Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Coil not triggering properly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil not triggering properly

Hello everyone,

I having a lot of trouble trying to figure out this problem and Im hoping that someone will be able to give me some new ideas. I just swapped the 4G94 engine from a 2003 Lancer ES to a 2002 Lancer ES. The engine was operating perfectly before the swap. Now the left coil ( the one closest to the timing belt.) is not firing at all. I checked the voltage going into the coil and its is reading 12V. The multimeter says the ground is good but the trigger wire is reading a constant 5-6 volts when referenced to ground. This constant voltage is causing the coil to stay on and violently overheating. I have already popped two other coils. The right coil is working fine and the trigger wire is reading .05V on that one with the power on but the engine off. The engine when running violently shakes since it is only working on two cylinders. Once in a while the left coil seems to start working as the engine starts to run steady like it should but then the coil drops out and it starts shaking and the coil starts overheating. When I first started the engine after the swap the left coil wasn't sparking so I switched the PCM and ECU ( green box in engine fuse compartment) and it was running fine for about 10 minutes and then started doing the shake. I checked the pin on the PCM for the coil's trigger and it was giving me 5-6V too. The computer is also not throwing any codes. So here I am out of ideas and hoping for some new ones.

Some other observations that I'm not sure apply:

There is a rapid solenoid clicking noise coming from the intake manifold once in a while when the car is sitting there with the electricity on.

The left coil will sit there and overheat when the engine is off but with the power on.

When I first put the engine in I accidentally reversed the Cam position sensor and left coil plugs. I tried starting it a couple times but soon realized my mistake a swapped them back.

PLEAS HELP IM OUT OF IDEAS!!!!!!

Edit: I did switch out both computers to try to get the car working when I had the coil and Crank Position Sensor plugs reversed. Is it possible that I ruined the coil driver circuit in both PCMs when I did this . The Crank sensor couldn't have gone bad from this because the right coil is working. So when the plug was reversed the the coil driver was receiving 5V pulses from the crank sensor. It is suspicious why the coil driver circuit is putting out 5V now. Any thoughts?

Last edited by dudemeister; Dec 22, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dudemeister

Edit: I did switch out both computers to try to get the car working when I had the coil and Crank Position Sensor plugs reversed. Is it possible that I ruined the coil driver circuit in both PCMs when I did this . The Crank sensor couldn't have gone bad from this because the right coil is working. So when the plug was reversed the the coil driver was receiving 5V pulses from the crank sensor. It is suspicious why the coil driver circuit is putting out 5V now. Any thoughts?
This sounds very likely to me, but I'm not sure.
Seems to match up cause with problem though.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
What is the resistance of that coil? Is it still within factory spec? How about the resistance of the crank sensor?

I know a few people have accidentally switched the coil harness plug and crank sensor plug in the past. I can't remember if it fried their ECUs or not. I know switching those harness connections is a big no-no.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just did the same thing to my lancer the other week, i am tring to figure out what all is wrong so far. i know the coil is good. the crank sensor is bad, the old one i took out was burnt and melted pretty bad. but when i changed it out it didnt fix the problem. i am going to take the timing cover back off cuz i really didnt look at the cover that well to see if i burnt the wires in the cover up. the other thing i can think of is that the cam sensor went out too. i havent rulled out the ECU being messed up but i hope its still fine. so if anyone knows what all went wrong, i would love to know!!