Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

What is this buzzing sound when I shift from Park? Even when car is off.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this buzzing sound when I shift from Park? Even when car is off.

So car is off (so you can hear it easier), and key is in the on position (where dash lights light up). I cant pinpoint the sound source but it sounds like its coming from the engine?

Here is the video, it lasts a few seconds then stops as seen in the video, I do it twice. Park to Reverse, then back to Park then to Reverse. Two times total.

What is that?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 02:01 PM

So I took it to AAMCO and they said its a solenoid inside the transmission; however without taking the thing apart and testing each one they cant tell which it is. They quoted $360 for labor + whatever the parts cost. Im in Southern California, do those prices sound right?

Does that sound right?

Also since it seems like it may be hard pinpointing the problematic solenoid, would it be better for me to keep driving until there is a code (check engine light?). Because right now there is none. Does 2003 Lancer have a sensor for this? What can happen if Solenoid dies?Does 2003 Lancer have "Limp" mode? Can it damage stuff or would it just at worst make it so I cant shift so I have to tow but not cause any actual damage?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 05:46 AM

my 04 lancer es has been doing that for years and nothing has happened still so either just ignore it or just ignore it as I do it's not hurting nothing
Old Aug 6, 2019, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Russell
my 04 lancer es has been doing that for years and nothing has happened still so either just ignore it or just ignore it as I do it's not hurting nothing
Yea, been over 2 years now. It does shift slow sometimes, which could be related if its a solenoid.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:24 PM

Ya I noticed going from 3 Ed to 4 th it won't shift sometimes tell it hits 6k rpm to trick it to shift when you want just let off the gas a tinny bit then gas it more than you initially were. It is like it thinks your driving a stick and it plays along as if u were using a clutch haha.but for reals it works. I'm taking mine to get a full evaluation tomorrow so I'll be able to tell you the true verdict I'm expecting a ecu ecm tcm computer related problem to be the culprit of all the randome bs that has been happening
Old Aug 8, 2019, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Russell
Ya I noticed going from 3 Ed to 4 th it won't shift sometimes tell it hits 6k rpm to trick it to shift when you want just let off the gas a tinny bit then gas it more than you initially were. It is like it thinks your driving a stick and it plays along as if u were using a clutch haha.but for reals it works. I'm taking mine to get a full evaluation tomorrow so I'll be able to tell you the true verdict I'm expecting a ecu ecm tcm computer related problem to be the culprit of all the randome bs that has been happening
Hmm... maybe our issues are a bit different.. mine always shifts, just sometimes it takes a second. Never completely failed to shift. i got 104k miles on mine.. issue started around 80k?