Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2007, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electrical Problem

I am having a weird problem. I just installed an AVIC-N4, I ran some of the cables through the driver side kick panel. I now have an issue that when my left turnsignal is on, the brakes lights, on the driver side of the car dims as the turn signal turns on and brightens as it shuts off.

When I press the brake while the turn signal is on (still only on the left turnsignal) it acts like normal for a few blinks and then it all of a sudden blinks very very fast as if I had a buld out, when I depress the brake, its all gone.

When I put the car in reverse and hold the brake down, I get a very light glow coming from my left turn signal indicator on my dash.

Now for the specifics:
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Automatic
Alarm is a Viper 971xv

I really think I may have just bumped something and now it is shorting or something but I am not sure what or how I should go about trouble shooting this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if you could please maybe provide me with a list of wires (colors) that I should be looking for. thanks.

-Jusitn
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

well I just did some more looking and playing around. it appears to happen with the parking lights as well as the brakes (same lights though) so if I shut off the lights turn on my left turn signal, and step on the brake all is fine, but if I turn on my lights and repeat, I get the fast click turn indicator and the alternating turn signal/lights.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tweak3D
I just installed an AVIC-N4,
Disconnect it and see what happens.
If everything is good when the thing is not hooked up, then start connecting wires 1 by 1 and check your electrical system everytime you have a wire connected.

I know it's a pain in the @ss, but you need to narrow it down.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

found the problem, a ground was loose on my drivers side tail light causing it to ground out through my parking ights, tightened it up and all is good now. =)
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tweak3D
found the problem, a ground was loose on my drivers side tail light causing it to ground out through my parking ights, tightened it up and all is good now. =)
It's weird how you can play with your sound system wiring only to find out you have issues with a tail light

Glad you found the problem Tweak3D
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

well I ran the GPS antenna through the tail light boot but never though it could be a ground until someone on the12volt.com reccomended it. its all fixed now so I am happy to not have a tail like that looks like I am throwing a rave party.