Temperature sensor not working - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Temperature sensor not working

Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:10 PM
Temperature sensor not working

I'm new here. Just trying to use some of your guys knowledge to help myself and my dad out!

I got some front end work body and mechanical done on my 2012 Lancer ES in October after a front end collision. Since then, my ambient temperature sensor hasn't been working. I didn't say anything because my friends shop did the work for a great price, the body damage that was repaired looked better than before. I've just kind of sat on it until now.
Since I got my car back from the shop, there has just been a blank temperature reading. Now that winter is in full force in Canada, I've been having some glitches. The car is reading the outside temperature as -40C, so I get the "road may be icy" alert on my dash. However the temperature reading isn't constant, and it basically beeps at me every 15-60 seconds to warn me. INCREDIBLY annoying. It's only done this 2-3 days in the last few months, typically during a really windy/snowy storm. I commute to work and the beeping makes me want to drive into a logging truck. The rest of the time the sensor isn't picking up anything, which also annoys me.

My dad just unplugged the sensor, cleaned it and replugged it in, before we do anymore work to make sure my buddy had finished the job correctly.
Looks like that wasn't the issue and the actual sensor itself is damaged. The dealership has said they will order the part for around 70$, but I've had really bad luck dealing with them and my dad builds cars as a hobby. I know we can do it a lot cheaper.

Is there anything we could be missing before I replace the sensor? I'm also scared I'm going to order the wrong part, the ******* at the dealership wouldn't write it down for me.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member
Nope. Nothing more complicated than that. Change the sensor.