Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Issues...Possible bad Throw out bearing?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2003, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch Issues...Possible bad Throw out bearing?

Hey Guys...

I just picked up a Apex Silver EVO on Monday night with 12 miles on the clock. Absolutely love it so far...

I noticed yesterday when I passed the 300 mile mark, A rattling/whining noise seems to have developed in the transmission area. I can only really hear it, doesnt matter what gear, when I'm decellerating between 3500 and 2500 rpm. It just sounds like a bad bearing in the clutch.

I had an old mustang 5.0 once and it made the same exact sound. I never got it fixed before I sold it, but I drove around with the noise for years.

Also..at idle....if I roll up all the windows, shut the stereo off and leave the car idling in neutral. I can also hear whats sounds like a bearing whining a bit when the clutch is let out. I push the clutch in...and it goes away.

Again, my old mustang did the same thing.

I'm assuming its the throw out bearing possibly.

Either way....I'll be taking it back in after I hit the engine break in point and get it fixed.

Just wanted to share my experience so far.

I absolutely still LOVE this car! The performance is amazing!

Although I'm a little dissapointed in the quality control, but...hey #hit happens. Even Honda's and Toyota's have their issues...

Take care All,

spyderturbo
Old May 15, 2003, 09:09 AM

hmmmm.... A throw-out bearing would do the exact opposite. You would hear noise whith the clutch depressed not when its engaged. Maybe it's the pilot bearing/bushing. Well whatever it is I'm sure mitsu will fix you up.
Old May 15, 2003, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

What you are describing is the same as the people who are having transmission issues. Look at the transmission failure thread and you will see the same problem. Oh, my evo is doing the same thing. It seems to also get louder with more miles and when the transmission is heated up.
Old May 16, 2003, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you are hearing is nothing to worry about. It is what we call Neutral gear rattle. When the car is sitting still and in neutral the input shaft spins all gears up to speed but since you haven't selected a gear yet they are free to move back and fourth. Not much movement but enough to where you may hear some rattle noises coming from the tranny. When you depress the clutch pedal the noise stops cause the gears stop moving. Now if you had the same noise when the clutch was pushed in or a gear selected than you would have a bearing problem. Eighter the input or output shaft most likely. Just my two cents
Old May 16, 2003, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

take it back immediately and raise hell - they will fix it in a hurry with no complaints. they do read these forums you know, and they know people are getting pissed with clutch/transmission/drivetrain failures.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I was experiencing the same problem with the evo I just bought.. I had to bring it back because what i purchased was the floor model and it had some dings and scratches that needed to be taken care of. But i notified them of that rattling whining noise.. what the service tech said was it was the turbo BOV? .. what do you folks have to say about that... i know what a bov sounds like and that aint it .. Also having problems with the brakes .. they tend to squeek under light braking conditions.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Do a search!
Old Jul 25, 2003, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by johnjonfenomeno
I was experiencing the same problem with the evo I just bought.. I had to bring it back because what i purchased was the floor model and it had some dings and scratches that needed to be taken care of. But i notified them of that rattling whining noise.. what the service tech said was it was the turbo BOV? .. what do you folks have to say about that... i know what a bov sounds like and that aint it .. Also having problems with the brakes .. they tend to squeek under light braking conditions.
those are racing pads and racing brakes. totally normal. mine do it too. i had an 2001 eclipse GT, no squeaking on stock stuff, stuck a set of metallic pads and a better made rotor, they squeaked. totally normal.