Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

IMPORTANT - 2008/2009 Lancer window tint problem

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2007, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure your window guides are clean...there may have been dirt or something that got in and thats why it is marking the window. You can try some kind of silicone based liguid like tire shine or black magic dash protectant. Just put a few drops on the window and put them up and down a coupld of times. The liquid will smear but you can just wipe that off.
Old May 6, 2007, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Seems i spoke to soon. After cleaning the car this weekend i noticed more scratches in the tint. They are finer and less noticeable but still present. I be showing them to the dealer next week.
Old May 9, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Hey guys,
First post here... I bought an 08 black gts fully loaded about 2 weeks ago, and had the windows tinted. I have scratches in mine as well. This is due to the fact that the lancer has a hard rubber wiper on the inside, and does not have a liner. He also told me that a lot of the newer vehicles are having this issue. My tint guy said that moleskin would work to line the interior wiper to prevent scratching. The website I found is http://www.tintprotector.com/ . And I think I'll give it a try... I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Bradley_J; May 9, 2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old May 9, 2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bradley_J
Hey guys,
First post here... I bought an 08 black gts fully loaded about 2 weeks ago, and had the windows tinted. I have scratches in mine as well. This is due to the fact that the lancer has a hard rubber wiper on the inside, and does not have a liner. He also told me that a lot of the newer vehicles are having this issue. My tint guy said that moleskin would work to line the interior wiper to prevent scratching. The website I found is http://www.tintprotector.com/ . And I think I'll give it a try... I'll keep you posted.

It seems like a good product...I just emailed them to see if they are coming out with a kit for the 2008 Lancer. Living in Florida, tint is a MUST have.
Old May 9, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Tint Protector is developing a kit for the 08 Lancer.

If you know how to gain access to the inner weather-strip you can buy they’re Universal kit.

Their Moleskin Felt is patent pending and is the ONLY one on the market that will last over time and not peel after a month from the heat.

Don't put generic moleskin on your weather-strips. Trust me.

www.tintprotector.com
Old May 10, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

I just put an order in yesterday for the universal... they told my that there would be plenty of product for my car. When I install it, I will be sure to to a write up with pics.
Old May 10, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bradley_J
Hey guys,
Thanks for the info. I'll be picking up some for mine as well.
Old May 11, 2007, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

While you can get moleskin from Tintprotector check at a reputable tint shop. I called mine and they said that Mercedes and Acura TL's have the same hard rubber on the inside of the window. He said it is no big deal and he has felt that he applies in such cases. It is only an extra $20 to do the inside of the windows and is garaunteed not to scratch.
Old May 11, 2007, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

talked to another tint shop that said it has been a problem on mercedes since '96. He pulls the door panel off and sands the rubber down with 400 grit sand paper. Not sure which is a better technique, however i;m not to thrilled about having all door panels pulled off just to sand some rubber.
Old May 11, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wicked white14
talked to another tint shop that said it has been a problem on mercedes since '96. He pulls the door panel off and sands the rubber down with 400 grit sand paper. Not sure which is a better technique, however i;m not to thrilled about having all door panels pulled off just to sand some rubber.
Sounds like the hard way of doing it, but an easy way to charge some extra labor.
Old May 14, 2007, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Well I just got my moleskin in the mail today, and must say that it seems to be a very high-quality product. I will not have time to install it today, but will plan on it tomorrow morning, and I will be sure to snap some pics as I'm doin it for a write-up. Stay tuned!
Old May 14, 2007, 03:26 PM

Hope it turns out well, even though i don have a car right now its going to suck if the tint is going to scratch when i do get it.
Old May 15, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Well guys, I posted my install on the install/how-to section... Check it out!!!
Old May 17, 2007, 05:59 PM

Tinting 08 Lancer

Hey - I also have had the same problem with my tint... I waited four days before opening the windows and both fronts are scratched... I am actually taking it to my tint guy tomorrow to look at. I'll kep you posted.
Old May 17, 2007, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Tint Protector now has an Anti-Scratch kit for the 08 Lancer!

Wooo hoooo!

http://www.tintprotector.com/mitsubishi/

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT - 2008/2009 Lancer window tint problem