Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Wierd "ticking" noise

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2007, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd "ticking" noise

I have an odd issue going on with my 2006 es. When it is first started and I put her into reverse and begin backing out, there is a very loud ticking noise. When I throw it into drive and it cycles through all the gears once, it seems to get quieter, however it's still occurring.

I popped the hood and it sounds like it's coming from the alternator or something else that the same belt is running. I've looked at some previous Mitsu cars in the past and noticed there is a slight ticking with many of the 4 cylinder vehicles, but this particular noise seems louder and more abnormal. I'm worried because I have installed an after market head unit and have ran amp power cable through the firewall. Last time I took my car into Mitsu for a completely unrelated issue they told me by doing that I "more than likely have voided the warranty" which is complete bull****.

Does anyone have an idea of what it could be or has anyone had the same or similar problem?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have this on my injectors.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:57 AM

When you say "first started", it is still cold when you put it into gear? Does it do it when the car is cold/warm or all the time?

Also, Auto or Man?

Aftermarket parts do not void your warranty unless they can be proven to have caused the problem. You have to love that law.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

In IL, I bet it's cold right now. It's probablt the usual DSM tick-tock from the lifters... maybe try heavier oil weight for the winter?
Old Dec 15, 2007, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

does the ticking get faster when you rev the engine? or is it consistent either at all rpms?
Old Dec 15, 2007, 07:06 AM

The heavy ticking only happens on a cold start, however, yes the constant ticking does get faster as the rpms increase.

Oh, it's automatic by the way.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

could be something simple..check your oil level..make sure your oil is full
Old Dec 15, 2007, 03:48 PM

^^Yes check your oil level.

Here is something to try to see if is coming from the top end. Use a long screwdriver to see if you can locate the tick (by putting it to your ear and the engine). If you can locate the loudest point where you hear it, we can give you a little better idea of what to look for. Since it changes with RPM it could be a number of things internal of external to the engine.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude, they all tick. It's completely normal and happens most at idle. Nothing's wrong and it's not hurting anything. They're just noisy motors.

Please DON'T put heavier oil in for the winter. Valvetrain noise is caused by low oil flow to the top end. Therefore, when it's cold and oil is more viscous, put LIGHTER oil if anything. 0w30 in cold climates is ideal.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mcgarvey
Dude, they all tick. It's completely normal and happens most at idle. Nothing's wrong and it's not hurting anything. They're just noisy motors.

Please DON'T put heavier oil in for the winter. Valvetrain noise is caused by low oil flow to the top end. Therefore, when it's cold and oil is more viscous, put LIGHTER oil if anything. 0w30 in cold climates is ideal.
but if its a noticeably loud tick there very well could be something wrong with it..my guess is he doesn't have enough oil in his engine..

check that and let us know
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:04 PM

Plenty of oil in the engine. The noise the engine makes is a separate issue I've found. It seems like this periodical, louder noise is coming from the alternator or something else on the same belt. There is no belt wear. Maybe it's a bearing in the alternator or something. I guess I'll just listen for it and see if it gets worse before deciding to take it to Mitsu.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

just take it and have it looked at..shouldn't cost you anything..

or if they do take it to some other shop that give free estimates and have them look at it

free estimates are a wonderful thing