Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Shocking

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2002, 04:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shocking

I have a lancer OZ and i get a small shock when i close my door.Anyone else get this???Maybe its just that i'm new with new cars,my last one was a 66 chevelle malibu so you see that the Lancer is a full 180 from what im used to but i'm still in love with it.any help would help...even if you just say that i am crazy
Old Sep 13, 2002, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

static electricity I wil be nice and say no more
Old Sep 13, 2002, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

I figured it was something simple like that...Guess i have to join the rest of the car-world and get used to newer cars
Old Sep 13, 2002, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

there's a way to get rid of it....you know those things that you sometimes see dragging on the rear bumper of some cars? like a strip? well that strip actually grounds your car and dissapates static electricity, which equals no more shockage

as for where you get them, i have no clue.
Old Sep 13, 2002, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

I have had this problem since I got my car back in November. I have two theories. One being the fabric on the seats. I think moving around in them builds up the static elec. and when you touch the door it the shock is created. My other theory involves a bit more technology. I work at the Goodyear tech center in Akron as an intern during summers so thats where Im speaking from.

Tires are black because of the addition of carbon balck to the rubber compound, not because of the color of the actual rubber. Well in the 80's Michelin (sp?) started using silica (sand, sorta) in their tire compounds. The advantage with this is the tire has crazy style wet grip. The problem is the tires would no longer disipate static charge from the car, because of the absense of carbon black. Maybe those Yokohama tires on the Lancer have a high silica content, which cause the car to carry a larger charge, which would cause the shock. For anyone still interested, Im going to bable more about the silica tire in the next paragraph.

Well a car that has a huge static charge built up would be very bad. (think about fueling your car at the gas station, nozzle goes in the tank and spark...) Well Michelin could not get around this back in the 80's. They were trying to get OEM fitment on Hondas, and Honda knew that in early testing with the silica tires that there were static elec. problems. Basically Honda wouldnt except the tires until the problem was solved. Well all cars carry some type of static charge, except one. (at the time at least) Mercedes. SO in Michelins infinite wisdom, they decide to ask how Mercedes Benz does it, so they could tell Honda so in turn Michelin could sell tires to Honda. One guess as too what Mercedes told Michelin.

Now silica based tires are quite common. One company that has alot of tires lines with silica is Yokohama. Besides the grounding prob with the static, silica is a not a bad compound agent. The only major problem is it rips the crap out of tire molds. (read again, sand.)

Theres my newest rant, sorry guys.........damn engineers...

Old Sep 13, 2002, 05:13 AM

holy crap! thats somethin i DIDN't KNOW!
Old Sep 13, 2002, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

all I can contribute is I have the good years, and I don't get shocked.
Old Sep 13, 2002, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

come on

come on even old car are subject to static my other car is a 67 vw beetle not to much olde than your chevl withch you better have a good story why you got ride of it Best ET to date for the 67 is 13.98@98 cant remember the 60 foot and yes I have a lancer 02 silver es ground control kit home made stess bar konig divas and kumos
Old Sep 13, 2002, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

I also had the static problem, but it went away after a couple of months. My buddy's WRX did the same thing. Give the fabric some time to settle in and you should be Okay.

If it takes more than 3 months, I'd go to the dealer just to be a *****.

-Goon-Kun
Old Sep 13, 2002, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Well Shaggy...to make a long story short lets just say that when a large 6 point buck hits your car at 80mph...massave damage happens...long live Katrina...and yes...need less to say...That car killer buck is now stuffed and used as a dartbord in my garage
Old Sep 13, 2002, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

i work for radio shack...and dere is a static discharger thing for it...its down t0 99 cents...its discontinued...and it works...da stock number is 63.1111
Old Sep 14, 2002, 03:21 AM
Evolving Member

you have a good point

ya I see why you had to get a new car and take a few shots at the furry F er for me not a way for a good car to go. hopeful you have the things *** stuffed so you can kick it in the nuts for what it did to you car
Old Sep 14, 2002, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

yep same thing for me happened the first few months and i didnt even notice it was gone until u mentioned it
Old Sep 14, 2002, 09:02 AM

i have goodyears i get shocked on every now and then its is probly the fabrick of the seats or the floor mats
Old Sep 16, 2002, 05:50 PM

it also depends on the humidity and temperature. In NJ, near winter and in winter when temp gets lower and the humidity drops i get shocked. Just hold the door while you get out and this should end your problem.

Quick Reply: Shocking