Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Bought a K&N Typhoon short ram, Low idol/ oil light

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a K&N Typhoon short ram, Low idol/ oil light

Hey everyone, I just bought a K&N Typhoon short ram intake, I live in wisconsin, and My stock airbox induction was cracked, so i boght this. Now when i was installing it, theyre was a hose.. from the the end of the piping, im almost 99% sure it was the OIL breather right? Im thinking this may be my problem, well thats where i hooked it up, before i just had some like apc oil breather "filter" like a little 1, but i took taht off and just put this rubber hose on it, perfect fit, seems like it should be there. Anyways... when im driving everything is fine, but when i go into neutral like 10mph and below of course, and when im just starting to stop my car will go down to 400 rpms, and like the check oil light will like flash on and off, and after a second they will go up too 500-600 and light will flicker. Any help? I wonder what it could be.. when i had the stock thing on, it would do the same thing but not as much, every time i stop it like comes on and my car has sorta a harsh idol because its so low. Any tips!?? need some help
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

ya check your oil
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

You think time for an oil change? when i bought at around 50300 something, it has around 53000-54000... I think.. in that range... Any reccomendations on oil? sythetic... or...
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Walkingchaos
ya check your oil
I have just realized, this statement was very blunt

Old Jan 6, 2007, 06:51 PM

You should most likely change your oil everytime you buy a used car. You don't know when the last oil change was. A used car dealer can tell you whatever they want to. You should always do a complete tune up everytime you buy a used car. The oil change will hopfully fix your problem. Go ahead and do plugs and wires while your at it. You've got a new filter so don't worry about that. Also, I would use synthetic. Yeah, it is more money, but seriously its better for your engine, last longer than regular, and you'll even get a little bit better gas milage.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Hows 10w-30, and what about a K&N oil filter. What synthetic oil do you use.. mobile One?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 08:29 PM

I used quaker state just because it was all my local wal-mart had at the time. I choose 5w-30 because its getting cooler whether. And as for the KandN oil filter, I've been told that the KandN is real good IF you need it. If you where running some kind of high pressure oiling system then you would likely benifit from it. Since your not, fram will be just fine. Fram oil filters are pretty good for what they cost.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

I usually use Rotella T and also about half a bottle of Lucas oil additive. I have the exact same SRI and i have had no problems. Although now that you say it my car does sometimes go into lower idle when i stop at a stoplight but its more like 600-700 RPM and it jumps right back up.