities that has done this maybe i could get some help. Anything would be great. Right now i have the rear engine mount on and the mount on the drivers side back on but i can't get the tranny to align with the block and i am getting really pissed off. Thanks in advance for the help
Old Apr 11, 2004, 01:23 PM
EvoM Guru

are you having trouble because there's not enough room for the whole tranny or because the input shaft isn't aligning with the clutch disc?
Old Apr 11, 2004, 02:02 PM

i don't know if its the input shaft or if i just can't get everything else to properly align. i'm just getting pissed off at the car so it seems that my efforts for the day may be done. It seems like it could be the input shaft because no matter what i do i can't get the tranny any closer than like an inch or two from the block but when it is like that the holes for the bolts look like that could line up correctly. Is there anyone in the twin cities that could come and give me some help? my friend and i have been trying to get this thing back in for a couple hours worth of time.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

i had the same problem. i just hooked up the clutch line, filled the resevoir and had to bleed it to get some pressure. i did it to disengage the pressure plate off the disc so the disc would align with the shaft. have a friend push the pedal in after there is pressure. mine popped right in after that.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 03:00 PM

ill give that a shot, how did you ever come up with the idea to do that? I hope that works if not i'll be back for more help
Old Apr 11, 2004, 03:57 PM

well, no luck so far i think i may be going to rent an engine lift and just see what i can do to get the tranny to align with the block. Thanks for the help and hope everyone has had a happy easter
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

i forgot to tell you if your motor is only supported by the passenger side mount put a floor jack under the oil pan to level the motor. i put the tranny on my chest and lifted it into place. i had a seperate jack supporting the tranny while i hooked up the lines for the clutch to do my trick.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

try spinning the shaft a little...and try putting it in again...you do have to line up the spindles for it to slide in. i remember trying a few time on my brothers civic b4 i was able to slide it in all the way
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:47 PM

well, since i gave up earlier i think i may have to try this tomorrow after i get home from school. i just don't understand how the damn thing won't slide into place i have the engine jacked up with a floor jack to where the engine looks level and i have two of the three mounts on the tranny mounted already but the front one with the cross member on it is like two inches too far to the left when i am under the car so i makes me think that the engine is being puller forward by the jack holding the engine up. do you think it would be easier if i went and rented an engine lift to help align the tranny and engine? i think i may be trying to spin the shaft a couple times before i go and rent a lift though. by the way sjl6102 how the hell did you lift the tranny without a jack? that thing is f****** heavy.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

i just put it on my chest and picked it up bench press style and had a jack close under me so if i got tired i wouldn't have to set it back down. it seemed to weigh about 80-90 lbs. it is a ***** to hold it there though. i had 3 people helping me. my little brother pushed in the clutch pedal my dad moved the tranny around while i held it and moved it up and down.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 09:15 PM

well, i went and got an engine lift today and i still can't get the damn thing to align for the life of me iam just about ready to throw the whole car out in the street for the garbage man to pick up. seriously i just don't know how it will not line up properly. When you put it back in did you align it and bolt it to the block before mounting it to any of the engine mounts? or did you attach the tranny to one of the mounts first or something like that. I guess if you could just explain almost every little step you took it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for the help
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

the only mount i had hooked up was the passenger side motor mount. the motor was supported by my jack. the tranny had no mounts connected when i put the tranny on.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:23 PM
EvoM Guru

if your clutch alignment tool mated to the splines on your clutch disc, then there shouldn't be any problems with the input shaft aligning right. you can try what sjl6102 said and fill the clutch line up with fluid and have someone step on the pedal as you try and drive that sucker back in, or you can start from square one again.

i knew someone that got the wrong alignment tool with his clutch so we had to borrow a universal alignment tool to get the job done. if it's not because of something in the engine bay blocking the tranny, double check to make sure your alignment tool is the same size as your input shaft with the same number of splines and everything. if your alignment tool does not match your input shaft, then your input shaft will def not go into your clutch and the guy behind the counter at the shop just gave you the wrong clutch. when bolting the pressure plate on, screw in each bolt a little at a time in a star pattern going to the bolt opposite next until you've got them torqued to spec.

other than that, there's nothing special about anything else. and make sure that the tool that grips the flywheel is taken off. one time it was right in front of my face on the flywheel and my friend was pointing at it and i still took me a while to see it. call me retarded.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:35 AM

the alignment tool i used was a universal metric one so i don't think there should be any problem with that. Last night had had the tranny and block aligned to what looked to be perfect position but i just couldn't get the tranny to move the 1/2" closer to the block that i needed. should i have tried to start bolting it to the block to try and pull the tranny towards the engine?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:34 AM

well, the tranny is out again the clutch and pressure plate are off and i am about to start all over. hopefully everything will go right this time but i know that if it doesn't i will be back for more help.