Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Rattling noise from..then engine??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling noise from..the engine??

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this has been a problem before, but after the oil change for my lancer yesterday, when the car is in motion and I tend to shift gears at 4000 to 5000rpm, i hear a rattling noise as if the car was dragging itself to move..when i stp the car and put it to neutral or with my clutch down, there's no clicking sound when i rev it up to 5000rpm. Any ideas what can be wrong? I'm pretty sure I haven't heard the sound before, but just yesterday?..Not sure if i've describe the situation properly..but the point is that there's some "clicking' noise when the engine is running at 4000rpm or so..but only when teh car is on the road..doesnt matter what gear i shift to, once i reach that rpm, it just starts clicking...i turned off my stereo, air, and everything..same thing..thanks guys!

Last edited by citru5cyrus; Apr 12, 2004 at 08:07 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Moving to troubleshooting since you're asking for troubleshooting advice.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:54 AM

no problem. Thanks HobieKopek.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 01:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

thats your throw out bearing for your clutch...its under warrinty and they should replace it with no problems...this is a very popular problem with the lancers and I wouldnt be supprised if its becomes a recal soon. The bearing is undersized for what it should be
Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:28 AM

Hi Danno,

Thanks for the reply, so you think i shoudl go back to my dealership and ask them to check my clutch bearing? They will replace it with no charge right? Cuz yeh, it sounds like something's lose, but i'm not sure what..is it a serious problem?

Cuz like i've said, it only rattles (i hear the sound) when the car is in motion over 2000rpm.. but other than that, i can rev my engine all i want, but nothing happens..please reply. Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe the engine is knocking....low octane gas does that?
Old Apr 8, 2004, 02:19 PM

well, i haven't changed anything on teh car yet..it's still stock and i've been using 89 octane since I got the car in August..and its never happened before. It seems gone now, i tightened the alarm system mounted in front of the driver side, hopefully that's the problem. Thank you for your inputs guys!
Old Apr 12, 2004, 08:07 AM

My friend said it may be my springs and struts not aligned? Anyone wanna comment on this?
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:08 AM

I didn't want to start a new thread because I think I have the same problem. As soon as the needle reaches 3000 RPM - CLICKING. After that no - before that...well it builds a BIT from 2500+.. I soncerely HOPE it's this throw out bearing and not something wrong with the engine! Does this sound probable? (do my symptoms describe a problem with the throw out bearing)?
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

I have a rattling problem as well, but it's when I'm idling, with the clutch out. It doesn't happen right away, the car has to be warmed up. It also is a lot louder when my cooling fan kicks on.

Any ideas before I call the dealership?

I'll drive around a bit with everything off in the car and see if I get the rattling at higher RPMs like you guys have stated to see if my throw-out bearing is bad. I'll also try and get a look under the car and see if I can find the general area the rattle is coming from.

Last edited by livelyjay; Sep 14, 2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:12 AM

When this happined to my old car it was the heatsheild. THEN when the same thing happined again it was something that covered the oil pan and I just tightened it
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:19 AM

Bump - I wanted to ad that I hope to hell it has nothing to do with when they put the wrong oil filter on and I drive for a few seconds w. no oil.....
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by OZLancer
Bump - I wanted to ad that I hope to hell it has nothing to do with when they put the wrong oil filter on and I drive for a few seconds w. no oil.....

Hehe, I got a brand new engine for my Jeep when an oil change place did that!

On the page of the original post, I have been having the same problems although mine started at around 2000 miles and I have had my car in to Tustin Mitsubishi several times and each time they said it was normal. My car is at another Mits dealership right now and I called earlier to get a status. They told me that they were waiting for word from Mitsubishi on the warranty approval. The guy told me they are trying to determine if this is a normal thing or if its repairable under the warranty. Car now has 32000 miles on it, has a new clutch, always grinds when accelerating from a stop in forward OR reverse, and makes a very loud rattling noise wen the AC is on and your foot is off the clutch, but as soon as you put your foot on the clutch the sound dissappears.