Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

IMPORTANT - 2008/2009 Lancer window tint problem

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2007, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by show time
I got the same lines on two front windows it looks like something is dragging down inside the door and I was told to wait 3 days before rolling window down
i've got some vertical scratches in my tint about half an inch wide that looks like it was caused by something stuck in the door that the window rubbed against while going up and down. Hasn't gotten any worse though so i haven't worried about it..
Old May 18, 2007, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

I heard that the windows on the Lancer GTS had the hard rubber molding. That no matter what happens it causes streaks in the window when you roll it up and down. hmmmmm. This is not the first time I have heard of this. Some people have been going to www.tintprotector.com to get some moleskin or something to make sure that the tint don't get all scratched up. It's the hard rubber on the window that causes it. While you look at other cars, the rubber is real soft and flexible. But there are a few other cars that have the same issue. Like one of the Mercedes lines and Audi lineups. Don't quote me on that.
Thanks for letting me participate.
Old May 18, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

I heard that the windows on the Lancer GTS had the hard rubber molding. That no matter what happens it causes streaks in the window when you roll it up and down. hmmmmm. This is not the first time I have heard of this. Some people have been going to www.tintprotector.com to get some moleskin or something to make sure that the tint don't get all scratched up. It's the hard rubber on the window that causes it. While you look at other cars, the rubber is real soft and flexible. But there are a few other cars that have the same issue. Like one of the Mercedes lines and Audi lineups. Don't quote me on that.
Thanks for letting me participate.
Old May 18, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Hey chino - someone's already come up with a fix, and a true kit is under development and should be released soon. Check out the writeup here.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=270955
Old May 18, 2007, 12:47 PM

I saw my tint guy today.. just as we suspected... need to add felts... He's going to re-do all four of my doors... I am a bit concerned about him removing the panels thought!?

Anyone have any comments on this?
Old May 24, 2007, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

i just ordered some felt from tint protector for my wifes gts. hopefully since its a specific kit it wont be a pain to install.
Old May 24, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

You guys can check out my sticky in the how-to section.... The pics aren't that great, but the door panels do not need to be remove completely. It took me about 90 mins for the entire car.
Old May 29, 2007, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

just finished installing the felt. it took me about an hour to install all four windows. shipping from tint protector to my house only took 2 days.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

i took my car back to the dealer, as stated before felt would probably have to be added. the service center told me that they would talk with mitsu and find a fix and let me know before they r2 the tint.

how does it work evo150? scratches come back?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Hey chino - someone's already come up with a fix, and a true kit is under development and should be released soon. Check out the writeup here.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=270955
Thank you Hawkeye. I appreciate that. i just got my windows tinted today and i am waiting for my waiting period to see what happens..

After my wait time is over, i will post my results. If there is any problems with the tint, i am taking it str8 to the dealer. i am not even going to ask my tint guy. Since we all know what the problem is, i am going to see if I can hold responsible for that hard rubber issue. And I will make them pay for the moleskin installation if it comes to that.

To me, that's faulty hardware. And dealerships know that people are going to tint the windows, so i will be calling that on them.

Peace
Old Jun 4, 2007, 02:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chino ali
To me, that's faulty hardware. And dealerships know that people are going to tint the windows, so i will be calling that on them.
I think it'd be great if you were right, but I cannot imagine any dealership going "yes, we should have planned on your modifying your car! We'll change it to fit your modification right away!" In the end, it is YOUR responsibility to deal with the consequences of your modification. If you need moleskin to get window tint, that's YOUR responsibility. Not 's.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ViperF16
i took my car back to the dealer, as stated before felt would probably have to be added. the service center told me that they would talk with mitsu and find a fix and let me know before they r2 the tint.

how does it work evo150? scratches come back?
works great, not scratches in the tint.. when i talked to the guy who tinted it about the felt he said if you use eagle 20/20 or similar window cleaner safe for tint, spray it on the window, roll the window up and down a couple of times and the cleaner actually lubricates the weather stripping and you shouldnt need the felt. with that said i wouldnt take the chance of having to get my window retinted when the felt is so cheap and the install is so easy.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
I think it'd be great if you were right, but I cannot imagine any dealership going "yes, we should have planned on your modifying your car! We'll change it to fit your modification right away!" In the end, it is YOUR responsibility to deal with the consequences of your modification. If you need moleskin to get window tint, that's YOUR responsibility. Not 's.
Well, thats pretty general way of saying it. It just window tint. Dealerships do window tint. Man, they know that window tint of all things is so common; why would you consider it a modification? That doesn't affect ANY warranty. It could just be faulty because its part of the norm. Like "common sense" in the Car Engineering and Design Department. I am not comparing a 1st generation playstation without the fan that people bought. It works , but something is wrong with it. And the salesgroups will eventually be aware of it. And if they make you pay for it, obivously they are already aware of it and yet they are doing it for monetary gain. Hence the reason: why you or others would hesitate buying a first product off the line in the first place.
Damn str8 it's my resposibility. Damn str8 i should have been fast enough to ask THEM( ) to tint my whip. So that way it will be caught before it is done. That's why they don't tell you everything in a car from any brand. Keeps the amount of responsibility out of they hands. And the rest they can charge you for it.
Get what I am saying?
I don't know jack about making my whip into a super S-Class performance machine, i just know the basics on what to do. But I do understand econmical marketing and behavior.
But window tint? That's a lil comfort that can be fixed by doing it right in the first place. Cause that is part of the norm.

Alot of written space over a small subject, but this applies to all applications in whomever's perspective.

But, if my whip get stratched all to hell, I will take it out on 's ***.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:59 PM

I don't know about Mitsu picking up the tab, but whoever installs your tint sure as hell better! The guy who did mine looked at the scracthes, thought for a second then rolled down the window and easily looked at the rubber... Hence, anyone who knows what they are doing should have caught this the first time!
Old Jun 4, 2007, 05:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. I'm just going to touch on a couple things.

Originally Posted by chino ali
It just window tint. Dealerships do window tint. Man, they know that window tint of all things is so common; why would you consider it a modification?
Did the car come stock with the window tint? No, it didn't. So you are modifying the car by adding the tint. By the nature of the English language, that would make tint a modification.

Otherwise, you just go on about how it's 's responsibility to plan on your wanting tint. Why? How does that make sense to you?

I'm not saying that you're doing an engine swap or turning your Lancer into an S-Class. I'm just saying that when you change the car from the way it came, you can't expect them to be planning on that.

Here's an example - Subaru owners frequently swap turbo motors into their N/A car. This involves swapping the engine crossmember to a turbo version. Do you think it's Subaru's responsibility to say "OK, a lot of people swap these cars. We should put a notched crossmember in the RS so they can swap easier." ??? I don't think so.

If you buy a house, do they include a gift certificate to Home Depot because they plan on you repainting? No, they don't.

Tint is great. But if you want to change your car by adding it, then it is your responsibility to prepare for the changes that you are making.

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT - 2008/2009 Lancer window tint problem