Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

IM install gone really really wrong

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2005, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
IM install gone really really wrong

Ok here's the story, I got a RRM bored intaked manifold off of a member on here. All seemed fine, no dents, no dings, and only one pipe slightly bent (not a big deal at all). Yesterday I decided to install the manifold after having it sit around for a month or so. Everything seemed to go fine, all the bolts came off cleanly, all the hoses came off and went back right (I think) and I got the sucker in after about 4 hours of work. Well I start my car and it seems fine, the RPMs obviously shoot up because of the learning ECU but apart from that no problem. I take the car for a drive and it has noticeably better throttle response.
On the way back to my buddy's garage, the car dies, complete shut down while its moving. Well after getting it stopped my stomach sinks. I pop the hood and check the connections, they all seemed fine. My buddies show up after going into town to find my car dead in the driveway. Well we get it started again, but only when you have the throttle floored. We turn it off thinking it was the idle screw. After adjusting that, nothing, the car simply will not start up. To top it off I get the "charging system problem" icon on the dash. The weird thing is there is no CEL or anything, the car just won't start, it tries it's damndest, but no dice.
Today I decided to try again, so I called my sister and her boyfriend. His brother is a mechanic and he himself has plenty of experience with problematic engines (he's hydrolocked one already). So he shows up and we think that maybe the car is hydrolocked so we check the plugs and they're fine. Next we think fuel problem, but everything seemed fine again. We started to think that the manifold I got was crap so I put the stock one back, and the car still won't start. Tomorrow I'm calling my dealership and getting them to tow it to them for expection.
Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be?
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude... that's crazy! I just installed my used 4g93 Intake Mani like yesterday and have been driving on it for about 500 miles now. My car too died while on a roll a few times, specifically when I was down shifting on turns. Now the car idles rough at times but hasn't stalled on a roll. I think the ECU is still learning on mine though.

Try disconecting the battery and go back and make sure all your vaccum hoses are hooked up and that you have secured all of the sensors. Be sure to hook up that Maf sensor.

Jotun, who helped me install my 4g93 intake mani, dropped a bolt down his engine while installing his own intake mani not too long ago and fubared his engine. I hope that didn't happen to you.

Best of luck...

Fox
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I'm 100% sure I didn't drop a bolt anywhere, all we're accounted for in both the install and the uninstall. My car died when I hit the brakes, now it simply won't start up, even with the stock manifold in. Everything is 100% stock, maybe I'm just really really unlucky.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

u adjusted the biss? turn the biss screw all the way out and reset your computer, and if it dont start then, u got a problem.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

I adjusted the screw on top of the throttle body, just as you do when the idle is too high/low.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, thats it. im saying that if it is turned in too far when the computer is reset the car will do just what yours did. i am suggestin u go disconnect the battery, turn the screw ALL the way out, reconnect battery, and see if it starts.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
since the IM is a non-mechanical mod (ie, nothing moves, its just a large hollow cylinder) i'm betting a hose or wire was hooked up wrong and caused some damange. It would be like strapping on a header and then the car dying, obviously it isn't the header causing the issue, but something was overlooked during the install process. See what I'm saying?

Hope you get it all taken care of bud. I am curious about the bent pipe you mentioned. Got a pic? Was it damaged during shipping? the box was packed pretty way AFAIK, so that shouldn't have happened. Was the powder coat chipped?
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

The pipe which attaches to the fuel pressure regulator was slightly bent, but nothing serious. I'm hoping its just a wire or something, otherwise it's going to be very costly.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

I also did not tighten the screw, I turned it out quite substantially since I thought maybe the car wasn't getting enough air at idle.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

make sure you double check the hoses.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Can somebody possibly take a quick pic of the hoses for me? That way I can double check them all.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Can somebody possibly take a quick pic of the hoses for me? That way I can double check them all.
It's got to be the hoses man... I'd take a pic but all my hoses are different now with the 4g93 mani on my car.

Fox
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah maybe, its just weird that it ran, stopped and never started again. The hoses didn't seem that difficult either, since they're really only long enough to go to the places they're meant to. Hopefully the dealership can figure it out, I'll just play dumb, cause as fun as paying out the *** would be....
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

When I installed my 4g93 IM, I neglected to tighten down my TB properly, which caused some very strange leakage/stalling.. I guess if you think you have your hoses and wires right, go back and doublecheck all the bolts you touched.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I'm fairly confident its not a simple air leak since the car doesn't even start, it try real hard, but it just quits part way through.

Quick Reply: IM install gone really really wrong