Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.
View Poll Results: Would you participate or like to see an EVO vs. SRT-4 Competition?
Yes, I would like to compete in or see an EVO vs. SRT-4 competition (drag racing and/or road course)
78.08%
No, I would not like to compete in or see an EVO vs. SRT-4 competition (drag racing and/or road course)
21.92%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

EVO vs. SRT-4 Competition???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowsrt4
The srt handling isnt that horrible...
2003 one lap results:
The following is from AUG2003 C&D:

TOP TEN OVERALL

1. 2002 Chevrolet MTI Z07 (Corvette), SSGT1

2. 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, SSGT1

3. 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10, SSGT1

4. 2001 Ruf RGT, SSGT1

5. 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo, SSGT1

6. 1998 Toyota Supra Turbo, SSGT1

7. 1991 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1, SSGT1

8. 2003 Dodge SRT-4, Mid-Price Sedan

9. 1996 Lamborghini Diablo, SSGT1

10. 2000 Audi S4 Quattro, Luxury Sedan

And yes, there were evos present. Only thing done to the srt was stage 1 and an lsd, which is now standard.
Great job in 2003, but 2004 EVO had to give the SRT-4 guys a reality check Hey atleast the SRT-4 guys finished in 17th or 18th place and won the economy class.
  1. 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo
    SSGT1 BB

Mark DaVia, Drew Wikstrom
  2. 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10
    SSGT1 BB

David Zelkowski, Brian Smith
  3. 2004 Porsche 911 GT3
    SSGT1 BB

David Murry, Royal Ford
  4. 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    SSGT1 BB

Dan Corcoran, Kyle Corcoran
  5. 2003 Vishnu Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
    Mid-Priced Sedan

Paul Gerrard, Shiv Pathak
  6. 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    Mid-Priced Sedan

Blake Fuller, Peter Fuller
  7. 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10
    SUV/Pickup

Marc Musial, Erich Heuschele
  8. 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    SSGT1 BB

Rodney Sizemore, Rick Sizemore
  9. 1996 Chevrolet Corvette
    SSGT2 BB

Timothy McArthur, Andy McArthur
  10. 2003 BMW M5
    Luxury Sedan

Roy Hopkins, Adrienne Hughes,
    Nancy Becker
CLASS WINNERS

SSGT1 BB
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

David Zelkowski, Brian Smith

SSGT1 SB 1999 BMW M coupe
Neil Simon, Woody Hair

SSGT2 BB
1996 Chevrolet Corvette

Timothy McArthur, Andy McArthur

SSGT2 SB
1989 BMW M3

William Caswell, Margaret Caswell

Luxury Sedan 2003 BMW M5
Roy Hopkins, Adrienne Hughes, Nancy Becker

Mid-Priced Sedan
2003 Vishnu Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

Paul Gerrard, Shiv Pathak

Vintage American
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Michael Hickman, Michael Zoner

Vintage Foreign
1979 Porsche 911

Glen Clarke, Louis Frlan III

Economy Car
2004 Dodge SRT-4

Dale Seeley, Jamin Cummings, Dunnie Morgan

SUV/Pickup
1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Ronald Adee, Patrick Adee

Retro
2003 Mini Cooper S

N.W. Butka, John Larson
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:23 PM

Hey...you finally said great job! progress or no?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JoizeeX
srt4 handling isn't the worst in the world of FWD. at least these guys are trying:
http://www.sjr-scca.org/soloii/SJRResults_20050417.htm local autox. the str4's there are from noobs, hence the times.

notice how there are no evo's there? 4 srt4's, whole buncha wrx, 2 sti's.... all this talk about handling and yet no evo attended (myself included, but i'm not sure if i'll autox my evo at all) but at least i don't keep running my mouth. lemme guess where all the local evos were that sunday...prolly a drag strip? so if we're gonna talk about advantages of evo's, why does the comparison always end up talking about stageXXX and 1/4 times? evo's not a drag car, although it's great at it. oh yea, gotta love seeing that ITR all up there with wrx and such. prolly the best balanced FWD car ever. Honduh

and let's not tell ppl who don't track their cars that they shoulda woulda coulda bought a minivan. how do you know those ppl don't go crazy on mountain roads? at least they're not wasting all that performance on a 1/4 strip that lasts about 11-13 secs.
anyway, if i sound too harsh that's 'cause like someone pointed out, lots of BS evo owners out there.
Agreed! EVO owners that bash SRT4s and their owners give us a bad name ...

