Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

put..put.. CEL again

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
put..put.. CEL again

ok so i posted earlier saying my car has been putting acouple of you guys said i was shifting too early well a day later my CEL came on.. went to dealer said it was a car start miss fire {went fast with a cold engine (B/S) they cleaned my spark plugs and i left) well now my car is still putting in all gears no matter how many RPM's it almost feels like its gonna stall. so to might in 5th gear it almsot did stall my CEL came on i have 2 go to the dealer again tues morning. i had less problems with my 1989 celica. this i about my 6th time to the dealer.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if you don't feel like going tot he dealer just to turn the CEL off, you can disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, just a thought.

did you mess with your MAS any?
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

everything on my car performance wise is stock just an upgrade stereo. and no offense but y the hell would i turn it off it means somethin is wrong with my car.. i think i would like to fix that.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

ok, like i said, it was just a suggestion. i'll just drop the subject thx!
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

I agree Josh. you may have a bad coil or ignition wire. maybe even a bad injector. if the tech just cleared the code and sent it on its way he is a hack. when you go in tell them you want their best tech not he guy that just cleared the code and fired it out the door N.P.F. (no problem found)

edit: 6 th trip! look for a new dealer, all dealers honor factory warrenty

15 months and not a problem with mine ( that I didnt create)

Last edited by andenbre; Mar 23, 2003 at 10:36 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

*sniff* *sniff* i smell a lemon.....

u might want to argue with ur dealer if ur car is not that old.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

I had the same problem with my Mazda 626 recently (which prompted me to replace it with a Lancer since it's getting old). Anyway, that's a 1991 car with 183,000 miles, so I put off fixing it until yesterday when it's getting nicer out here in the northeast. Fix was incredibly simple though - the connector to the MAS was loose.

If it's puttering, you can almost bet the ECU just isn't getting the right info from the MAS or the O2 sensor and is overcomensating the fuel mixture based on bad data. In my Mazda's case, it sounded a lot like yours too, because it started off only sometimes, then got more serious and eventually became completely undriveable in about a weeks time. Check those connections out and/or ask the Mitsu dealer to check those connections out. I wouldn't be surprised if its as simple as that.
-N
Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

ok thanks yeah listen to this i got new tires put on and firestone (dumbasses) put on 1 tire too big. i didnt see this at first and i was at mitsu and asked them to check it. well they said "o its a blown strut" they put a new strut and saw it was still like that then they figured out the tire thing. what kind of mechanics are they really i hate mitsu. at least newark mitsu
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by lancer02Josh
ok thanks yeah listen to this i got new tires put on and firestone (dumbasses) put on 1 tire too big. i didnt see this at first and i was at mitsu and asked them to check it. well they said "o its a blown strut" they put a new strut and saw it was still like that then they figured out the tire thing. what kind of mechanics are they really i hate mitsu. at least newark mitsu
I wouldn't blame the Mitsu mechanics. I'd think that if a car came to me with one tir too big like that, I would probably not notice it outright either. That's gotta be one of those things you almost never see. Besides, maybe if you'd told them the problem started when you got new tires, it would have been easier to see, but who really checks to see that all tires are the same size when looking for a suspension problem?
-N
Old Mar 25, 2003, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

ok well i went to mitsu 2day on i had carbon traces on my coils so they replaced the 1 &2 coils and spark plugs. how did i get carbon on my coils?????