Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Engine "Bucking" Intermittent Drag Issue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine "Bucking" Intermittent Drag Issue

Recently (within 1000 miles) completed full engine swap on our 03 OZ. It's still a 2.0, we have an Injen cold air intake, headers, bypassed CO2 sensor. We have developed this intermittent engine drag thing, and it has gotten significantly worse within the last week. It feels like the engine is randomly being slightly choked or almost slowing down for like an instant, and then it restores to full power. It happens constantly, and is especially obvious when we are cruising, like maintaining the same even speed. (That could just be because when we are accelerating our vehicle is very loud because of our headers and modded exhaust, but maybe not.) This does NOT affect the RPMs. There is NO opposite effect- as in, it doesn't at any point feel like it's surging. This also completely stops happening if we hold the clutch in or shift into neutral (I mean while the car is moving of course). When the car is just idling (like sitting in the driveway in neautral chilling) it also doesn't happen at all whatsoever. This is leading me to consider that it may simply be the fuel line, fuel pressure, fuel injectors, fuelfuelfuel... But what else could it be? Has anyone specifically experienced engine drag (bucking/missing/skipping- I've seen a lot of terms thrown around), but SPECIFICALLY has anyone experienced it only when the car is in motion and NOT when the clutch is pushed down, etc? Also, this might be totally unrelated, but here goes: when backing up, if we don't come to a total complete stop BEFORE shifting into 1st to go forward again, we'll hear this loud sudden clunk/*****/pop when shifting into first and starting to roll forward. Only happens once, then silent. Kinda muted thumpy metallic, like something was being stuck or pushed and then was released and clunked back over into place or something. ...Related? As in, I have read that sometimes loose or worn drive axles can relate to the engine bucking thing, like perhaps "slippage" or whatever. Or CV joints. Could this weird noise thing be that? Def ask about any other symptoms that might help you help us figure this out! Like, IDK... we did just replace our ceramic brake pads, and they are ALREADY wearing unevenly so our braking is like very uneven feeling- like as if were repeatedly tapping the brakes quickly and lightly, and it slows down as we slow down. Could this be related? Sorry for such a long post!
Old Jul 7, 2011, 05:43 PM

Update: we replaced the wiring to the spark plugs. The dragging has MOSTLY stopped. But we still get the occasional "catch", especially when we are hearing that clunk type of noise. Wondering if this could be engine mounts or struts?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check your cat converter.
Lately, many of them seem to go on early Lancer models.

Just run open header for a few miles and you'll know right away if that's the problem.
A clogged cat leads to too much back pressure and will cause your engine to "sputter, buck, jerk, *insert whatever*" when you accelerate.

On a side note: Do us all a favor and break your posts down into paragraphs so it's easier to read.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:02 PM

Please further explain what you mean when you say you replaced the wires to the spark plugs. Are you saying you replaced the coils, or the actual bundle of wires from the TPS to the the tops of the coils?

I am currently trying to troubleshoot this same issue on my 04 Ralliart.
I am thinking of replacing the plugs and the coils, but the coils are $110/each.

Thanks.