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Apr 28, 2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my vote is for no
srt-4s should race civics , vws, wrxs, other neons, just not evos
Old Apr 29, 2005, 02:57 AM
Former Vendor

boy these threads are funny
Old Apr 29, 2005, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Well we can't have a local one here in Jacksonville... I've beaten the **** out of every SRT-4 here including the one running around with Stage II and I'm not even the fastest Evo here!
Old Apr 29, 2005, 07:30 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
The srt handling isnt that horrible...
2003 one lap results:
The following is from AUG2003 C&D:

TOP TEN OVERALL

1. 2002 Chevrolet MTI Z07 (Corvette), SSGT1

2. 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, SSGT1

3. 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10, SSGT1

4. 2001 Ruf RGT, SSGT1

5. 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo, SSGT1

6. 1998 Toyota Supra Turbo, SSGT1

7. 1991 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1, SSGT1

8. 2003 Dodge SRT-4, Mid-Price Sedan

9. 1996 Lamborghini Diablo, SSGT1

10. 2000 Audi S4 Quattro, Luxury Sedan

And yes, there were evos present. Only thing done to the srt was stage 1 and an lsd, which is now standard.

... A race prepped SRT4 tuned by Mopar engineers, driven by a repeat national championship autocross driver.... Your point? Don't forget that several of the events where the SRT4 would have been slaughtered by the "big boys" were run in the rain, allowing the SRT4 to keep pace with much much faster cars. Shiv's Evo didn't have that good fortune in '04, and still kept pace.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 07:33 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by loj68
The good thing about a contest like this I guess is that there WILL be cocky EVO owners and cocky SRT-4 owners who will lose.
Good point.

Let's do it.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 07:35 AM
Account Disabled

What is really so interesting is how much SRT-4 Owner like to lie. C & D, R & T ...etc. got the car to go 1/4 in 14.4 or around that area, but everyone that owns a STR-4 got it to go 13.9..... I just want to say "SRT-4 owners who are you crappin...." Please stop the lies, they smell just like you all. Like Shiaatt......
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

i dunno... why even challenge a lower tier car in the first place??? I can see maybe granting them at their request an Evo vs. SRT4... shouldn't we be more concerned with challenging cars above us??? Like, M3's, Vette's, and the sort???

There's nothing wrong with those cars... if i couldn't afford the Evo, i would've prolly bought one of those... and worked on the handling immediately... they got enough oomph for the money...

But anyways... let them come on here and challenge us... then it's a diff ballgame...
Old Apr 29, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by cet_euro
What is really so interesting is how much SRT-4 Owner like to lie. C & D, R & T ...etc. got the car to go 1/4 in 14.4 or around that area, but everyone that owns a STR-4 got it to go 13.9..... I just want to say "SRT-4 owners who are you crappin...." Please stop the lies, they smell just like you all. Like Shiaatt......
ok mag boy, I see your point and I raise you this one...in the cobalt head to head they said the srt ran like a 14.3 1/4 at 99 vs the cobalts 14.4 at 98 or so...however, they managed to get the srt to 100mph in 13.8 sec...ok. Also, in 03 when the srt came out (and didn't even have an lsd) they were being rated in the mags at 13.9, your guess is as good as mine as to why this is.

