Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2003 OZ Rally burning up coil packs

Old May 25, 2018, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 OZ Rally burning up coil packs

Started it up the other day, to move it out of the driveway and she was running really rough. I popped the hood to check for vermin, or maybe an untied shoe lace that I might be able to fix, and the number 1 coil pack popped like a firecracker and white smoke started oozing out. So I killed the engine, let the coil pack cool down and pulled it off. The plug well had about half an inch of oil in it... Assuming I had found my problem I bought a valve cover gasket kit with plug seals, 2 new coil packs and 4 new NGK plugs. everything plugged back in and started her up. within a minute the new coil pack popped and smoked as well. I am at a loss. I can't see anywhere where the wiring harness has any damage (rodents are a thing out here) and it was running fine last week. Any ideas on what could be causing the coil packs to pop and burn?
Old May 28, 2018, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
check plugs themselves ? did u drain/remove oil from tubes ?, did you check that you did install plug wires in right oorder ? had to ask
Old May 29, 2018, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OZR_Lancer
check plugs themselves ? did u drain/remove oil from tubes ?, did you check that you did install plug wires in right oorder ? had to ask
Replaced the plugs, removed the oil from the tubes before pulling the plugs, absolutely installed plug wires in the correct order also. And considering the original coil pack popped and smoked before I did any additional work, I am thinking it is not related to anything I have done. Thanks for the reply!