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
... A race prepped SRT4 tuned by Mopar engineers, driven by a repeat national championship autocross driver.... Your point? Don't forget that several of the events where the SRT4 would have been slaughtered by the "big boys" were run in the rain, allowing the SRT4 to keep pace with much much faster cars. Shiv's Evo didn't have that good fortune in '04, and still kept pace.
If by race prepped you mean dropping in a $300 new PCM and adding a now standard LSD, then ok. I don't know much about autocross, but even if he had a professional driver, who was driving the other cars? If you really wanna make my post moot, which is fine, then the subsequent 04 results are also moot and this particular autocross event should never be referenced again because apparently it means nothing, especially if it has any implication what so ever that an SRT has an ability to turn without rolling and exploding into bloody oblivion.

Some of you just don't get it, I'm not putting your cars down. If I was making what I am now when I was in the market for a car, I'd be driving an EVO now (and I'd still be trading it in for an 07 Cobra, but thats another story) but I couldn't afford it. I'm just saying give the car a little credit, its not some piece of crap that can't perform.

Last edited by slowsrt4; Apr 29, 2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 02:04 PM

Hmmmm SRT-4 is having big problems with Cobalt SS my friends and they have the guts to compare to us?!!!! Wow now that is quality entertainment. First of all there is no SRT-4 into the 10s. People that say that, are full of it. I talked with a couple of shops that tried to get the car into the 10s and they blew up 4 engines. These cars are extremly cheap built and I really don't know why people keep saying they are strong in a straight line. I raced my friends Srt-4 with Stage 3 on it and I stay 3 cars ahead everytime. All I did to my car is a TBE, and MBC. That is it and the guy cannot ever beat me. When I drove his car and he drove mine he pulled 5 or more cars ahead. So just to show you..... But my friend is really cool. He cannot afford a Evo so he bought a SRT-4. He never tought that he could take me even if he upgraded to max. SRT-4 sould worry about Cobalt SS, Saturn and RSX-Type S.
Wow.. you are a moron. Stage 3 would walk your basically stock EVO and make it look like you weren't even racing. Its funny how you say no SRT4s are in the 10s yet Mike Crawford is running in the nines.

Stop making **** up.. nobody is blowing engines trying to get into the tens.. you're so full of it.

We have no need to worry for the RSX-S, Cobalt, or Redline unless they are pretty well modded.. they run high 14s low 15s.. SRTs run high 13s low 14s.

Newsflash.. your EVO isn't God's Chariot dumbass.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 02:11 PM

Way to magazine race, that magazine said an 05 runs 14.4, yet the '04 runs 13.9.
Why don't you look into something more before you post and make yourself look ignorant.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Red SRT
We have no need to worry for the RSX-S, Cobalt, or Redline unless they are pretty well modded.. they run high 14s low 15s.. SRTs run high 13s low 14s.
Lets not get too carried away. All driven well and equal, as well as stock, the RSX-S will turn in a high 14 as is my understanding. The Cobalt and Redline should be pulling mid to low 14s, SRTs, what you said. EVOs and STis, mid to low 13s. Does that sound more accurate? Oh, and stage 3 SRTs are running mid to low 12s.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 02:21 PM

Lets not get too carried away. All driven well and equal, as well as stock, the RSX-S will turn in a high 14 as is my understanding. The Cobalt and Redline should be pulling mid to low 14s, SRTs, what you said. EVOs and STis, mid to low 13s. Does that sound more accurate? Oh, and stage 3 SRTs are running mid to low 12s.
I've been to the track several times and a Redline has not broken 15s. I haven't seen a cobalt run yet but they are supposed to be very similar to the Redline.
Stage 3 will run low 12s and this guy claimed to beat it by five cars with a Boost Controller then said he can beat an SRT if it was "modified to the max". Okay.. so I guess his low 13 second pass is better than any SRT4 run. This guy is so full of himself.. he's worse than any SRT owner I've seen.

"durr my evo was in f&f and brian o connor drives it so that means my lancer evolution is the fastest thing ever."

Quick Reply: EVO vs. SRT-4 Competition???